“Very good for the price paid”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Trecarn Hotel

Trecarn Hotel
Ranked #89 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
“Very good for the price paid”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Have just returned from a holiday with national holidays to this hotel and after reading reviews was not looking forward to it but was pleasantly surprised on arrival, the rooms are clean and are cleaned daily,the windows were old and steamed up a lot but all of them were in the process of being changed with new ones while we were there. In the dining room you are allocated a table and that's yours for your stay ,the food is good and nothing is to much trouble for the staff in the dining hall I am a fussy eater and thought I would struggle but Jacob and Kirsty who wait on the tables made sure I didn't do without by giving me extra of what I did eat, I don't think I have ever met 2 young people as hard working and as pleasant as they were. Entertainment was good and the price of drinks reasonable and there was a bus stop just around the corner to take you into town. This was the first holiday I have stayed in this country for in 30 years as have always gone abroad but I think my holiday here has made me think about returning here again but for a longer stay next time, thank you to all the hotel staff for a pleasant stay at your hotel x

Room Tip: It seems most rooms had been re-furnished except for a few on bottom floor but think they will be do...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shelagh566
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay. I understand your concerns as there are a few negative reviews on here, but I analyse the data regularly and am pleased that the majority of posts are positive with 3 or more "stars", including the top 10 current ones. We are still continuing with replacing all the windows and I think a couple more weeks, weather permitting, we will have all rooms completed. I am pleased that your stay here may encourage you to holiday at home more and we would love to welcome you back here in the very near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Northampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I am old enough to remember when going to stay at a hotel was a luxury and a better experience than staying at home. Alas that's generally not the case any longer when holidaying in the U.K.
We booked a last minute deal with National coach holidays- 3 nights dinner B&B including travel to Torquay and back for £93! I cannot really complain for the price,it was give away! However there were plenty of people staying in this hotel who would have paid more than that and deserve better I think.The public areas are all good,obviously been recently spruced up. The bedroom and bathroom was really disappointing though.In desperate need of both redecorating,carpeting and new bathroom.There was a hole in the bathroom floor with sticking tape over so you knew it was there. No excuse not to repair that. The bedroom carpet was filthy,all it really needed was a shampoo though so no huge expense plus a coat of paint wouldn't have come amiss. I should not have to leave my nice comfortable home with ensuite modern bathroom to slum it in a hotel in Torquay! I am not saying the cleaning wasn't up to standard because it was. I think the cleaners were doing the best they could under difficult circumstances. The telly was completely useless too. a very ancient box shaped thing that snowed all the time,almost impossible to watch anything. We would have watched the entertainment but you had to sit through an hour and a half of bingo ticket selling followed by bingo before any entertainment started. Just about lost the will to live by then!
The food was O.K.pretty much what you would expect from this type of coach hotel.Again should I be moaning for the price we paid? Probably not but I feel the hotel could be so much more comfortable with not too much money spending and just a bit more effort.

Room Tip: Be aware that not all rooms are served by a lift. If you have trouble with stairs ask for a ground f...
3 Thank LizNorthampton
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you for your review. You are totally correct that if we put our prices up we could offer a higher standard of accommodation as it would generate more income to re-invest. Torquay is saturated with hotels and there are different markets and mush more expensive places to stay should people wish to pay to do so. Having said that, we do continually invest in our property, with 6 rooms being fully refurbished soon and another 8 in the spring, plus every room is currently having brand new windows fitted. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and you could appreciate the value you received for the price paid. Hopefully you would consider re-visiting
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stayed at trecarn hotel april 2014. This was our second time there and once again had an enjoyable holiday. Asked for a refurbished room and was not disappointed. Bathroom had been completely modernised, with new shower , basin , toilet and flooring. Radiator in bathroom kept our room cosy and warm. Plenty of hot water and nice fluffy white towels. Our beds were very comfortable and we slept well . Room had been newly carpeted and had a modern television. The only small complaint I have is some of the tv channels had poor reception but as we were out most of the time this was not a problem. The staff were very pleasant and service in restaurant good. Thanks again for a pleasant stay. Stan and nancy armstrong.

Room Tip: Ask for refurnbished room.
4 Thank Stanley A
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay and your kind words. Glad you enjoyed your break at the hotel and the newly refurbished room was to your liking. I hope you get to stay with us again
Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed here on a National coach trip. The bedroom was fine but the bathroom was shabby & in need of updating. One of the windows was full of condensation & needs to be replaced. We could only get BBC 2 on the television. The food was good & we were pleased that we all had a creme egg at breakfast as it was Easter Sunday. There were long queues for the bar in the evening.The large diningroom smells of damp. In spite of the things listed it is a good value
holiday & I would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank ShonaghStockport
Thank you for your balanced review of your recent stay. I can happily tell you that all the windows are currently being replaced and our problems ongoing with the TV reception are hopefully being sorted as I have been trying for a few weeks now. With regards to refurbishment of rooms, again I can confirm that 6 rooms are being fully refurbed this Autumn and a further 8 in the spring. Your feedback is very important as indeed it is for me to communicate our plans for improving the hotel
Pontefract, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

This was our second visit to the Trecarn.Once again we were very impressed with all aspects of this well run hotel.Our room was clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities and clean towels every day.The meals and waiter service were excellent and the bar and reception staff were friendly and efficient.There was nightly entertainment with some very good artistes.
The hotel is situated just outside Torquay but there is a bus stop only a couple of minutes walk away and a bus every fifteen minutes which takes you right into town.
Sadly we were only staying for four days but I'm sure it won't be long. before we're back again.

4 Thank Goron58
What a lovely review, thank you so much for taking the time to post. I am really pleased that you returned to us and enjoyed your stay again. We will certainly look forward to visit number 3!
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

We requested a ground floor room which we were allocated but there was an overwhelming damp smell on entering the room with damp patches on the wall. The windows were very old - the top one constantly opened on a latch which could not be reached and the bottom ones led out to a low flat roof. The TV had two channels both of which were fuzzy. The bathroom also smelt terrible. After a terrible first night not sleeping due to having to keep the window open due to the smell and worried someone could get on the roof and walk in, I complained to the receptionist who was totally indifferent. She eventually offered me another room but this was on the second floor and it meant climbing three flights of steep and narrow stairs - my daughter won't use lifts hence me requesting a ground floor room. This room was hardly an improvement and the TV reception was just as bad. When I returned to the receptionist, she told me that was it and it would be the same in any other of the old rooms anyway. She pointed out that TV is not an important aspect of the stay. I pointed out that it is when you have a young child and in bed for 8pm. We had no choice but to book into the premier inn in Torquay at an extra cost of £190. We returned for meals reluctantly - I felt that I had to after paying so much but this meant bus and taxi fares. The staff in the dining room work so hard and were great. However, the meals were not "child friendly" and the waitress kindly told us that there was no alternative for children. I would have thought it would not have been hard to grill a couple of fish fingers and chips as an exception. Not a hotel to take young children. There were many people who were also disappointed when I talked to them and I would have sadly put up with it if I had been with another adult but I had to think of my daughter.

Room Tip: Apparently the refubished rooms are lovely but we weren't one of the lucky ones. I would reques...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Maddie M
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Sorry that your stay with us was disappointing. We do advertise and cater for the senior market so I can understand it would not be ideal for a child to have a holiday with us. The TV reception is a problem following the recent storms and we are working hard to rectify this. I hope that for future breaks you find a destination that is more suited for your daughter. Apologies once again

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We have just returned from the Bay Trecarn. Entertainment was excellent and that's it !!!!! Our room was appalling, cold, dated with stained rickety furniture. The bathroom was totally substandard, dark with a shower that didn't work. The hotel boasts digital TV in all rooms - well the TV in our room certainly wasn't digital and it didn't even work. The bar service was atrocious with queues lasting over half an hour. The food was ok but again service poor and the dining room was musty.
Definately not recommended and certainly won't be returning.

Room Tip: Don't bother !!!!!
1 Thank Mikey557
Sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us over easter. I will investigate the issues you experienced as I always hope our guests enjoy their stay