All reviewsgrand uksea viewchristmas decorationscoach holidayexcellent value for moneypleasant staysea fronttea and coffeetown centrecannot faultwarm welcomelovely roomweekend breakyogurtbrianbalconybay
Reviewed December 6, 2017 via mobile

Booked for five days was upgraded to balcony sea view on arrival lovely big room very clean , comfy bed , nice breakfast no grease and well cooked very friendly staff and the Christmas decorations are brilliant they have really made the effort next time I’m in Torquay I will be booking the Richmond

Stayed: December 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2017

A very cheap few days, so expectations were not particularly high. The location is a very easy walk to both town centre & the sea shore. The paradox of the Richmond is that you'd need a scraper to scrape of the black dirt round the bedroom window frame, but the hotel wins the award for the best Christmas decorations... they were amazing. Breakfast for a fiver was superb, the place was warm and hospitable, in spite of its need for a major refurb. Mind you, there were new carpets. The team running it were thin on the ground... maitre d'i. receptionist & waiter were all the same man. But the staff were happy, obliging & gave a really family-home ambience. I would always visit here as long as it was a very cheap deal

Room Tip: try and get a room furthest away from incoming revellers
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2017

I wasn't going to write a review for this disgusting hotel that I stayed in for 1 night in August as I gave the Manager the opportunity to makes things right. However, after ignoring my calls and my email I have now decided to take this further, contact The Uk Holiday Group who run/manage this "hotel".. However, my review reflects my 1 night stay here, as follows -

I stayed in Room 16 which is situated on the 1st landing of the staircase. I had no sleep whilst staying here, due to guests running up and down the stairs, shouting and slamming doors until 2.30am on and then to add insult to injury, the fire alarms went off at 6am so I had a whopping 3.5 hours sleep.

The room is wholly below standard, even for the small sum that I paid, the walls are filthy as was the bed linen, I went to bed with my clothes on because the bed linen was so spoiled with stains, the bathroom is disgustingly dirty, the towel rail and the grab rail in the bath are both coming off from the walls and are both incredibly dangerous and needs a complete overhaul.

I spoke to the night staff when I was leaving at around 7am and he told me that he didn't hear anything the night before, well, he's either obviously deaf, oblivious to the noise that the idiots who were running around were making or was the one who was making all noise?! I didn't even receive an apology, just a shrug of the shoulders...

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2017 via mobile

Got off to a bad start with not being able to park and having to lug suitcases 10 minutes along the road due to the hotel having about 10 parking spaces. The hotel it's self smelt absolutely foul like a dirty old nightclub. Everything about it is very dated. The room was very dank and grubby with a huge damp patch all across the ceiling. The bathroom was particularly unpleasant- I genuinely felt it would be more hygienic to skip showering - not what you want after a 6 hr drive! The while experience was pretty grim and after 5 minutes in the room we began searching online for another hotel. Unfortunately having spent £65 on this hole we were unable to afford anywhere else and had to rely on going out for several drinks to make the 1 night stay bareable. No way I could have stayed longer than that. Oh and our room had a lovely view of the bins and the staff smoking area. It was such a delight to have the whole family awoken to 2 male staff members stood right outside the window swearing their heads off the next morning.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank ILOVEGREECE09
Reviewed October 31, 2017 via mobile

Booked a one night single room to stay after a nearby caving trip. Chose it because it was central, £31 including breakfast. Didn’t read the reviews but may not have chosen it if I had however I had a quiet and uneventful stay. As a woman alone I appreciated a phone in the room. There was plenty of tea and coffee and milk pods in a roomy single room with comfy bed, very clean and a good TV. Staff polite and welcoming. I asked for and got gluten free bread at breakfast and the chef said they had gf sausages as well - despite my not booking any gf food.
The hotel is old and rather tired and the poor window catches and a ground floor room made me feel a bit insecure. The Car park is tiny and very litter strewn which is a shame as that’s what you see first. I parked further down the road.
Without sounding like a snob the other clientele were mainly dressed in tracksuits and seemed to spend a lot of time drinking and smoking outside, or running down the road to use a public phone but then it was a very cheap deal. The area around the hotel is run down and cider drinkers were filling a bench up the road.
It did what I needed though and my ensure was lovely with a great hot shower so I was happy.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled solo