“Turkey and Tinsel”
Review of Trecarn Hotel

Trecarn Hotel
Ranked #85 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Have just spent 5 days at the Bay Trecarn with friends on a National Holiday Turkey and Tinsel break. Our room was a little bit dated but the staff,food and entertainment were all excellent and would definitely go again. Our coach driver Gill was a star and despite the floods and bad weather still made sure we had trips out.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

So glad to read that you enjoyed your recent "christmas" with us!!! I was really pleased to read your comments about staff and the food as we work hard to deliver a happy holiday for our guests. We are hoping to do some further refurbishment to some of the rooms this winter and it is a progressive project that does unfortunately take time. Hopefully you enjoyed your stay enough to revisit us, and recommend us to your friends!!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

we went to this hotel with national coach tours .entertainment in hotel was great very entertaining .the food was nice{service a bit slow }we got 4 free drink vouchers each .very good service .hotelon the whole was a bit tired .bathroom really needed up dating but if you were happy with a tricke for a showerthen youll be ok but for what we paid yu couldnt expect a 5 star .we were in good company so yes a good weakend we had .must add coach driver chris was wonderful great personality and excellent driver GREAT TIMEwe did 2 excurtions one to plymouth and dartmouth and a look into torquay town

Room Tip: front facing or 1st floor
1  Thank beharvey
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you for your recent review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay but sorry to see that you found service a bit slow. It can get hectic in the restaurant when we have all 230 guests in at once, but the staff do work hard to deliver an efficient service. Hopefully you will consider us for future visits

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Just returned from a 5 day break with National Holidays and throughly enjoyed the break (apart from the weather!) Yes the hotel is a little tired in places, our bedroom was small but very clean and on the ground floor which we requested. Food on the whole was excellent with choices to suit most people and yes the dining room staff have to work extremely hard to try to keep everyone happy, when we did have a small complaint it was dealt with immediately and with profuse apologies. All the staff were pleasant and when our TV played up it was changed within 20 minutes of me speaking to the very helpful reception staff. The entertainment left a bit to be desired from my husband and I's point of view but there was plenty people were thoroughly enjoying it. All in all a good value for money holiday.

1  Thank hmf66

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, especially one so positive. I was pleased to see that whilst you did have a small complaint we dealt with it quickly and efficiently which we always try to do!!! Hopefully you do consider our breaks to be good value and we will see you again at the hotel

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just had a two night all inclusive stay and thought i'd try and give a fair and balanced opinion!

My husband and I stayed here in May 2011 and had a lovely time and were happy to be coming back.

Our room this time was not one that had been renovated but was large and clean but a little musty. Also i think the boiler was right above our room and was going all night long, loudly! (Room 244).

I can't fault the staff. Very helpful and friendly. The food was all adequate. We certainly didn't go hungry but a little skimpy on portions on prawn starter! (approx 3 and a half prawns each!) But for what you pay for the whole holiday it is really good value.

As all guests of the hotel are fed in hour, sometimes it feels a little frantic in the dining room.

Entertainment was not quite as good as previous trip. Would have loved to have seen Neil Diamond Tribute but that was on the Sunday night so we missed out. Would have thought that was more appropriate entertainment for a saturday night?

The hotel is certainly more geared up towards an older generation thats for sure. As we are only in our mid 40s may not do this trip again for another 15 years or so!

1  Thank joelLeicester
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you for your balanced review of your recent stay with us. The staff do work hard to provide excellent service and it can be difficult for them to serve 230 guests in the hour for dinner. I sincerely hope that you wont be leaving it for 15 years before you return!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

My sister in law and myself got back last night after staying 3 nights all inclusive. I must say it was excellent value for money. The food was good and the dining room was quite impressive and modern. The staff were polite and efficient but sometimes you had a little wait between courses, not the waiters fault. This did not bother us as you find this just about everywhere.But we did find out why everyone rushed to the dining room for 6.30.first in, first out, to get your table for the entertainment. First bingo, then the quiz. Not my cup of tea but everyone seemed to enjoy it including me.I enjoyed the music afterward. The best thing about this hotel was the young man behind the bar. What a star. He needs a pay rise and no he didn't pay me to say this. Always a smile and always polite and being a woman I'm not used to getting my own drinks.we always had a little chat and a laugh. Now the worse thing about this hotel.Neither my sister in law or me had a shower in our room and as she is disabled , found it very difficult. The receptionist gave us a jug so we could wash our hair. I suggest they try it sometime. She said there were no rooms left with showers.looking back we should have complained but being on holiday, we didn't want to make a fuss.We met some fantastic people and had a great time. Would we do this holiday again ?I would have to think long and hard. Due to the extra long bus journey, by that I mean the number of times we changed coaches, it got to be a joke.it was like musical busses,not the drivers fault and nobody got the seats they booked That was national holidays.

Room Tip: Maybe you can ring in advance to make sure you have a shower. You can't take anything for grante...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. I would recommend ringing us (hoping that you will visit us again!!) and we will always do our best to help with requests as we often find people want a bath that have a shower or vice versa. Here to help, and always like to welcome back returning guests!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I've just returned from a weekend break at the Trecarn. After reading some of the reviews about this hotel I was a bit unsure of what to expect. However I was pleasantly surprised.
My room was very clean and looked to have been updated. Food was hot and served quickly.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
Good entertainment every night.
To some up this was a excellent value for money weekend and i had a thoroughly enjoyable time.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you enjoyed your weekend stay with us and that you weren't put off by other comments on here. We do try to deliver a good holiday to all our customers and it is always pleasing when reviews do say that we have. Hopefully we will welcome you back to the Trecarn soon!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Having just returned from this hotel, i would like to say it leaves a lot to be desired. Our shower and hand wash basin was leaking badly, having reported it 3 time in one day the only repair the hotel could come up with was to wrap towels around the washbasin and also around the base of the shower. The smell was disgusting, guess what they did to try and eliminate was to spray the room. Also, the service in the dining room was anything but good, there was only 1 girl serving approx 14 tables. We actually walked away from the table after waiting for three quarters of an hour between starters and main meal. The young girl who was serving us was lovely, she did her best, but under the circumstances it was too much for her. All in all i would not recommend this hotel as it is, a update is needed threw out.!!!!!!!!

2  Thank 3,441,131,701,175

Sorry you didnt enjoy your stay with us. I was concerned to read that your maintenance issue was not attended to as we do try to do this as soon as possible. We do operate to the industry standard template in our type of hotel with 24 guests to each member of staff and encourage guests to enjoy their meals at leasure. I hope you will consider trying one of our other Bay hotels in the future