“hotel of horrors”

Ranked #51 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Irvine, United Kingdom
“hotel of horrors”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

I travelled from Ayrshire to cornwall,stopping en route at lake district,and alton towers at fantastic hotels.We couldnt believe our eyes as we walked into the hotel.it smells of old cabbage.our room looked like a grubby bedsit with ripped wallpaper mildew cracked tiles,torn,dirty,threadbare carpet.I approached the acting manager who immediately offered me a different room which was not much of an improvement .The manager offered to move us to another hotel and i accepted this.My 3 children and i sat in our smelly,grubby room waiting to be moved.When i called reception to see how things were progressing,the previously friendly acting manager sharply stated she could not find anything at the£120.00 per night we had paid therefore that was that.I asked her why she hadn,t told us that 3 hours earlier as we had sat all afternoon waiting.On leaving there are infact numerous hotels including premier inn nearby.This hotel completely misleads with its brochure pictures and description of rooms.We stayed in 3star hotels all week and felt completely pampered.there is absolutely no way this hotel can be 3 star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: dont stay in room 414 unless you enjoy the grubby bedsit experience
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank romy k

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Stayed for 4 day break. Having read some reviews was a bit sceptical about what to expect, but found the hotel staff welcoming and friendly, the rooms comfortable and well-appointed, and the food very good value. The indoor pool is excellent. The nighclub is great.

About 10 minutes stroll from sea front. Outside of hotel could do with a spruce up, but staff say that's underway. All in all, comfortable, value fo money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Staffordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

Just come back from my holiday at the Rainbow International Hotel in Torquay... and I don't know where to start.

It was self-service and it didn't say it WAS in the brochure otherwise I wouldn't have come!
Soup for starter EVERY SINGLE DAY (no choice!)
Very dangerous for the elderly people with walking sticks.
No trays supplied, I was up and down like a yoyo getting my food.

Now for our room:
The ceiling was dripping with water obviously from the room above!
I reported this on the first day and they assured that it would be dealt with.
On day 2, after a day out, we came back and in the evening it started to drip again so I reported it... AGAIN. And was told that it hadn't been reported on day 1 and was assured it would be dealt with.
By day 3, I just gave up with it because it was obvious that nothing was going to be done.

We went down to look at the swimming pool and it was SO cloudy you couldn't see the bottom of it. It was SO cloudy that there was no way I would go in there!

The (so called) entertainment was changed daily so you never knew what was going to be on.

I WOULD NEVER, EVER, EVER GO THERE AGAIN!
AND I URGE ANYBODY THINKING OF GOING TO THE RAINBOW INTERNATIONAL, TO THINK AGAIN!!!

Room Tip: No tip at all!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Marj1707

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Evesham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

My experience was sooooooooooo bad, i really dont know how to put it in words, but i'll break it down:

Mold all over the bathroom, there was no shower just a very old bath.
Toilet didnt flush.
Smell of damp
dangerous plug sockets
scrached funiture.

I am in the process of contacting trading standards. I got a very rude reponce from the hotel with regards to my complaint,i only wish i could upload the letter for you to see that they dont give a moneys!! please dont stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lisa773710
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

There were ten of us in our group. We were all on the 5th floor. The corridor smelled of foist and damp. Our room was dirty. The windows were rusty and dirty. The curtains looked like they needed a good wash. There were water stains all over the walls and lampshades. On the good side, the bed was clean and so was the bathroom. The food after the first night was actually okay, but sometimes warm. We only paid £200 for our break but we all expected a little more than that. The staff were quite nice apart the guy on the reception who kept putting his hand up to peoples faces which I thought to be very rude. The rooms we all had looked as if they had just been opened up for us for that week. Disgraceful and very disappointing. I think National want to look at the hotels they book more closely. We will not be going back there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank annandkath
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Went with my wife for the first holiday in the uk for 20 yrs (due to the HIGH cost of medical insurance) went with an open mind after reading some reviews meals smashing service great as I said disabled needed a plug near bed extention supplied in 5 mins nothing is to much trouble for the realy great staff from the receptionists to the cleaners and the resturant staff with proper ENGLISH food rooms spotless only one complaint the fluffy towels are ok for ladiesw how about some for men for my first holiday in uk for 20yrs all other hotels have a lot to live up to

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 2e1hzm
South Shields, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Very disappointed.... very dated.... windows very draughty..... curtains in very bad condition and dirty....., very bad smell of damp when we arrived which never went away......Food not bad but could be improved
WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends