“Excellent for the money paid”

Rainbow International Hotel
Ranked #51 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Bath, United Kingdom
“Excellent for the money paid”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Wanted a weekend away with a friend. Looked around and found the Rainbow International. On checking the hotel web site found that they had a specialist weekend. (Psychic Weekend). Not really my cup of tea but they were offering a bed, breakfast and evening meal package and free entry to all the different events for £75.00 per person for two nights this seemed like excellent value.

Upon arrival there is no getting away from the fact that the hotel is a little tired and dated. But we were given a friendly welcome on reception and dealt with very quickly. On arrival at our room again it was a little tired and dated and the wallpaper on all four walls took a bit of adjustment but the room was spotlessly clean. I think we were at the back of the main part of the hotel, as I had lost my sense of bearings due to the layout of the hotel, our window overlooked the trees so it was very pleasant. I think we must have had one of the bathrooms that had been updated as it was bright and clean (not at all like the pictures I had seen from previous reviewers) I was pleasantly surprised to find that we had a Jacuzzi bath but was slightly confused by the shower arrangement. The bath had a mixer tap with shower head but this was fixed to the wall very low down. (Ok if you wanted to wash your knees) There was no shower curtain or enclosure so didn’t use it for fear of flooding the bathroom. (Have to say I do prefer a shower in the morning). At the time I woke up in the morning there was only tepid water available for the bath so not the most pleasant way to have a bath but not the end of the world.

Going down to dinner we were greeted warmly by the staff and taken through in detail how we severed ourselves to the three course meal. There were two different soups on offer along with three choices for your main meal and then a variety of sweets. All the food was hot and well cooked and thoroughly enjoyed on both evenings. In our case as we left the table to get our next course by the time we came back the table was clear of the previous course. One thing I did miss in the evening, or it could be down to me not asking, there was no coffee or tea available. The bar was open so you could buy wine and drinks for your meal but I do like a cup of coffee to round off a good meal. (again a personal preference).

Breakfast was the same arrangement helping yourself to juices and cereals and then a cooked breakfast. Only two points for me with the breakfast was no mushrooms (personal favourite) and no scrambled egg (preferred over fried) but again the quality of the food was excellent. (have to say compliments to the chef as the fried eggs did not have hard bottoms and the yolk was runny, lovely)

I am due back with my husband in a couple of weeks, again to a speciality weekend and have not been put off at all. The comfy bed, clean room, excellent food, friendly staff and value for money more than make up for the tired and dated décor.

Watch this space for my return visit review

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank cheyanne50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Poor welcome at reception, as if was part of a coach party, staff couldn't be bothered to walk us to the stairs, and then it was a nightmare to find our room. The room was dirty, damp, cramped, moulds windows, damp bedspread, very old decor. Good ok, not good and not bad, soup was very salty, breakfast was ok, nothing to get excited about. Had entertainment in the rainbow club and it was freezing all night. I felt slightly unwell after the first night, so cut my holiday short by 2 nights. There was not anything worth staying for and was more than happy to lose out. To sum it up, I handed my key at reception and was barely acknowledge, so no opportunity to give feedback, which is probably what he wanted to avoid. Very disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Erica121holland

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

stourbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week in Torquay. Was a bit hesitant after reading previous reviews but found hotel clean, comfortable, and good variety in meals. Very pleased with everything and wouldn't hesitate in going back. I think people who have left negative remarks need to remember you get what you pay for.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank gilldstourbridge
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

You get exactly what you pay for, have just returned from a stay using Just Go coaches.
The hotel needs a little more love and attention, but for what we paid I am not complaining. The room was clean and acceptable, the staff were excellent, the restaurant was mostly acceptable with the exception of the last morning queued for 20 minutes to get in, then no porridge when delivered it wasn't cooked, rest of food that morning not great; but the rest of the week was perfectly acceptable. They obviously cannot cope when all the coach trips are departing.
But as I say you get what you pay for, will I return? Probably will.

Room Tip: If you want peace ask for a room at the rear.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

5 star attention at 3 star hotel. The Christmas decorations were beautifully done, the room was comfortable and warm, the food was simple but very well cooked, and the staff were all friendly and attentive. Would definitely stay again. Very conveniently situated . The hotel is a little tired looking, but I gather it will be redecorated soon.

Room Tip: Try to get room in upper hotel as quite a walk from lower, but then that's healthy to walk off t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank roybain
Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed at the Rainbow on a bargain 'Just Go' coach break. OK, the hotel does need a bit of modernising, especially the bedrooms, but it was comfortable and clean, the food was very good and all of the staff were absolutely excellent - especially the kitchen and restaurant teams, who were friendly, cheerful and very efficient. In fact, I don't think I have ever been in a hotel where the tables were cleared so promptly and efficiently, and that includes some five-star establishments. My main complaint would be the lack of soundproofing as we could sometimes hear next door's television and also a lot of creaking floorboards from an apparently insomniac guest in the room above. However, it's an old building and it's difficult to imagine that much could be done. Earplugs solved the problem! All in all we thought it was good value for what we paid. We were comfortable, warm and well-fed, which is all that one can really ask.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Catterick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

A tired hotel needing a lot of tlc, but more than compensated for by the wonderful staff. Our room needed some updating, but it was clean, very comfortable and a good size. Without exception every member of staff we encountered was friendly and helpful. The food was excellent, a good range of meals and as much or as little as you required. I was very impressed by the breakfast which can sometimes be a let-down at this type of hotel. The public areas are very good. A massive entertainment bar which we didn't take advantage of but I understand from other guests was excellent. There was a lot going on in the hotel but we found it quiet with no disturbance. Overall, amazing value, I'd definitely recommend the Rainbow International.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple