“Great view of the bay from our room”
Review of Hotel Richmond

Hotel Richmond
Ranked #74 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
slough
“Great view of the bay from our room”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our room looked out over the bay we had a fantastic room with a large decked area where we could sit and have coffee and just take in
The view we could walk to town via the promade which was lit up with coloured lights very pretty. Take the old 1947 bus to go to agtha cristies summer house greenways the bus shakes rattles but that is half the fun of it the driver tells you things of interest on the way. The hotel was clean tidy and the staff very helpfull the barman in the evening was very nice and funny. We had a very enjoyable weekend and we would go back in a flash..

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank black-cat-slough
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and kind words regarding staff and cleanlines of the hotel. I very pleased you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Penryn, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

As title says not bad, but not excellent. Very friendly staff, spacious room with lovely view over the bay. Very clean and tidy and plenty of tea and coffee provided. Needs updating but we only used it as a pit stop to sleep and get clean so not really an issue for us. Breakfast provided was a bit of a disappitment but filled a hole! Bar meant to be 24/7 but when we got back from our night out, came back early to relax in said bar, and was shut! Never attempted the pool so can't comment on that. Wet room large enough but water crept onto the carpet if you had it on for too long! Overall good. Would stay again at a cheaper price, we paid £60 for the night.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kim M
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding the staff and cleanliness of the hotel. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you again in teh future.
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

"The Richm" or "The Richmo", as it proudly displays its title on the facade, is a fairly friendly but tired 3 star (almost) hotel conveniently situated in an area richly sprinkled with hotel accommodation a short walk from the harbour at Torquay and its seaside tourist delights. The booking website showed a tariff of £150 reduced to £37.50. At the reduced price it was very good value. The double room was warm, clean and, apart from a couple of niggles (The bed could have been more comfortable and the shower would have been better if the shower head hadn't drooped everytime I tried to step under the spray).
The dinner offered was reasonably priced for four courses but no alternative was available, which meant that a visit to local restaurants was in order. Breakfast was included and a full English with a choice of fruit and/or cereal in addition with as much tea and coffee as you want. The bar was not horrendously expensive but the quality of wine (by the glass) was disappointing and the "draught" Guiness was canned. Evening entertainment amused the largely oap residents. Wifi was not available in the room and neither was the indoor swimming pool open at the advertised times.
Would I go there again? Well, actually I would....but not at £150!

Room Tip: There is a lift so ask for a room near the top as this is further away from sounds from the car park...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Clive T
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. I have taken on board your comments regarding the tariff and this is being investigated. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
St. Austell Cornwall
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Hotel family room - had 4 beds one double & 3 singles - so plenty of space. As previous reviews state rooms are in need of modernising eg fake flower displays & avocado suite in bathroom! Clean enough though and plenty tea & coffee. Could of done with a larger tv especially for the size of the room. Haven't seen a 14" portable tv for a while.
Breakfast was good and nice and friendly staff.
Ideal for what we wanted - a base near the town. Good location - no problem to walk anwhere. As other reviews stated parking is a bit of an issue - top tip take the very first space as you arrive.
Enjoyed our stay - I have given an 'average' rating rather than 'very good' but I would give the hotel a 'good' rating overall - if this option was available.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lake3_11
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. Due to the character of the building the rooms do vary in size and style, but I am pleased you found the hotel clean as per our standard. The parking is limited directly ourside the hotel but there is also parking available on the side street in walking distance. We will look forward to welcoming you at the hotel in the future.
wantage, Oxfordshire
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Got to the hotel eventually - sat nav had a hissy fit and I thought this was a precendence for what the hotel would be like! First impressions from the outside the hotel looks nice.
The reception man was lovely and informative - he explained everything clearly and in detail. Even our little questions didn't deter him and he was very helpful. Reception is next to a bar and you have huge rooms with lovely sofa's where on a lovely day you could admire the scenery. Unfortunately is was raining on our stay. BUT lovely all the same!
The rooms are quite spacious, we had a double bed and a single (In case I fell out with the hubby I spose ;-), clean although a tad queaky bed). The double was fine, nice size, however my side of the bed was right next to the door so I didn't have a side table which I miss because I am one who likes to sip water whenever I wake up. In my opinion they should get rid of the single bed and place the double in the centre with side tables on each side. That could just be me being picky I suppose!
Bathroom was large enough, water very hot which is stated clearly in the shower and on the sink. Plenty of towels. And the shower is lovely. Just what you need to wake you in the morning.
Plenty of tea and coffee to get me started in the morning.

The only slight downside is the carpet is a bit worn and tacky, and the decorating just needs a slight lick of paint to brighten it up again.

All in all Yes I would stay here again for the £39 per night price we paid.

Room Tip: Outside our window was fire escape steps so If you don't want to take the chance of someone seei...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cjbunni
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding the friendliness of the staff. The hotel offers excellent value for money as you suggested. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have just returned from a four day break, murder on the river dart (Agatha Christie) was the theme. Before i was due to leave I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and was very concerned at all the negative comments. I took the advice offered by a couple of reviewers and booked a room with a sea view. I thought if all else failed at least I would have a decent room. Well I must say I do not know what people expect for their money. I was very pleasantly surprised by the hotel. Yes it looks a bit tired and lacks a bit of entertainment in the evenings but overall the room i had, number 10, was very good. I had my sea view which was lovely and a large balcony, plenty of storage space and large bathroom. The food was good, plenty of choice and always hot. I was a bit disappointed that nothing was offered with rice but you cannot have everything. I think the Richmond was excellent value for money and I would definately recommend the hotel to fellow travellers. It is not too far from Torquay town centre either. Our tour guide Jane was very pleasant and knowledgeable and always eager to please. Unlike our coach driver in torquay, but that is another matter.

Room Tip: i can recommend room 10 on the first floor. double bed, sea view and balcony. has bath with shower o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank marianne564
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just got back from a four day break murder on the river dart was the theme. Hotel Clean, food good, service good, We had no complaint at all The only little niggle was lack of evening entertainment on our last night, our room over looked the sea and had fantastic views our tour guide Jane was very helpful would i go back yes i would

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kimmy53
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to our hotel. I take on board your comments regarding the entertainment. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel clean and the staff friendly. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.