“enjoyable stay”

Ranked #55 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“enjoyable stay”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

yes a bit tired in places, we asked to change our room because there was no shower, we had room 416 it was lovely newish bathroom etc,rest of room nice and clean. the staff here are very happy to help and are polite and courteous, the restaurant, needs carpet cleaning, but apart from that the food and chefs were very good, lots of choice and daily specials, you could not complain about it. overall a lovely holiday we went on a coach trip value for money absolutely

1 Thank susan h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Polish first
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Do not stay at this hotel if you can call it that its filthy after staying here i was in a single room smaller than a wendy house on tthe bottom floor only that room down long corriders laundry storage and my room what was constantly red hot noisy only found out it was because a staff member told me on leaveing it was joined on to the boiler room they said no other rooms to move too only one light worked a large weed had grown through the pvc window on to the bed just like trifids was told lights would be fixed they never were filty carpets needed shoveling up bare wires hung down as a woman on my own this room leaves you very vunerable in long corrider with no other rooms rooms in the hotel were broken in to on tuesday night no one from the hotel told guests to be aware i had to buy a fan because the room was so hot a night porter said to me on the morning i was leaveing what room you in told him 201 he said its smallest room in hotel i dont like going down there it freaks me out down that corrider nobody will stay in that room i had told reception several times i felt very vunerable down there food was terrible was told head chef was off saw manager on leaveing he had been missing all week told him he acted as if he was surprised liar i already knew because staff had told me not a few stairs but 4 flights down to rooms why coach tours take old people what make up a large number on these tours there beats me will hundreds of stairs and one lift in just one part of building i will never know the lift carries just 4 people lift has a mind of its own goes any where but where you press jams breaks down with people in saw lots of old people upset because they had been trapped in lift they had to get in or face hundreds of stairs this hotel does not need updateing but knocking down and instead of passing the book manager when you do show your face as a member of staff said you dont like guest knowing you are there may i suggest you sort your flea pit of a hotel out if thats what you can call it how it gets past health and safety i will never know hotel inspector please go there your work will never be done

Room Tip: no tip no good rooms
2 Thank sharon1954
Roger H, Operations Director at Riviera Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Sharon 1054
I am extremely surprised about many of your comments many of which are totally false. firstly you booked and got a single room, all single rooms are smaller than doubles, room 201 is a lovely clean room on the garden level I am sorry you felt vulnerable, but your room is in a corridor with 24 other rooms and the housekeeping department . It is indeed near a boileroom but has you had noticed we were in the hottest time of the year and the heating is switched off.

All the lights work in your room and had been checked by the housekeeper they just needed to be switched on.

The Trifid on your bed was "as reported in the maintenance book" was a sprig of a climber growing on the outside wall of your room trapped in one of the two opening windows and not on your bed.

No rooms had been broken into at any time during your stay and security information is supplied to all rooms in the directory.

Regarding food we rarely get adverse comments regarding food and we serve nearly 600 meals per day.

Nobody at ant time was trapped in the lift or ever have been but we do warn guests that if they overload the lift it may stop with them inside.and here were no issues with the lift during your stay. What does surprise guests in level 1 &2 is that they are below the entrance which is on level 3 and many press the button and are taken down to level one & two not up as they may be expecting.

As for seeing me before you left this is also incorrect, you spoke to a duty manager and he was surprised and not a "Liar" as you called him. He had indeed been missing all week as he was on holiday but I was there and at no time did you ask to speak to me And I do not hide from my guests..

All our information states we have lift access to many rooms, you had lift access to yours and if you wanted to use stairs there are only 12 steps down to your room.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us

Roger Hulstone
Operations Director

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

hotel very tired,rooms grubby and shaby carpets well worn, food good, entertainment good, and the were staff very helpfull in dining room, its quite a big hotel a bit like a warren corridors everywhere and stairs everywhere.

Room Tip: ask for the bungalow its really a challet but they call it a bungalow.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Before completing this review I read a lot of other reviews so I fully expect a defence from Roger (see other reviews) but it will not change our experience, which was not as good as we had hoped. I wish I had read all the reviews before hand but c'est la vie.

The hotel is actually two buildings located next to each other. I am guessing that the large rooms pictured in the adverts are in the other building and not the one housing the reception, pool and club and where a lot of the rooms are.

Reception: I have no problem with the reception staff they were helpful and polite but can't make up for some of the hotel's short comings. To sort those problems needs investment which clearly isn't going to happen. Its not that the staff don't care it just there is little they can do. The hotel needs a refit or a visit from the hotel inspector.

Our room: 4th floor (depending on where you are counting from). Cramped. The additional bed makes it even more cramped and I read someone else said about the need to shimmy - ain't that the truth. Its all very cramped and not the spacious size in the pictures. On the plus side, if you like a firm mattress (and we do) you are on to a winner.

NB Roger don't deny that most rooms are cramped as is the corridor accessing the rooms. The bed linen seemed clean but the bedspread smelt. We asked for it to be taken away and it was but not sure why it was so smelly in the first place (we didn't notice the first night because we had taken it off as the room was warm). I also noticed the lack of a hoover amongst the cleaning staff and I am guessing that only comes out on special occasions.

Bathroom: The bathroom was almost functional although we didn't get a towel change on the first day and had to ask for it the next day - just be sure to leave a note would be my advice as the policy on changing isn't clearly set out in the room. Oh and don't expect a bath because the controls are fixed to shower mode.

Food: We only had breakfast (and chose before we went that we would eat out) so these comments relate to the morning buffet. Welcomed on arrival and told it was a buffet and pointed to available seating. Strangely the feedback form asks if the buffet arrangement is fully explained. Not sure what more I was going to be told.
My advice is get in the dining room early not because it is ever overly full (the staff clean and reset swiftly) but the food seems to have been cooked for the 7.30 start and by 8.45 the fried bread is more like crisped bread, the eggs were going hard and the bacon was curling. The food was hot but the handles for the buffet tongs were hotter still. The toaster machine seemed to have a mind of its own and charred most peoples toast. Coffee was from a machine and pretty much OK (Tea likewise). Fruit juice was fine. The sausages lacked any taste and everything was a bit bland. Given that we were in Devon which pride itself on quality local produce it seemed the hotel didn't source locally and it was all a bit tasteless. A lost opportunity?

The Pool: Photographed from a good angle and seemed much smaller than in the picture. Temperature of the pool was fine. I agree with another reviewer that you could hardly call it a swim. Six strokes and you were at the other end. That said, as a poor swimmer it suited me ok but my wife was a bit disappointed.

Car Park: With the hotel spread over two buildings it seems like there is plenty of space but it is on a steep slope and not easy to manouvre in and out of spaces. Not sure what the hotel can do about this but maybe they should get a planner in to mark out the spaces to optimise the parking space and prioritise spaces for residents.

Overall: Not somewhere I will rush back to or recommend to others but I suspect the hotel will survive without my custom.

Room Tip: Insist on a double not a family room or book at the Premier Inn, its only down the road.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mike S
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have just returned from the fifth holiday in 3 years at the Rainbow and once again we have been delighted we always request the same room and have always got it, it is on the fifth floor, but there is a lift although we quite often prefer the steps as the exercise does you good (I am 81 and have had a triple bypass), it is a matter of taking your time, We have always found the staff in all departments polite and helpful, The hotel is spotless and the food is excellent with a good selection, we always travel with National and the price is excellent value, we are already looking forward to returning next year, The room we have had is adequately furnished and the deco is fine, there is just a small piece of boarder missing that looks to have been torn off by a child as it is next to the single bed, but that is the only fault.
It is conveniently located just a five minute walk don to the sea and about 15 - 20 minutes gentle walk to the town centre. If people do not like hills they should not come to Torbay.
This break was to celebrate Diamond Wedding (It wasn't that week but was as near as we could get to 12th Sept.
The cabaret bar is fantastic and the entertainment good. There is an indoor heated swimming pool but sadly I have only had time to take advantage of it twice.

Room Tip: We like to be on the fifth floor because of the view at the back of the hotel
1 Thank Geoffrey L
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend over the August bank holiday.
We got a good deal as we had looked at other hotels and couldn't find anything suitable.We paid £119 each for three nights breakfast bed and evening meal.I have to say the food was more than adequate with a full cooked breakfast or cereal or toast of a morning.Of an evening there was a choice of three main meals all really nice.
On our arrival we were greeted by lovely people on reception who promptly checked us in and directed us to our room.Our room was 137 which was down in the bowels of the hotel. I must say didn't like it much lots of stairs.We went back to reception and asked could we possibly change rooms.We were advised to come back in the morning and they would move us if possible,which they duly did, so no complaints.
Really good service.
There is a club /function room in hotel which was good, usual entertainment.We went down to the Marina and surrounding bars which was great.All in all a lovely break.The hotel is handy for everything walking distance 5mins to beach and Marina.

1 Thank margy2011
Nuneaton
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Recently returned from a 4 night stay with Harry Shaw . My comments seem to be very similar to most. The food is first class. Good choice, plentyful and hot. staff are a very friendly bunch.Our room (226) was fine.clean and in quite reasonable decor.But it appears that room size and standards vary quite a bit.The hotel is several building joined together thus long corridors, but there is very little managment can do about this.

1 Thank RobertDNuneaton