Waters Edge Hotel
  • Breakfast included
The Marstan(Torquay)
$103
$98
Yardley Manor Hotel(Torquay)(Great Value!)
$65
The Imperial Torquay(Torquay)
$86
$77
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewssea viewsea fronttea and coffeepaigntonphilharbour
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My elderly mother and I stayed at the Water's Edge Hotel last week on a break with Alfa Holidays. The hotel was clean and nicely decorated and furnished. We had new white bed and bathroom linen. The food was very good - well prepared and presented and served cheerfully by the ever smiling Margaret. All the staff were pleasant and helpful. The Ritz it's not but it IS a very good., value for money, pleasant hotel. The absence of entertainment was overcome by two very enjoyable trips to Babbacombe theatre. Our bedroom (11) was not really large enough to accommodate the double and single bed which it housed and conditions are quite cramped but as we only spent a short time there this was not a big problem. I am sorry that we did not have the requested seaview but realise that not everyone can be lucky!!! I have written this review as I feel that some of the previous comments are unfair and unjustified. I would happily stay at this Hotel again and have no hesitation in recommending it,

Room Tip: request a sea view early - although I did and was told it could not be guaranteed.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Primroselin
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I was very wary of what to expect at this hotel as I was booked on a Travelstyle coach holiday and some reviews I had read were not at all pleasing. However, I am very pleased to say that my worries were unfounded and had an excellent stay. My room No 7 was quite small but as you are only in it for a short time it was not a major problem, It was clean, with tea,coffee making facilities, hairdryer, the bathroom had a very good shower and clean towels supplied when asked. All meals we had were good with very large portions, served by staff who enjoyed their job and pleased to serve you.
If you stay at this hotel, turn right and a short walk of about 1 mile will take you to the village of Cockington. If you can't manage the walk there are buses which go. A place you must visit, it is a very old village and so quaint with many craft units and gardens to see. At time of stay the hotel does not have an enterainment licence but does hope to get one again.

Room Tip: phone before due to travel and ask for sea view as you may be at back of hotel with nothing worth looking at.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank westiegeorge
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My wife and i stayed at the waters edge in Torquay for one night and have to say it was excellent value for money ..Ok its not the most poshest place but if you want that then go and stay in the Grand at £150 per night and have everything perfect .
People who usualy complain about hotels such as this want 5 star rooms for 2 star money ..it never fails to make me laugh .
The hotel is in a fab location with views across the sea and have a pool to which of course is covered up as its now winter.
Its around 3/4 of a mile walk from all the towns main pubs and shops but out far enough not to get any noise at night, my wife and I walked there and back twice in one day and its a lovely stroll along the sea front , a nice way to end the night .
A special mention for Euan or Ewan .. what a helpful guy on reception who went above and beyond to make our stay as nice as possible so cheers mate.

Room Tip: Sea rooms would be fab but unfortunately we didnt get one , but the view would be lovely to wake upto
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cymru14
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The hotel was the worst hotel I have ever been in three continents (Europe, America, Asia).
The hotel is old and dirty. The room was un-cleaned. We found hair in the toilet and in the shower from the previous tenants. We found also crumb on our beds!!! Everything was full of dust and stains.
The washbasin was outside the bathroom!!! (We leave in 2012 not in 1800)
The room had an inclination!!!. What I mean? That the floor was not parallel to the ground but had an inclination about 5%.
The walls are so thin that you can hear everything and you have to be lucky to sleep enough since you can hear every door's opening and closing.
Although that it claims that it has parking , the spaces are not enough. We had to park outside for the night.
I can continue for hours, but I don't want to spend more time on that "hotel"

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Habouf
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Room was clean but small, shower was great fairly new, but in a small bathroom.
Good views from bedroom, double glazing misted up.
Polish waiting staff were great and fast serving. Food was ok edible.
Man at reception just grunted most of the time.
I thought of Basil and a comedy series 20 yrs ago.
Very convenient location for walking into town.
I didn`t recognise the photos of bedrooms.
We would certainly go back to Torquay.

Room Tip: Ask to see room first
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple