“the bedrooms where terrible”
Review of Trecarn Hotel

Trecarn Hotel
Ranked #85 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed September 21, 2009

The food was really nice, the staff lovely, they were too good for that hotel, needs 2 close down for 6 mths, and sort the bedrooms out, terrible!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank felixthecat60

Reviewed August 31, 2009

This is without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, having stayed in Hotels in Greece, Spain and even Eastern Europe (Slovakia) this is by far the scruffiest and the standard of cleanliness the lowest ever experienced, pillows and towels had unknown stains on them having read previous reviews after booking we had taken our own towels luckily enough, bath was chipped quite heavily, I will never use Shearings again, I would go with caution, bad reviews go back to 2007 and it appears the hotel is in the same state now as it was then, i would have thought if Shearings would put 1% of the seasons takings towards redecorating it would be up to standard, a really disgusting hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan C
Reviewed August 15, 2009

my wife and i read a lot of the reviews on this hotel and were a little concerned as to what we would find,we did find a hotel that is a work in progress at the moment, bringing things which may not be so good up to standard,our roomat the front of the hotel was clean and comfortable,bathroom a bit on the small side,but your not in there for hours at a time so,the food was good with a good choice throughout breakfast and evening meals,the staff we came into contact with from the people on reception,waiter,bar staff and even the girl who cleaned the room were friendly and helpful,the place isn,t a 5 star hotel but i think good value for the price you pay,we would certainly go back again

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MIKEWLeeds
Reviewed August 9, 2009

This hotel is so dilapidated that I am shocked it is used. The decor is out of the 50's it has damp patches on floor walls and ceiling. The room we were in 225 had 3 beds which I must admit were comfortable but the decoration was atrocious.the reading light for my bed was at the foot end and was in fact a shaver light with no cover. The room had only 2 sockets and the tv picture was simply snow. The bathroom ceiling paper was sagging, the shower was not much better than a hand held, the window had no handle to open or shut it.The food served was pretty good but breakfast time of 8am to 9am was too short. The swimming pool was closed for cleaning on the 1st 4 days we were there and the water was full of green algae. Shearings own this hotel AND should be ashamed of themselves. The staff try their best and are very friendly and helpful but the standard of the hotel is so bad that it is difficult for them to keep guests happy. my advice is don't go there. I fully intend to complain to Shearings and demand a substantial refund on the cost of my holiday. DON'T GO THERE. The question below would I recommend this hotel to a friend well I wouldn't recommend it to an enemy. DISGUSTING

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank BEBECheshire
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Booked this three weeks before departure, paid top asking price. No mention from Shearings that this hotel was under a complete refurbishment with leaking roofs and receptacles catching the drips, with warning notices stating danger damp carpeting. I am being generous when I say that 50% of the hotel was habitable, but the other 50% should have been closed down until all the refurbishing had been done. My wife was very upset at the condition of our room and we were both very glad to get back home. Have wrote to the company refference same and they have confirmed that they have received same. To conclude their was some good points but they were outweighed by the very poor condition of the hotel

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sufc1989
Reviewed August 2, 2009

On arrival we were allocated the room from hell (163) right above the boiler house and with a view of the rubbish dump, old beds and bedroom furniture. The room was infested with black mould and the window was broken and frozen pemanently open, even though we informed reception next morning it was still the same when we left. We asked immediately to change rooms as I am asthmatic to be told that there were none available. We were also assured that although there were builders on site that there would be no disruption to guests, unless a gang of joiners outside our window cutting and planing doors, corridors strewn with dust sheets and tools and general building noise does not count as disruption.
The hotel on the whole is in a very run down state, carpets are worn and torn and mismatched throughout, we even had water dripping through a corridor ceiling at times.
The staff on the whole were pleasant and helpful, the food was of a decent standard, although the evening entertainment left a bit to be desired.
I would recommend anyone thinking of staying at the Trecarn to think twice, I for one will not be repeating the experience. The only thing missing was Basil and Manuel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WashingtonGeordie
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Well after seeing all the negative reviews of the Trecarn hotel I was really worried about the state of the hotel, and boy was I right to be worried. The hotel is very dated and really needs refurbishment. Our which me and two friends stayed in was of a fairly good size but the wardobe and chest of drawers well very old and the paint was peeling off. We had a lock on our en-suite door which never worked properly. The shower head was leaking and the beds well very old and creaked. The food wasn't very good and the roast beef which I had on the saturday I arrived tasted like rubber. The breakfast was even worse than the dinner, toast was cold and the cornflakes tasted extremely cheap and stale. After one night at the Trecarn I felt I had to get out and so left in the afternoon on the Sunday. I recommend not to book this hotel and I certainly won't be going back to this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends