“re-Kingsholm”

and 1 more site!
Kingsholm Hotel
Ranked #8 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Brilliant Carl@June were great hosts,we will use this hotel in the future and will recommend this hotel to our friends and family They new everything about the area what time the buses were what number to catch for certain things.They were absolutely brilliant.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I chose this B&B for my first stay in Torquay based on all the incredibly positive reviews I'd read, and every one of them is fully justified. The Kingsholm is perfectly located just a few hundred yards from Torquay harbour, which means it's really easy to see everything the town has to offer and also access local transport like buses, ferries and the steam train - apart from one trip further afield, I left my car in the dedicated private car park around the corner.
The pre-arrival email I received before I set off included helpful directions and introduced the hosts, Carl and June, who do an amazing job of making guests feel really welcome and catering to every possible need. When I finally arrived, tired and stressed after a fraught journey from London, June came down and took my suitcase up to the room while I parked the car. The welcome pack in my room contained the answers to any questions I didn't think of at the time, but I was encouraged to ring the buzzer in the hallway if there was anything else I needed at any time. June and Carl live on-site, but leave a number on which they can be contacted if ever they are out. My room was a good size, with clean, modern yet cosy decor. There were lots of little extra touches, like complimentary toiletries, a face cloth and tissues in the en-suite, and a bottle of mineral water and a couple of cubes of local fudge with the tea and coffee-making facilities, and the free WiFi was first rate in strength. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty, and hot food was freshly cooked to order from a menu. Refills of tea and coffee, and more toast, were readily offered. The dining room has a friendly ambiance which encouraged conversation with fellow guests, and other shared accommodation includes a very comfortably furnished guest lounge and the bar, which doubles as the reception for new arrivals. I spent a pleasant evening in the bar chatting with another couple and our hosts, who are genuinely interested in their guests, and the sort of people you would want to spend time with. They have great plans for continuing to improve the hotel, and are rightly proud of their establishment. I can't praise them highly enough, and would definitely recommend the Kingsholm to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in Torquay. I was very sad to leave, and hope to return next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had a wonderful 4 night stay here in June.
We parked our car in the loading bay opposite the hotel to enable easy check in with our suitcases. We were then given a card to operate the barrier of the car park which provided us with a secure and guaranteed parking space for the duration of our stay.
On arrival we were offered a drink in the lounge and given a small tour of the property.
The hotel throughout is decorated in a contemporary and homely style. Our room (9) was painted in soft creams and coffee colours with chocolate brown accessories. It was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. There was a little bit of traffic noise, but then again this room overlooks a main road on the front of the property (so the hotel is not to blame).
Breakfast was totally awesome!! There is a wide range of cereals, juices, yoghurts to help youself to. Carl serves the tea and coffee (of which there is plenty - never an empty cup!!) and takes your order for cooked food. There is a huge selection of items to choose and you can have exactly what you want. On booking we advised them that one of us was vegetarian and this had been noted and they provided veggie sausages daily. June's cooking is superb, the food was always piping hot and plentiful (and not at all greasy).
June and Carl are the perfect hosts - both are very friendly and attentive.
The hotel is perfectly located for the town centre and harbour, less than a 5 minute walk downhill. The local buses all stop by the harbour and there are numerous bars and restaurants nearby.
We would not hesitate to stay here again or to recommend it to others - and we cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel may be quieter as these are not located on the main road side
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We were given a warm welcome with the offer of a cup of tea after our long journey. The room we had was bright and airy furnishings to a very high standard .Location excellent and as pensioners took advantage of the excellent bus services. Breakfasts were ace with plenty of choice, set us up for the day. In the evening we returned to have a drink in the bar, both Carl and June were good company. We hope to return in the New Year.
Chris

Reviewed August 30, 2013

A lovely place to stay whilst visiting Torquay . We have stayed at a few places in Torquay and they were very good but the kingsholm stands head and shoulders above them. Brilliant up to date rooms with lovely beds and showers. The kingsholm is situated just a short walk from the harbour with everything you need all in walking distance. The breakfast is absolutely delicious and the service is second to none, with tea/coffee and more toast being offered regularly. You can choose from having , Cereal, fruit, yogurt right up to the full works and nothing is to much trouble for Carl & June .

Upon paying for the stay, I had a long conversation with Carl, and he told me all the plans they had for the rooms , from updating the small things right up to ripping the tiles off the wall and updating the interiors.

Overall a great stay , at a great hotel with great hosts. Overall a 10/10

Andrew Lawrence

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Kingsholm is certainly worthy of its four start rating. We genuinely cannot find a fault and trust me, I always try! A warm and friendly approach, Carl and June, made every effort to make us feel more than welcome. Their organisational skills are second-to-none as is their attention to detail. The room was in excellent order. The food was equally excellent. We didn't think perfection existed, but this experience proved us wrong!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

the kingsholm is one of the best hotels we have stayed at.the room was very comfortable and the breakfast was a1.the location was ideal for everything.many thanks to june and carl for a great break.we hope to return in the near future.

Room Tip: any room would have been good,