“Great Venue for parties/weddings”
Review of Riviera Hotel

Riviera Hotel
Ranked #56 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary and his 40th birthday in style ! The party room was wonderful and just perfect for our needs. We were able to party into the night surrounded by all of our family, friends and most importantly children! The room looked AMAZING when set up. Service was great and bar staff were friendly. The hotel manager made sure that everything went off without a hitch! I can't recommend it enough! Breakfast was tasty and the children loved the swimming pool! A. Great time had by all!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Carole B
There are newer reviews for Riviera Hotel

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We should have known on arrival what we were in for! Gentleman on reception had little English, was flustered and couldn't find our booking. Took a seat and waited for a room, 525 was the lucky number! Fifth floor take the lift (only 3 people at a time or the lift will stop with you in it!) Reach room eventually open door its a family room!!! well I limbo, shimmy sort of thing past the single bed which sticking out so far that it almost touches the wardrobe blocking your access to the double bed (which was booked) by the same token once by the double bed your access to the bathroom is now blocked....... Plaster missing in parts from around the window. I sit on the bed and see the note that Teresa served our room today....well she didn't manage to wave a duster under the dressing table or hoover in the corners. I know lets have a cup of tea!! The cups were all sticky along with the teaspoons and saucers...shimmy past single bed to bathroom to give them a nice wash...shimmy back, not a bad cup of tea. Oh well downstairs and book our evening meal. We now have a nice young lady who isn't sure if the restaurant is open to residents tonight as it has a private party. She did later ring us to confirm that the chef would do some extras for us. Back from our walk and ask if we can see a menu for later......oh no we don't have a menu as we have had students in but I will ask the chef. Ok, well we will have a swim in the pool before dinner (oh no we won't) it was not big enough to actually swim! Went to dining room at 7 and asked if we could get a drink with our meal. Oh no we have a private party in so no drinks. Helpful gentleman says he will get the bar (closed for private party) to bring us in some drinks. The meal was excellent value for money, soup, carvery and dessert £10 each bargain. Come out of the dining room to sit in the lounge........ oh no Education First students litter the place and continued to do so during our entire stay.... I would not recommend this Hotel to anyone. It was not the fault of the staff but please spend some money on your accommodation and staff training. Also give your chef and his team a medal as they are the only redeeming feature of our stay.

Room Tip: Don't book at the Rainbow International
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Lynn W
Roger H, Operations Director at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Lynnw,
Thank you very much for your comments, and I'll follow them through in order of your review.
I don't know why you should have known what you were in for when you arrived at the hotel; the gentleman on reception that greeted you was a waiter covering for the receptionist as she went to the assistance of a disabled lady in her room. You were asked to take a seat in the lounge opposite reception and the receptionist returned within a few minutes alongside myself, who had also been assisting. As for only 3 people being able to go into the lift at a time, it actually takes 5, however with bagage and other perifery, the volume of weight soon goes up in the lift. What people tend to forget is the lift will move with 5 people in, but it is a very unpleasant experience to be trapped in a confined space whilst the lift company are contacted to come and assist to lower the lift. As there were only 2 of you, I don't understand why you were concerned.
Regarding your room, had you have requested a change of room with the receptionist it could have been arranged. I am sorry you had dust under the dressing table and in a corner of the room, this was immediately rectified. As for the cups being sticky, I do not know the reason for that, they are perfectly ok at the moment.
You make out that we did not know what was going on within our hotel and restaurant, yet in your booking information from Booking.Com under 'Important Information', it clearly states the following: 'Please note that there will be no evening dinner or cabaret entertainment available from 28 June until 16 July 2013. Breakfast will still be available and the swimming pool and bar will remain open. Please note that from the 28 June to 16 July 2013 the hotel will be host to a large number of foreign students. During this time, the property will be very busy and may be noisy. Please note that there will also be no evening dinner or entertainment available. Breakfast will be served as normal, and the swimming pool and bar will remain open'. That is the reason that the recepion staff had to ask regarding your dinner booking and regarding the menu as you had booked on a Bed and Breakfast basis. The bar was open from 7pm and drinks are available in the restaurant so I am not sure how you were given such strange information. The swimming pool is perfectly big enough to swim in, it is only 3ft 6in deep in line with local council regulations so I think had you read the Important Information on your booking, many of your issues would not have occurred. The students that you mention littering the place were valued guests in the hotel and this was highlighted in the 'Important Information' of your booking. I would however like to thank you for your excellent comments on the food and hope you return to us again.

Roger - Operations Director

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights whilst celebrating my mums 60th birthday. My partner, 7 month old baby and I had a huge family room which suited us perfectly and was nice and clean. The menu choice for the Saturday birthday meal was fabulous and tasted amazing! Everyone had a great time in the hotel's nightclub dancing the night away afterwards to the live entertainment.
We also made good use of the swimming pool which was a good temperature for my baby.
All in all, we had a superb weekend and staff's attentiveness made it such an enjoyable weekend for all of us who attended.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Had another great stay in the Rainbow Hotel in Torquay. Great food, fun times and great live music in the night club, and all my nephews loved the pool. The staff are friendly and helpful and the location is great.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Vicki L
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights last week and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.The food was superb in the evening hot and a great choice.The breakfasts let it down a little fine if you wanted an English breakfast every morning but there were no rolls to have a continental breakfast and the toasters they had to toast bread didnt work in every slot so if you came down when the restaurant opened in the morning you had a long queue for toast..toasters that work cant be that expensive surely

Saying that I would definately stay there again if I was visiting torquay as the hotel is centrally located for the seafront and town

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank james s
Reviewed June 30, 2013

i went with national holidays with my girlfriend we wasnt very happy we would have been happer in a tent it was that bad we bought some bleach to clean the bathroom before we used it save your money and go some where else.and the swiming pool wasnt clean to put a dog init. just stay away

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank jwl73

Dear jwl73,
Thank you for your comments. The only issue we have with your room is the bath does have some scarring at the base of it, but is perfectly clean. The swimming pool is cleaned externally every morning and afternoon and the water is checked every morning and afternoon and it is perfectly clean. Your comments do not reflect to the rest of your group that were with you on that holiday, so as you suggested perhaps you should stay away.

Roger - Operations Director

Reviewed June 30, 2013

the hotel is great for the location just 5 mins walk to the beach, the food is great but the entertainment has really gone down hill since we last went they had different acts but with the same jokes and on weds they have a disco night which used to be excellent but all the DJ played was beatles and abba which was not disco music

Room Tip: ask for a room near the lift otherwise its loads of corridors and loads of steps
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple