“rainbow”
Review of Riviera Hotel

Riviera Hotel
Ranked #55 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed May 14, 2013

just come back from short stay at Rainbow.Staff very friendly,hotel a bit old fashioned.Meals excellent,carvery with different roast every night plus alternative e.g chicken curry plus vegetarianoption.10 minute walk into Torquay town centre .handy for buses to paignton,brixham,and newton abbot..Entertainment every night but drinks a bit pricey.Would go back anytime

Room Tip: Low floor is best.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank walterfromleeds

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed for a 3-night week-end and had a good group deal (2 coaches). It was therefore very good value for money. The evening meal was buffet-style and very good. Our room was a reasonable size and the staff were very pleasant. If you are planning to swim be aware that the pool is small.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms above the ground floor - 4xx & 5xx
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

just arrived home after an excellant weekend in torquay staying at the rainbow international. bril; hotel with reception giving us a great welcome. rooms were clean and well kept,bathroom was very clean and the cleaners were great. restraunt and food was first class. entertainment in the evening was outstanding. down side, the bar don't open until 5 pm. all said and done hotel was bril;

Room Tip: ask for room near the lifts as corridors are a bit narrow and rather long
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ivorandrews
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have just returned from a 5 day National Coach Trip from this Hotel, I booked for myself and my brother so I was expecting a double room, we were allocated a triple, a bonus right from the start. The room was more than ample for 2, it was more than adequately furnished and had an LCD TV. The en suite, although it did have a shower fitting it was one for washing your hair over the bath, plenty of hot water for a bath though. The food was faultless, we had a carvery every night, I hasten to add there were other options if you so desired. All in all, I had a most enjoyable stay at this hotel and wouldn't hesitate if offered the chance to stay again...........

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Norman S
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed here for two nights for £59.50. A bargain. The staff were very welcoming and pleasant when I checked in and made sure I had everything i needed. The room was clean and tidy and very comfortable. I booked a single room, which turned out to be a double, which was much better. There was plenty of towels in the bathroom. The bar downstairs was pleasant and great for coming back after an evening out. The bed was nice and comfy and I got a good nights sleep. The location was great, only a 10 minute walk into town and not far from the train station. I enjoyed my stay here and will definately recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank BuzzBee202
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We booked this trip through ukbreakaways - for the price the holiday was well worth it. The food was gorgeous; it was a carvery each night but that didn't matter to us because it was so tasty. The chefs also accommodated for our children by offering them fish fingers and or chicken nuggets if they wanted it each night. They also offered 2 specials each night alongside the carvery (e.g. a vegetarian and a curry or fish dish) but I think these could have been a little more inventive! The staff were lovely and really went out of their way to put customers first. The pool was actually warm when we went in (which seems to contradict other customer reviews). The entertainment was good and my children enjoyed it too. The only real criticism I have is that there is no bingo or entertainment on the Wednesday eve (apparently because many people go to the theatre this night) but instead they put a SINGLES night disco on for non-residents. Honestly, it was uncomfortable and I don't think matches the reputation of the rest of the holiday. If I was the hotel management I would greatly evaluate this decision because we went over to the Derwent hotel (across the road) on the Wednesday eve and it was still packed for the entertainment. The only other part of the hotel that needs some investment is the exterior - the flags are in rags and the hotel looks dirty from the outside which really doesn't reflect the interior or rooms at all which are clean and comfortable. I will def return and recommend, especially for the price. Also a great location and the little Torquay train stops directly outside the hotel (just outside the Derwent) and comes round every 40 minutes for guests who would not want to walk.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank OffDutyMysteryShoppa
Reviewed April 16, 2013

A 4 night break courtesy of Travelstyle - this is the 3rd time I've stayed at the Hotel since 2009. Our room 221 was really cosy despite the Arctic temperatures outside, and the room was serviced daily by a very good cleaner. Breakfast and dinner self service - food was well cooked, especially the meat on the carvery in the evening, very good quality. Lots of Pensioners on coach trips! Restaurant opened at 6.30pm and there was a queue of Pensioners waiting to get in there there every night - there was never any shortage of food available or a lack of tables, so why they thought they needed to queue so early beats me! Service very good in restaurant from all the Staff. Wouldn't hesitate to book again for a bargain break.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family