“Excellent value for money”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Torquay
The Norcliffe Hotel
Ranked #136 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We went on 23 August stayed for 3 nights and have no complaints at all. We booked with Travelstyle, but drove down ourselves. It is a 2 star hotel, and for what we paid, I could not fault it. Nick is a wonderful host and obviously takes a great pride in the service he provides. The food was excellent and locally sourced, home cooked, always a choice of 3 starters, mains and desserts, with tea and coffee. Rooms were comfortable and very clean. To be honest, it was more than I was expecting for what we paid! There was certainly nothing wrong with our shower, and always plenty of hot water. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank June A

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Went on the 12th August for 5 days with Travel style after a dreadful journey coming down, we just need a shower - but it didn't work that night or the rest of the week, we told we could use the shower in the spare room ! down one lot of stair and up another only to find a queue 5 other people also had showers that didn't work. The bar was closed when we arrived back at 10pm.
never again. the other reviews must be very easy to please. been on many low cost trips and the hotels have been much better. Nick!!! [basil faulty] was a bore with too much to say and not enough to do.

Room Tip: don't go
8  Thank boddington2012
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have just stayed 8 Days with Nick and Karen at the Norcliffe Hotel and cannot believe that Jane stopped at this Hotel. The food which was cooked by the chef Steve was value for money anywhere. The waitresses Hannah, Gabby and the other lady (sorry forgot her name) served meals Quickly so your food was always hot and tasty and extreemley polite. The picture that Jane showed was the starter and not the main meal. Nick tries to please as many people as he can but unfortunately you cannot please everyone. We found no problem with telling Nick what we would like at Breakfast Or Dinner as there was always at least 3 choices on every course and with the ammount of people staying i would have thought that this would make it easier for Steve to sort out and that there was no waiting for your meals. Nick and Karen we found to be very socialble as for Nick being the centre of attention we find this unbelievable. He has a job to do and he tries to do it the best he can. His talks may seem to Jane he is the star but in reality Nick is part of the well run team and a system that works for this Hotel. So all we can say is Nick, Karen and your team WELL DONE. and thank you for a great holiday. Pat and Keith C. Nottingham.

1  Thank Pat C
Reviewed August 14, 2013

we have just returned from a 4 day break at the Norcliffe Hotel.when we first walked in to the reception,i must admit i was a bit dismayed how basic it was.when we got to our room,it was basic but clean,with coffee and tea provided.the t.v was quite old but did the job.when we went down for dinner,the first thing we noticed was there wasn't any tables for two,you had to share with total strangers,which some people might not want to do.luckily we sat with a lady called val,and her granddaughter Louisa who were great company.the meals were very good and the waitresses were lovely.for the money we paid,it was good value.okay,the hotel is a bit dated but for what we paid it was okay.a lick of paint,tables for 2 and the old t.vs replaced and its sorted.

3  Thank Jack B
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Had an fantastic weekend at this hotel. Don't know how they do it for the price. The location is perfect - just across the road from the downs and cliff railway to the beach. Model Village and the interesting Bygones museum 400 yards away.
Hotel food is good and plentiful. Our room was basic but clean and functional. The bar area is cosy and the owner goes out of his way to create a happy atmosphere. We had entertainment on the Saturday night - a singing keyboard player who was excellent and provided music for all ages. We would definately return to this hotel as it is excellent value for money.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Harry E
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I also have just returned from a weekend break with my 10 year old granddaughter at the Norcliffe Hotel. What was wrong with it - NOTHING - I dont really know what Jane was on about. Its a 2 star hotel, what did she want.

I go on an awful lot of short break holidays as where I live is the place that time forgot. A week ago I booked a late deal 4 day weekend coach holiday for £100 for each of us. After reading many reports I arrived with great trepidation. I neednt have worried On arrival Karen was on the desk and she is a lady. Her husband, Nick, came to say hello, he is a gentleman who tries to be friendly. He is a second generation Sri Lankan and rather suntanned and I wonder if that has anything to do with the animosity.

Yes we had to book evening meal in advance - what's wrong with that - they have to get it cook it and be ready to serve at 6.30 by 2 of the nicest young ladies you could wish to meet.

Yes our room wasn't the best but a late booking meant takinging what was left. The hotel was clean and well decorated and the food was good. I do not go on holiday to spend my days in the hotel and it served the purpose for which I went, Lovely views over the bay; across the road from the steep walk or cabin down to a gorgeous small beach - walk down, ride up. Get the bus downhill to Torquay. Beautiful area, adequate hotel if you dont plan on living in it for the duration of your holiday. Friendly hosts.

Some people just like to complain. When I arrived I was so angry about what I had read. There is nothing wrong with the Norcliffe Hotel, if it doesn't suit you pay a lot more and go elsewhere to a 3 or 4 star hotel. It can't be that bad there were private guests staying who had booked and gone all by themselves.

Room Tip: Book well in advance and ask for what you want.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank fussy99
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I'd first like to say that the location of this hotel is great! It's near a very cute theatre and has wonderful views. The wait/cleaning staff are very nice and polite. This is where the positive ends for me.

The rooms are fine although you might need to sit on the end of your (VERY creaky) bed to see the tiny screens and the showers don't fit properly into holders.

The real problem with this hotel is the husband of the owner Nick likes to make speeches all through dinner and breakfast about how great his hotel is and how others in the area are failing and about his budget. If you want a drink at dinner you have to go and find him, just to get a soft drink.
Be prepared for him to make rude comments or to give either you, or other guests patronizing pet names. He happily gossips about other guests to you in the smoking area and obviously does this about everyone. Nick was rude and very dominating throughout the holiday. Karen his wife is a quiet woman but when spoken to is very prickly, expect to be walking on egg shells around this hotel if you're not a quiet old age pensioner.

If you want to divert from the rules even a tiny bit expect a personal reprimand from the owners. If you are late for breakfast they will come and knock at your door to tell you off!!

Also be ready for both him and his wife to tell you as many times as they can fit into the conversation that they are on a tight budget! In fact I was told I shouldn't expect great customer service or hospitality because it was a 'cheap' holiday and what more did I want?

I really implore anyone with children to avoid this hotel, there are no facilities for them and any noise is considered a crime at the Norcliffe, apart from the dire entertainment that they provide. Also anyone under the age of 60 who doesn't like having dinner at 18.30 or having to choose meals WELL in advance should not go here.

Now I know cheap holidays and have stayed in absolute dives and hostels all over the world but I have never met anyone as unbending and unfriendly as these two hotel owners. Manners and making your guests feel welcome doesn't cost a thing but obviously this doesn't factor into the Norcliffe's budget.

In summation the Norcliffe should be re-named 'The Nick show' and if you don't want to watch it or be a part of it then don't stay there. It would be laughable if I hadn't had to stay there, perfect hotel inspector candidate!

I must also say I was loathe to write this review as the owners were so aggresive towards any criticism about the hotel but I felt if it means others who prefer a relaxed holiday do not end up here then it will be worth it.

Room Tip: A partial sea view means a view over the back of other hotels and a small patch of sea view if you l...
10  Thank Jane D