“Superb in every way.”

The Elmdene
Ranked #15 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was my 5th visit to the Elmdene and was as excellent as before- if not better!, The room (3) is spacious, spotless, with a large bathroom and again has all the extras you could wish for- you just cant go wrong. There is always a good and friendly atmosphere in the Hotel and the breakfast room, quality and choice of food is superb- you cant fault it. The bar is very comfortable and a great place to relax. Andy and Carol are great people who give premier league quality and service! What is really impressive is they always look to improve on what is already a great product- they are the reason the Elmdene is in a league of its own. Already booked again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LamcsMr-b
There are newer reviews for The Elmdene

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I wanted to go away for a couple of days to celebrate my 50th birthday. I love Devon, the sea and the Moors so Torquay seemed a good base. Having had some disastrous previous experiences travelling both in the UK and abroad I had become obsessed with reading reviews and the experiences of other travellers. After 2 and a half hours of searching Trip Advisor we came across The Elemdene and studied the reviews we read, subsequently we booked.

The Elmdene is owned by Andy and Carol, a totally straightforward and helpful couple. On arrival we were greeted by Andy, warm and friendly, instantly likeable. He made tea for us and offered suggestions of where we could dine and listen to live music (both of our requests.)

The room, decor, space, cleanliness and serenity were probably unsurpassed in my guest house/hotel experience. I don't say this lightly, and please bear in mind I have stayed at the Hilton Hotel in Times Square, New York - so hopefully you get the picture?

The breakfast (in a spotless and stylish dining room) offered a good selection which was plentiful, fresh, hot and served with a smile. Both my husband and I were genuinely sorry when our short break in Torquay ended. If I had to have one complaint and of course bearing in mind I'm English, so I must...it would be the pillows were too firm.

Andy and Carol told us their guest house was full for following weekend and many people were return visitors - that was hardly a surprise! We really cannot recommend The Elmdene highly enough. If you are planning a trip to Devon, looking for a good base (with parking), helpful, non-intrusive owners and a very keenly priced deal then you really should visit.

Room Tip: I'm not telling you which room we stayed in, just in case it should be booked when we want to re...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I have just enjoyed 5 wonderful nights at the Elmdene. Andy and Carol are the perfect hosts, so very welcoming, nothing was too much trouble. Everything about this 6 bedroom hotel is top quality. Superbly comfortable kingsize bed, luxury towels and bathrobes. Fridge with mineral water and fresh milk replenished daily. Breakfast was excellent, the usual full English or several other alternatives. Lovely friendly bar in the evenings.

Situated only 5 minutes from the sea front and approx 1 mile from the centre of town. Bus stops almost directly outside and train station is only a couple of minutes away. Andy and Carol are very helpful with regards to places to visit etc.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and am looking forward to a return visit as soon as possible!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1, which was lovely and sunny with views to the front and side, also it's own...
Reviewed April 1, 2013

If you spend a lot of time business travelling, you will probably be staying in the usual "cookie-cutter" hotels like me. Don't get me wrong, they are fine and have their place but one thing they generally lack is that personal touch. Step forward Andy & Carol with a gentle reminder about what real service is all about. Not sure if it was the pot of tea delivered to our room on arrival, the chat over breakfast, or the genuine feeling of being made welcome - either way, staying at the Elmdene is a lovely experience.

Our room, one of only 6 in the hotel, had obviously benefited from a recent upgrade but I can't help feeling the room would still have been immaculately presented. The bed was as about as comfy as it gets and those extra touches I'm banging on about extended to the Devon fudge & mini-Easter eggs left in the room.

In keeping with the rest of the place, breakfast was excellent. Choice of cold or cooked, the latter prepared freshly by Carol.

If you are planning a Torquay trip - make the stay that much better by staying in The Elmdene - you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Cant speak of the other 5 but Room 6 was lovely.
1  Thank Crossy68
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Myself and husband had 6 wonderful days for our 50th wedding anniversary. Andy & Carol hospitality was brilliant nothing was any trouble. We stayed in room 1 beautiful spotless spacious comfortable room. Breakfast are delicious with lots of choice food excellent. Would highly recommend and looking forward to another visit .Thank-you Andy & Carol. Best Wishes Elizabeth & James Telford.

1  Thank Ann R
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Me and my husband have just returned from a lovely stay here, cannot fault anything, the rooms are lovely and spacious and to a very high standard with a large bed and very comfortable. Breakfasts are delicious with plenty of choice. Carol and Andy are the best hosts you could ask for. Will be returning very soon.

1  Thank lisacotterill
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Found this hotel through the reviews on Tripadvisor and what has been written about the hotel is correct. We had a really lovely stay for 5 nights at this lovely B&B. The rooms are better than some top hotels that I have stayed in. Andy & Carol are lovely people and cannot do enough for you. The rooms are very well furnished, the beds are wonderful, there is every attention to detail and it is lovely to have a silent running fridge in the room with fresh milk and a bottle of chilled water replenished in the fridge each day. Carol's cooked full English or whatever from the extensive breakfast menu is superb. There is so much to choose from the buffet table before you even have your full English! Would definitely recommend this B&B hotel and will definitely be going back again some time this year.

Room Tip: We had Room 1 which was very spacious but we did get to look at Rooms 5 & 6 and these were very...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple