Bute Court
$211
$204
$402
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We are a couple from Swansea in our 50s and stayed in the Marquis Hotel for 3 nights from 2nd August 2013. Nice comfortable room with a lovely shower, very friendly and helpfull staff, excellent breakfast and even better evening meal, fabulous chef. Hotel centrally located, well worth a visit and would definitely use again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony M
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The previous reviewer really did give us some brilliant memories of fab holidays at The Bute Court. We went to this hotel from about 1983 to 2000 and remember it well. Excellent food. Limited menu but good, home cooking. Great for those of us with younger children. Lovely rooms, nothing posh but clean and tidy. Mr and Mrs. J were brilliant hosts and had a professional approach which made for a carefree holiday. Yes, Alan behind the bar. He came to stay with us once when he was in Wales. Nisa in the restaurant making sure everyone was served quickly and efficiently. There was live entertainment 2 or 3 times a week we particularly remember Two Way Split! A good singing duo. Valerie Way (a singer) still comes up in conversation at family do's because she sat on Dad's lap - great laugh when you are only 8. Lovely warm outdoor pool which we used every day because do you know what - we had some hot, sunny weeks on the English Riviera! Thank you Maria for the memories and yes we would buy it too it we had the cash. Hope the next owners realise what a gem they have.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ali264163
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel between 1982 & 2003!!!!! Yes that's right over a period of 21 years!!!! Mr and Mrs Jenkins owned it in the eighties and were the perfect hoteliers with a polite and friendly but firm attitude towards their guests to ensure that the hotel ran smoothly and to everyone's standards. Days were spent by the swimming pool, eating toasties from the snack bar and in the late afternoon it was a treat for all of the younger guests to race down to reception to await the menu being displayed, to show us what delights were in store for the evening meal. A quick game of table tennis in the games room came before getting 'dressed up' for the evening meal. After dinner drinks were served in the bar by Alan who was a tradional scotsman who welcomed his guests with his dry sense of humour. Then it was time for the entertainment. As children we would return to the games room whilst the adults watched live singers, comedians and magic acts whilst the staff that were on duty provided baby listening services for younger members of the family who already gone to bed.The hotel is in a fantastic location, is surrounded by beautiful gardens and is less than a 10 minute walk into Torquay. If I had the money I would love to buy this hotel and repeat every single thing as to how it was run by the Jenkins family. Whoever is the lucky purchaser I wish you many years of happiness running this very special hotel. Please keep it simple and traditional....myself and my family will certainly be back if you do!!!
Maria (on behalf of the Darby Family)

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My friend and I shared an 'extra mobility' room on the ground floor for 3 nights in October 2011. The room was nicely furnished and comfortable, though became rather warm at times. even though the Central heating was not on! The windows faced the road, and traffic could be heard at times. The food choices were good, and well cooked and presented. My gluten-free diet was provided without fuss, even though I had not informed the hotel before I arrived. The evening entertainment was varied, and catered for most tastes. The staff were very helpful and cheerful throughout, and I would love to stay there again.
Our mobility is poor, and we were pleased to find that the 1/2 hourly 'land train' to the shops, harbour, etc, stopped about 100yards from the hotel, which made sightseeing much easier!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Judith M
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Have stayed at Bute Court on many occasions and found the hotel well run and excellent value for money. Unfortunately my recent stay there was very poor with the service provided and the room allocated was of a very poor standard. Cup strains on top of table provided for teas and coffee. The bath / toilet were in a very small area where it was difficult to seat on toilet seat due to lack of leg room (Not suitable for anybody over 5ft 8" ) Water from bath very slow.
The hotel has been up for sale for 8 months and because of this payment can only be made by cash and not by credit card. A colleague tried to pay his bill the previous evening from departure and was told no body other than the manager could deal with him. He would only be available the following morning.
Despite Torquay going digital a few years ago the hotel only offer the basic BB1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 & Channel 5.
The new owners will have to spend a lot of money on updating the hotel and returning it to a high standard hotel again.
I certainly wont be staying there again under the existing management.

Room Tip: Check room with hotel staff before accepting it.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo