“Charming Hotel”

Ranked #56 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Paignton
“Charming Hotel”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed here for a Northern Soul night and found the hotel lovey, warming, busy and the staff were charming and friendly. There was also an Elvis Weekender on aswell which added a bit of sparkle. The location is ideal being a 2 minute walk to the seafront. Torquay is lovely.
I would recommend staying here. Elvis has left the building, thank you very much!

Room Tip: Get a front facing room to get a look at the world going by
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank stephmurphy1966
Roger H, Operations Director at Rainbow International Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Mrs Murphy,

Thank you for your wonderful review, The Nothern Soul night was a brilliant night as was the Elvis weekender, I am glad that you enjoyed both. We are hoping to do them again next year so please check us out in the new year when we will have some dates confirmed.

Look forward to welcoming you back.
KTF

Roger Hulstone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Polish first
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We are going to the Rainbow this weekend with our grandchildren and can't wait. We have been several times over the years. We have been there for Christmas, new year and between both. We have stayed during the summer and in the winter and each time had a brilliant time. The food is excellent and we have never had a cold meal. The staff work very hard and are always willing to help. Yes some of the rooms are a little tired but how much time do you actually spend in them. A holiday is what you make it and providing the food is good, the room clean, the staff friendly does it really matter that the carpet has started to fray. We had a group of 12 of us staying between Christmas and New year and there was an issue with one of the rooms and it was sorted immediately. We think it is a great hotel, with great food and at a great price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrea S
Dear Andrea S,

Thank you for your lovely review, I think I have tracked you down on our records from your Sidmouth address. I look forward to welcoming you personally on you arrival.

Kindest Regards

newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed October 17, 2012

nice hotel, staff are amazing, food is delicious and to die for, i was there the beginning of august however did have problems with italian holiday makers in the room next to us who kept us awake all night however when reported it to the management roger (lovely man) he offered to move us rooms and was very appologetic but we didnt want to move rooms we came to devon to see my fiance daughter and spend time with her and think the rainbow hotel is an ideal location for us to stay and we will be returning again on november the 5TH for 5 days and also will be returning next year in feburary 2013 to the rainbow hotel, i would reccomend this hotel as i said previously the food is amazing staff are lovely and rooms are very good in size and very comfy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Roger H, Operations Director at Rainbow International Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Kirsty H,

Thank you for your lovely review and the compliments to our food, service and housekeeping standards and even myself. I look forward to your return in February and we will do our best to ensure you have a great stay with us. Please give me a call when booking and we can organise the best room suitable for your stay.

Kindest Regards
Roger
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

excellent service throughout the stay, room very clean, reception on arrival was second to none, only problem was the lift which was going up and down and we had to wait some time before reaching the second floor. Food was very good as was the catering staff. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Roger H, Operations Director at Rainbow International Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Ken a,

Thank you for your wonderful review and I hope you return soon , sorry the lift kept going up & down but its the only way it works !! glad you had a good time.

Regards

Roger
Newcastle
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed here for two nights. Upon arrival the car park was full and cars were blocked in due to this. So not the best start to our trip.
The welcome at reception was pleasant, we were given our keys and an information sheet with breakfast times etc.
I had a double room with my husband and could not believe how small it was. There was a small walkway with bathroom and then a double bed and desk against the wall and you could not even squeeze a suitcase on the floor, the room was tiny. The furniture was dark, old and severely scratched. There was a kettle with tea and coffee sachets and a small flat screen tv. The tv had Rainbow Hotel written on it with tippex and there were wonky signs including one which said not to leave valuables in the room and to remember to close windows :-/
The bed was uncomfortable, a sprung mattress with springs that dug into you. The covers were made up of a sheet, blanket and bed cover.
The decor was tired, frayed bits of carpet were evident, the border was peeling on several parts of the wall, the windows were old and need replacing.
The bathroom was better, it was reasonably clean but the shower was a nightmare to get to a constant temperature. The door to the bathroom was broken.
There was no hairdryer in the room and so I looked on the hotel directory which said something like 'if you have forgotten your hairdyer, we may have a limited number at reception that you can use with a deposit'. I have never stayed in a hotel before where a hairdyer was not available and reception said none were available.
I had an issue with the security measures as I handed my key to reception on leaving and when I returned to collect it, another member of staff handed it to me without even checking my name to see that it was even my room.
The hotel has a swimming pool which I did not use so cannot comment. It also had a nightclub which was quite large and the entertainment was Butlins style but great for a family. The bar prices were slightly higher than your standard pub so not too bad for a hotel. The lounge and dining areas were large and pleasant. Plenty of tables, the waiting staff were good and plates were cleared away quickly.
Breakfast was buffet style including the hot food which was quite cold when I had it and cheap sausages etc. There were also cereals available but don't expect pastries or anything continental.
I had the lunch time carvery, lovely meat and massive portions. The potatoes were poor and I saw that everyone left them. A good selection of help yourself desserts and these were tasty.
The location is good, about 10 minutes walk to the town centre, there is a pub opposite and it is not far from the sea front.
This hotel is 3 star and the food and communal areas matched this. However in my opinion the bedroom was more a 2 star. We paid £80 for bed and breakfast and this was off peak, I have stayed in far better 3 star hotels for a much lower price. I would have valued my room with breakfast at about £50.
I really could not recommend this hotel unless you manage to get it really cheap and won't be spending much time there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Newvastlemonkey

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Kikcaldy
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We spent 4 nights here on a coach holiday. Our room was pleasant and clean, yes it was a bit tired in places but it was clean. We read a lot of negative reviews about the hotel prior to going and were expecting to appear in an episode of the "Hotel Inspector" but were pleasantly surprised. We were late in arriving and they still provided a full dinner buffet. The staff were always pleasant and helpful. I would say for what we paid for the break it was more than worth it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Robert C
Roger H, Operations Director at Rainbow International Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Robert C,
Thank you for your delightful review, the team are happy to know that you had a good time with us and are pleased you took no notice of adverse that were posted on this site.

We hope you return soon

Kindest regards
UK
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband myself and father-in-law booked two rooms next to each other for 4 nights on the 17th of September 2012.On arrival the reception staff were very pleasant.We had to wait some time for the lift to go up and down up and down before eventually arriving to take us to the 5th floor and it only allows 4 people,but with 3 cases as well it was a tight fit.Got to our rooms...not the best in the world but sheets where clean,furniture needs a wash and restaining as there was lots of splashes of what looked like milk dried on them.No double glazing and the nights were getting cold.You could feel the springs in the matress..Meals were ok a selection of offerings meat and veg curry,pasta,salad etc. My advise would be to have your evening meal about 6.45pm when all the pensioners have had theirs as they like to get there dead on 6 pm.The dining room staff where very polite and efficient,they worked very hard cleaning and laying the tables and kept it very clean.
The lounge was very cold next to reception and could seat about 20/25 people..even though there were about 200 guests at the time.it does not look at all like the photo,this selection of furniture has long gone...must have been photographed more than 30 years ago.There was broken biscuit behind the winged armchair to the left of the fireplace for the whole 5 days we were there,which we mentioned on our survey form before leaving.There was a lovely small swimming pool but the 6 Italian male students there at the time and were dive bombing all the time and spoiled it for people even though reception have a monitor there,they said they were busy and had not seen them...bull...we were in the pool for 45 minutes and you tell me they did not see them,there is meant to be no diving or jumping in the pool.
Entertainment is bingo and a female singer on Monday evening,it drags on for so long,we didn't play,but I found myself willing someone to shout HOUSE so that it would end.The lady who calls the bingo was also the entertainment for the evening,She has a wonderful voice but is very patronising to the elderly residents and spoke to them as if they were children,she should do more singing and leave out the jokes she is no comedian.
Another evening there was a man singer and comedian name Chris he had a fantastic voice and a good entertainer but his jokes about the elderly were disgusting......(remember ladies when you were young and you stuffed socks down your bra to make them look bigger...now your boobs are in you socks.......told one old lady "don't cross your arms you'll curdle your milk",He just went on all the time about their sex lives or non existance of it,I and my family were disgusted and left.He would be better at just singing oldies songs and entertaining the crowd they would have loved that as he had a cracking voice.
Our room had no heating for 3 days and condensation ran down the windows in the morning,we had cracked floor tiles in the bathroom and the wash-hand basin was cracked.The heating was reported and was on the on the 4th day.
The swimming pool area had a ladies and gents shower room and the water was stone cold,and also the mens were cold,it was torture to have to shower in freezing cold water,it was reported and repaired the next day,but the floor in the shower room was filthy dirty,there were hair grips on the floor for the full 5 days we were there,I took the shower head off the shower and squirted the floor you should have seen the chunks of dirt come away from between the tiles...I don't think they had ever been washed.
We booked privately and drove down to the hotel,have to be honest but we would not go back to this hotel ever even if it was free.We feel sorry for the staff there who have to put up with this every day.
Torquay is lovely we have been there many times,there is a big wheel like
London eye,£4 if you are over 60 and £5 for adults,wonderful views.There is a ferry which is a 30 minutes over the sea to Brixham which is wonderful value £2 return.In Brixham they have a replica of the Golden Hind which you can go on,and is a lovely bustling town where people are very friendly.
Father-in-law is a bit unsteady on his feet and they do have a ramp outside the hotel..but you have to climb about 6/7 steps up to the function area and a few then down to the bar and toilets.I would like to have got up and danced but there was no apportunity as he only sang one song and then on to his disgusting jokes again so most people sat down.
Old people do not choose to be old,it is thrust upon them they do not want to be reminded about their hearing their incontinence or their non existance sex lives,many are widows and widowers...shame on the comedian...don't think you are at all funny.

Room Tip: Don't have room 521 or 522.Not sure if there are better.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank bobbyboyuk
Roger H, Operations director at Rainbow International Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Bobbyboyuk,

Thank you for your review and the comments you put to us,as well as the great comments on Torquay and the surrounding area, however some points I must put a reply to. The first thing you wrote was correct "This is not a four star hotel" we are not and we are not wishing to be in any star rating scheme, so why review us to four star standards when we clearly are not a four star hotel.

The picture of the library that you mention as " been taken 30 years ago" was taken 5yrs ago and the library as been recently been re-decorated, the same chairs recovered, has the same tables and still has the same Chesterfield arm chairs (where we hide a biscuit for guests that are bored to check on each day) it is the same!.

The library does sit about 25 guests as you correctly stated, and we do have up to 300 guests in our hotel, most guests use the main lounge that seats 150 or the club that seats a further 400 so there is no problem with seating space as you implied.

The entertainers we employ know only to well the age of our guests and their shows reflect this, they do crack some jokes about age and all its issues, but I would like to think that the vast majority know the funny side as well as the down side of ageing. They would never insult or belittle any of our guests what ever their age or infirmity.

Chris Chaplin our main entertainer is one of the most popular in south Devon and brings to us a vast number of guests from other hotels that wish to see his show. On Chris's Promotional boards he is described as a man with " the voice of an Angel with a Devilish sense of humour"
and he lives up to that description, he is loved buy the vast majority of our guests, in fact you are the only guests that have complained about him ,yet go on to repeat his "Disgusting" gags to others on this site.

I am sorry that you would not return to us as the team and myself would do our very best to ensure you had a great holiday.

Yours Sincerely