All reviews grand uk sea view christmas decorations coach holiday excellent value for money pleasant stay sea front tea and coffee town centre cannot fault warm welcome lovely room weekend break yogurt brian balcony bay
Reviewed January 3, 2010

My wife and i have been organising New Year Tours for 35 / 45 peoplefor over 20 years and without doubt our New Year spent at the Richmond was the best ever.Nothing was to much trouble for the staff or managment.Food was good and the entertainment was excellent.The decoration s were magnificent.This was the opinions of all our group not just ours,so much so they want to go back .Thanks again for a wonderful 4 days.John

• Stayed: December 2009
2  Thank judi42
Reviewed November 9, 2009

We have just got back from a Tinsel and Turkey weekend at the Richmond and first impression was that the hotel is in serious need of refubishment. The lady in charge was reading out the rules and regulations before handing out 50 keys which was extremly slow and the room we were given was not one of the nicestl! The rooms do not go in any sort of order and there are seval different sets of steps through doors to rooms with no lift.
Some of the rooms have been refurbished which were very pleasant with a balcony overlooking torbay, lucky if you get one of these. However there are lots which have not been done and they are not pleasant! I stayed in room 48 which was very dated with condensation on the very small, dirty window which we were unable to open (the maid did open it after we left a note). The floors creaked, the beds creaked and were uncomfortable, the decor was so old, the bathroom had a carpet in which was frayed and had nails holding it in place.The tiles and shower curtain were awful with the shower which was running off the taps, the towels were also frayed with only a bar of soap supplied and a musty kind of smell. Room 45 was the same but had holes in the net curtains in both the bedroom and the bathroom. Room 49 was absolutely tiny, I do not know how they could call it a double room. One of the other rooms I saw was a family room which was in a worse state than the others already mentioned as the bathroom had brown flower tiles with a beige/brown colour suit which the bath tipped slightly when someone climbed in for a shower. THESE ARE THE ROOMS WHICH ARE NOT ADVERTISED ON THE WEB PAGE!!
One person in our party was given room 31 which was outside the building round the back which was in fact staffing accomodation. The whole building was so really hot. Meals are taken downstairs which also housed the very small pool and a games room. Food was fairly basic but adequate, we asked for additional rolls with dinner and was told there was none so we brought our own on the second night, we asked for extra roast potatoes and they just didn't come out. Some of the staff were helful but not all of them . A small glass of Rose wine cost £2.95 with pints at £2.60 they did offer a happy hour between 8-9 but this only reduced pints to £2.00 all other drinks were normal prices.
The location was ok with about 20 minute walk to the main town centre which is a lovely shopping area and the harbour is a nice place to walk to.
I would not recomend this hotel as it needs a lot of money and time spent on it to bring it up to date, however they have said that all rooms will be refurbished by late next year!
This is a true account of this hotel so think carefully before booking and if you still feel the need to stay here make sure you get one of the newly refurbished rooms with a balcony and you may have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2009
8  Thank truthfulfromnorfolk
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Reading some the other reviews, I reckon there must be TWO Richmond Hotels in Torquay. This one could not have been better: Beautiful, spacious room; wonderful view; friendly, efficient staff; everything was clean - totally spotless; excellent breakfast; great value. We will definttely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SamSamUK
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Its tough to get a place to stay when there are 7 guys in your group, the Richmond was fine with us. I was told over the phone that we could check in at 2pm, upon arrival it would be 4pm, was'nt impressed. The location is pretty good, we could walk into the town centre in about 20-30 minutes. Also we got bed and breakfast for only £30 pppn which is a great deal. The hotel was fine, breakfast again was just fine. My room was a bit dated with a few carpet stains and it took forever to get the shower temperature right without burning myself. The bed was quite comfortable, the info in my room said that an iron and board was available, I asked at the desk and they said there wasnt said items (take your own iron) generally the hotel was fine, no complaints from my friends so upon that I would recommend this hotel and to save searching around if I returned to Torquay I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank belbox09
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We only stayed 1 night (Saturday). Rules and regulations abound in this hotel - the nicest thing was the decking out back - it was so hot in the hotel. We stayed in a room overlooking a fire escape - the window had a screw nailed in to stop you opening it. The bathroom - although a good size left a lot to be desired. The valance on my bed was dirty - thankfully the bed linen was clean. We were in room 17 - try to avoid - next to it is the thoroughfare to all the other rooms - very noisy. We met a gentleman who was a regular visitor - he told us that he has a room with a balcony and a view - wish we'd had one - he loved it. There was a lady singing (I describe the term loosely) although the other guests appeared to be having a good time. Didn't have much to do with the staff, although I agree with other reviewer about the receptionist - she was going to recite a list of does and don'ts to us - but I told her we'd already heard - her telling the guests in front of us who were booking in. Breakfast was okay - although shot glasses were provided for the juices.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple