“a very good week”

Ranked #69 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
preston
“a very good week”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

we stayed at the richmond and enjoyed it,ian and the bar staff very friendly and helpfull,food was very good,would go back again,only downside was the rooms we were in near carpark ,there was a lot of noise early morning with the coaches waiting for guest to take them on there excursions,but apart from that it was fine.

Room Tip: make sure you get a balcony room as you are woken up by the coaches in carpark side rooms
1 Thank PrestonYorky
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Ian and his team as I know how much these are appreciated.

We certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

stayed for 5 days with Caledonian Coach travel. Excellant value for money. put special request for seaview room which we got plus a balcony. lovely view over Bay and hotel gardens. Food was really good with choices for all. Manager and staff welcoming. Only problem with room was noise from entertainment lounge but after a long day out we were really too tired to notice.
Would look forward to staying again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hazel M
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Ian and his team who will be pleased to read them.

Please be assured that your comments concerning the bar noise have been taken on board and will be discussed to see if any measures can be taken to address this.

Thank you again for your review and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel is a little tired and in places in need of some TLC but it was perfectly adequate for a short stay. It is used by coach parties but only one was there when we stayed. The food was good and I'd stay again.

Room Tip: We rejected the first room (ground floor) we were allocated as the mattress had springs almost throu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Leslie H
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your comments and have passed these on to Ian and his team who will be pleased to read them.

We have an ongoing maintenance programme across our hotel group and agree there are some areas which need upgrading, however we pride ourselves on the level of service and hospitality provided and which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have recently returned from a 2 night stay here and based on my own personal experience of this hotel i thought it was excellent. I telephoned a few weeks ago to add evening meals to my booking and the gentleman i spoke to was extremely helpful. I telephoned again the evening before my arrival to advise that i would be arriving much earlier than the check-in time and because i was travelling by train, would i be allowed to drop my case off at the hotel so that i could go out and about exploring. This was not a problem at all and again, the member of staff i spoke to was helpful, polite and courteous. I arrived on the morning and indeed the message had been passed on to the manager and he gladly took my case off me to look after while i went out for the day. When i returned to the hotel, check-in was fast, efficient and friendly. When i entered my bedroom, to my amazement, not only did it look recently refurbished, it had a private balcony with the most beautiful view over Torbay. This was a really pleasant surprise!! The bedroom was a spacious double even though i was travelling alone. It was very clean with crisp white bed linen, plenty of tea and coffee supplies and a good flat screen television with Freeview. Out on the balcony, there were two chairs and a table so that you could sit and enjoy the spectacular view in front of you. One of the wooden pieces on one of the outside chairs had broken in half and this need attention, but it didn't matter to me as it was only myself there so i didn't need that other chair. Hopefully it will be fixed though. The bathroom was very spacious and clean. The towels were crisp white and of excellent quality.
The evening meals were always served hot. They were very tasty and the menu always offered plenty of choice. The manager of the hotel came in to the restaurant on the two evenings i stayed and went around and actually asked the guests if everything was OK with their meals. I thought this was very impressive and displayed excellent customer service. Another example of the excellent customer service provided at this hotel was on the first evening i had chosen Rhubarb Crumble and Custard for my dessert. While i was waiting for it, i could hear some of the other guests saying how sharp the rhubarb tasted. When i had mine, the rhubarb was indeed sharp. I had not been sweetened enough, if at all. I had to send it back and order a different dessert. There was no fuss when i requested another dessert and they gladly provided it which was delicious. What impressed me the most though was that the hotel manager went around and apologised to us for the Rhubarb not being to our liking. I thought this was a really impressive display of great customer relations and actually showed that they care at this hotel for their guests. Well done for that! After evening meal, you could help yourself to tea or coffee and mints. As the weather was so fine i took mine out onto the decking area they have outside. They have plenty of tables and chairs out on the decking area and it was lovely sitting there. One thing that i would suggest is that they should have parasols on this decking area as it is in a very sunny and very warm spot. Sometimes it is nice to sit under some shade. As well as excellent and filling evening meals, the breakfast was great too. There were good choices of fruit juices and cereals. Plenty of toast and tea and coffee and more than enough on the plate with the full cooked breakfast. Instead of a grilled tomato, i requested an extra slice of bacon which was gladly provided.
Before going down for breakfast and in the evenings, i really enjoyed sitting out on my private balcony. It was fantastic especially as i wasn't expecting to have a room with a balcony. The hotel garden was very nice too and you could easily see that it was well looked after with a neatly mowed lawn and carefully cut hedges and bushes.
I would not hesitate to return to this hotel based on my recent experience there. I had a great time there in all aspects. It was excellent value for money. The staff were friendly and helpful and worked hard to ensure everything run smoothly and that guests were enjoying their stay. Well done for that and keep up the excellent work! Thank you for a very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Request a room with a sea view and a balcony. The view is superb!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Coachholidayfan
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I really was very pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Ian and his team who I know will also be pleased to read them.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at the Richmond through a kgb offer and when I booked for 10th & 11th July I arranged a upgrade. We arrived VERY early on the 10th and asked if we could check in to be informed the room was not yet ready (understandable) so we toured the area until mid-afternoon and reported back to be informed the room (35, nice room) was ready. We got the key and entered the room to find two bottles of wine on the dressing table and thought, this is true hospitality, but there had been a slip up and the room had NOT been serviced. The manager apologised profusely ane we had a pot of tea (on the hotel) whilst this was corrected. This is a tired old lady and will be great when updated, we would stay again. Staff did not understand my humour but we ended up friends (I think).

Room Tip: Front facing top floor rooms have good views
1 Thank Frank B
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was very sorry to read your comments and in particular, the comments relating to the cleanliness of your room. This has clearly not reached our usual standards and as such I must apologise. We have taken steps to address this by ensuring that the housekeeping teams were given refresher training and that Ian, the General Manager increases his spot checks on rooms before guests arrive.

We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, it does appear that we were let down on this occasion for which I apologise.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and I do hope that you will be able to stay with us at some point in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Hi we stayed here fri 5th July for one night on arrival I was very pleased with my room lovely balcony ,spacious room lovely clean bed and towels . Now for the downside !! we arrived back after visiting family in torquay about 1am ish . fell straight to sleep only to be awoken by lots of noise coming from the downstairs bar !! we didnt realise the bar seems to operate an all night policy !! as we wer directly above this it was horrendous we eventually rang down to complain at 4am !! The noise stopped then but surely the staff know people are occupying the rooms bove the bar and should, A ,not serve till this time or, B , not use these rooms !!! most dissapointed !! Room 12 avoid if poss

Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I really was very sorry to read your comments and to learn that you had been disturbed by noise from the bar. We are currently looking at what steps can be taken to improve this situation for our guests.

Your feedback is valuable to us and your comments have been taken on board. We do hope that you will be able to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

You get what you pay for so while the Richmond is never going to win any prizes (well not until they have a major refurbishment) it represented value at £50.00 for the night bed and breakfast. Clean and tidy the room was spacious with plenty of clean towels and comfy beds. The breakfast was average with the restaurant nice and bright. Will go back.

Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your constructive feedback, following your recent stay.

We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling programme.

With Kind Regards.