“Devon Stopover”

Ferndale Lodge
Ferndale Lodge
Ranked #87 of 150 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My room was great, very luxurious and an extremely comfortable bed and great shower! Only stayed for 1 night as I was on my travels to Cornwall to meet my Husband. Rooms were quite close together and there was another level of rooms above where I stayed and I did hear a small amount of noise outside my room and the ceiling above at times but not enough to effect my nights sleep. Breakfast was delicious, very hearty and great choice. The guest house is a family run business and the grandson who serves the breakfast was very helpful and polite, his grandmother is lovely and a bit of a character, I did feel slightly embarrassed when in front of the whole breakfast room I was told I was too late for breakfast at 9.10am when I was told the previous evening breakfast was served until 9.30am, even though I realise she was joking I went to breakfast on my own and all the attention was then drawn towards me, having said that she was a lovely, friendly lady and if a little more tact was involved I would say that all the different personalities add to the character of Ferndale and enjoyment of the stay. I would definitely stay again and would recommend Ferndale to friends. Thank you for your hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Martials

Reviewed June 8, 2014

As a mothers day present I bought my mum and my self tickets to a show and decided to make a night of it with a B&B stay. I chose the B&B purely on its reviews, so relied on other people's opinions!!!! So glad I did as Ferndale turned out to be a fantastic choice.

On the train down I rang to ask if we could leave our bags in the reception as we would be 3 hours before check i, this would give us time to have a walk around the harbour before the show, he owner answered and said it would be fine. A few moments after ending the call I received a phone call from an unrecognised number, it was Ferndale asking if we wanted a lift from the station, not only were we shocked but pleasantly surprised and excepted the kind offer.

On check in we were made ware of all places of interest and of things happening in the area, which would be great for people who don't know the area.

We had a twin room, which was clean and had all amenities needed, with plenty of extras such as toiletries and tea making facilities.plenty of plug sockets for charging phones etc and free wifi to download all the lovely pictures taken of your day out.

Beds were lovely and comfy and had lovely white bedding, which was clean and fresh. Ensuite shower and toilet nice size, towels nice size and soft.

Breakfast lovely, plenty of food, you certainly won't go hungry, nothing was too much trouble. I had fresh fruit and a muller light yoghurt followed by a full English consisting of 7 items all very good quality. There is also cereals, porridge and toast on . Unlimited Tea and coffee, my mum made use of that with a second pot!! Of course we were entertained by the owners mum in law who was charming ;(

At breakfast we were asked if we wanted a lift back to the , this really is above and beyond the call of duty.

Would definitely recommend Ferndale and will be returning, thank you for a
great stay

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have been visiting Torquay for nearly 50 years and this is the cleanest place I have ever stayed. Lovely stay with grandson aged 3 and mother aged 86! All well catered for. Very welcoming very comfortable and breakfast to beat many of the large hotels I have stayed in both in and around Torquay. Will definitely be returning what a gem! Friendly family welcome - didn't want to leave ! Couldn't fault anything. Many thanks for a lovely stay only wished you served dinner too.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank SankeyAng
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Clean room, friendly helpful staff, great breakfast all for a very competitive price.

Warning it is on quite a steep hill but to be honest so's the whole of Torquay

Will stay again. Next time I find myself down that way.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I would definately recommend this B & B . The staff were very friendly and happy and nothing was too much trouble.
If we are down that way again would definately book in with this b and b again.

We especially liked the gran she is a wonderful character and her grandson was very helpful, nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Great value for money. Had booked single room, but was upgraded to a double as hotel was quiet. Room very clean and presentable with everything you could want. Breakfast superb with wide choice of items including fresh fruit, everything you can think of for a cooked breakfast and choice of 3 different sorts of toast - brilliant scrambled eggs. Family very friendly and helpful and as a single female guest felt totally at ease.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 473Cate_C
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Ferndale Lodge for one night on our way to Cornwall. Paid £45 for B&B which was excellent value for money. Would recommend to family and friends. Very comfortable bed and good bathroom facilities. The gran is a lovely woman ... very entertaining

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple