“A nice holiday”

Ranked #87 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“A nice holiday”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Arrived on 12th April 2013 on a 3 night National Holiday break. This hotel is situated in Babbercombe a short distance from Torquay. A great location with a 10 minute walk to the seafront. The hotel rooms were dated but clean. The standard of food was very good. the staff were hard working and very friendly. Evening entertainment was also good. We paid £99 each which was excellent value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mancsolihull
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
So pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent short break with us. I hope you will consider another visit in the future. Thank you taking the time to post a review

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Merseyside
Reviewed April 9, 2013

On the surface what is on offer for the price is very good, but there is no excuse for the problems with the room that we encountered. I had requested a quiet refurbished room with a bath. The first room we were given was very small and the bathroom was dark and dingy with no window. As I am a bit claustrophobic, I asked for a different room. we were given a bigger brighter room with a tiny shower room which we accepted. The room was very cold and the radiator needed bleeding as it was only warm at the top half, the curtains were hanging of the rail which I kept having to fix to close the curtains. I banged my leg on something sticking out of the side of the bed. It turned out that the bottom of the bed had collapsed and they had put a piece of board under the mattress to try and support it. Apart from asking for the radiator to be bled I still didn't complain at this point. The happened when there was no hot water the next morning and I had to boil the kettle to have a wash. I was told 2 days on the run that there was no member of management staff to speak to me.... unbelievable. After explaining to the receptionist what the problems were she eventually got the deputy manager to come out and speak to me. We did get hot water on our last day and a heater was put in our room but none of the other problems in the room were sorted out. Apart from these problems the meal time slots are very limited and rigid, and you are made to feel uncomfortable if you are still there after 8pm. Yes, it is very cheap for what you get but you shouldn't have to expect no hot water, boards propping up beds and curtains hanging off. I think other reviewers have said that the hotel really does need some attention and the management need to make themselves available if there are problems

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank HermajestyStHelens
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Sorry to read that you did not fully enjoy your recent stay with us. I was concerned that the problems raised were not addressed and that you were unable to contact a manager on a couple of occassions. We are busy and not always in the office but one of us should have been told you had asked for us so we could find you and hopefully have sorted your problems. Apologies once again

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

After hearing so much about this fantastic hotel, I was very disappointed to say the least. When we arrived at the hotel we we greeted by the duty manager who told us about the hotel and then we got our keys and made our way to our allocated room. There was only one lift which held two people..and for a hotel of this size was shocking. It wasn't a modern lift. I think it was older than my granny! When we got to our room we had a lovely clean bed and towels and after been travelling for nine hours or so I decided to have a bath. The bath panel was all split and with it been made of hard plastic was very sharp. Had anyone slipped and caught themselves on it, they would have received a nasty cut. There was no hot water..it was just Luke warm so it was a case of jump in jump out. We went down for our evening meal and this was a bit of a disaster. The food was just nice for eating..could have been hotter and the size of the portions were an insult to a working man. We had roast potatoes and if you'd seen the state of them you'd think they'd forgot about them. They were like lumps of charcoal. We sent them back as there is no way we could of ate them and after that the young waiter who was waiting on our table ignored us. The food wasn't hot the night after either and again there was no hot water. My mam went down to complain about having no hot water for the second night and the excuse was the boiler had gone off. Wasn't really bothered. The entertainment was appalling as well. Who wants to sit and listen to someone suppose to be telling jokes but only him laughing at his self. Not my idea. On the Sunday night..that was a good night with a female singer on who had been on stars in your eyes. She was a Shirley Bassey take off. Really good and a very nice person.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank marie c
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. As you quite rightly said, we do get alot of positive comments and I feel that for the value we offer we do deliver a good holiday destination. We actually have 2 lifts serving seperate sides of the hotel and whilst they are old, they are well maintained and serviced! I hope that you are able to find a hotel more in keeping with your requirements, perhaps one of the Coast & Country Hotels may be more suitable for you
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

stayed at this hotel on a national holiday for three nights. first room was turned down due to bad damp and mildew smell, second room was better and staff were happy to help, but shower cubicle was a bit cramped,(I am a skinny lad as well). television was a portable with 5 channels on it, hairdryer had the power of an asthmatic pit pony. double bed not much bigger than a single.
the main part of the hotel, bar, dining area, was pleasant to sit in. no Wi-Fi or internet at all, note to manager, if you want to attract more than old people, move with the times, a wireless router in reception will cover reception and bar area, a computer for customers to use to find local information and places to go would cost next to nothing. digital TV has been around for quite a while now. this hotel is slightly stuck in the past. the staff that we came across were polite, helpful and very hard working. the food was of a good standard, but was let down by the breakfast, 1 egg, 1 two inch sausage, 1 rasher. a tomato and spoonful of beans, yes their was cereal, porridge and toast. but I didn't know you had to have it all to feel content. will not stay again or recommend. feel for some of the hard working staff.

Room Tip: book somewhere that will not just want you to stay for your money.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank g j
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. I can certainly assure you that if we were only after your money we would be charging a lot more for what is a great value break, considering what is included. Our majority target audience is the 50 plus market and we certainy look to tailor our breaks towards that whilst considering the needs of any guests outside of this. WiFi is under consideration, but I am sure you can appreciate that for the amount of people that ask for it and to provide in a hotel, it may be too cost prohibitve at this time. Fortunately we have well trained reception staff who have a great knowledge of the local area and are always happy to help with these type of enquiries. I hope you find a suitable holiday destination that fits your requirements and would suggest you lok at the Coast & Country Hotels as they may be more to your taste
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The hotel is situated on a hill. Quite a walking distance from Torquay harbour. We used our bus passes on the day our coach driver had his free day. However, you couldn't wish for more pleasant and helpful staff. They appear to be an amalgam of various European nationalities. But very conversant in English. The food was quite edible depending on your taste. The only 2 occasions I was disappointed, was the " plaice veronique", and something that was supposed to be a meat pie.? The pie 'part', turned out to be a piece of puff pastry,cooked separately,and placed at the side of the dish.? But all in all, the meals were varied, plenty of choice and quite adequate.
The rooms were spotless clean. Quite suitable for the 4 nights we slept there. Any longer and we would have asked to have the 'in-room' TV set repaired.( No picture/sound at all).We would have liked to see the News/ weather forecast occasionally.It is a maze of confusing corridors at first, until one becommes accustomed it. The 'entertainment' was quite good on a couple of nights. But the inevetable bingo takes up quite a slice.

Room Tip: You OAP's,make sure you take your 'bus pass'with you.? There's many available local...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William S
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Trecarn. I was a little confused about you stating we were situated on a hill, but then Torquay is actually built on several hills so I guess when out and about it could appear to be so. Our chef does take a lot of pride in his food presentation so he will be most mortified to read that a couple of dishes were not to your taste. For future reference (as I hope you will return!!) please do not hesitate to mention it to our staff if there is something that you werent happy with.
Wakefield
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have just returned from a four night stay at this hotel through National Holiday Coaches. I have to say that I have thourghly enjoyed my stay made all the better by the excellent staff who work there. Everyone including housemaids, bar staff , reception staff, dining room staff and entertainment staff made the week for us. Every single person who works in this hotel is friendly and looks happy to work there - all credit to the manager. The downstairs facilities were fantastic and every meal was faultless - well done Chef! The entertainment was varied and good , bingo ,quizzes and a caberet artist every night. Particually enjoyed the magician. The room we had was quiet and tucked at the back of the hotel. The beds were comfortable and the room was nicely decorated. A couple of small niggles - the tv reception wasnt terribly good and the bathroom could do with a bit of a refurb - and mum would have liked a walk in shower but all in all, for the small amount of time we spent in the room it was good. All in all a very good hotel which I would readily recommend to anyone visiting this area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank YorkshireChrissy
Thank you so much for your wonderfully positive review. I thoroughly enjoy seeing the staff get credit for all their hard work and I do try to create a hapy working environment for all of us as it is a massive team effort. I would love to welcome you back to the Trecarn and can only hope that you would consider booking another stay with us
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This Horrific hotel that I have ever had the miss fortune to stay in. At arriving at the hotel and walking round the hotel trying to find our room which was horrible and also after requesting another room which again was horrific we were told by the on duty manager to either deal with the room or leave.

The meals and the staffs attitude where the same disusting after forcing my husband to hurry up with his order the waitress had the currage to drop a bowl of hot soup on the table which resulted with a visit to the manager again which whos attitude matched the waitress'.

The only decent thing of the holiday was the day tours however you need money to take with you otherwise you cant enjoy yourselves.

With the little entainment they had on at the hotel which was bingo and a rare out side preformance which was acceptable, in the evening there was little to do.

The hotel itself was located in a housing estate with little do to locally.

To top this whole thing off the hotel has huge damp problems which spreads over all floors and rooms and damages which the hotel are reluctant to fix. We even sent in enviromental health in to the hotel.

The best thing of the hotel was seeing it in the coach mirrors head back home.

Room Tip: IF you would like a good room DONT STAY at this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sam T
I was very shocked to read your review and your very negative opinion of the hotel staff. One of the pleasing aspects of monitoring and responding to reviews is how much praise the hotel staff get. I think that is rightly so as they work hard to deliver a high level of service. I am sure it wasnt COURAGE that resulted in soup accidentally being dropped on your table. With regards to the hotel being situated in a "housing estate" again I feel this misrepresents exactly where we are situated. A left turn at the end of our road, across the main road and guests can enjoy Babbacombe Downs, with magnificent views, several pubs and a number of tourist attractions, all within a 5 minute walk. We have had leaks from some of our roofs due to horrendous weather, and these are now fixed. Unfortunately it has been difficult for our contractor to get enough dry days to enable him to do this. We enjoy a fantastic working relationship with the local environmental health officers, who know how important all aspects of health & safety plus food hygiene are to us as a hotel and a company. Indeed, we were recently awarded a 5 star recommendation for food hygiene from local environmental health officers who made a suprise, unannounced visit.
I am sorry we could not meet your expectations, but I am sure that if you are willing to spend more on one of Torquays 3 or 4 star hotels they will hopefully meet your expectations