“Dont go to this hotel!!”
Review of Hotel Richmond

Hotel Richmond
Ranked #70 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Dont go to this hotel!!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Me and my family stayed at this hotel Mon - Fri , The first room they gave us was for a disabled person with no proper shower or bath , so asked for another room , the second room they gave us was terrible very dark and dingy it felt so dirty when you walked in, it was so in need of some TLC , so again asked for another room, this room was a little better but still in need of some TLC as it is very dated, curtain rail hanging off, bathroom smelt terrible probably cos of the old carpet in there . The evening meals were disgusting ,not much choice and dont cater for children , me and my husband are not fussy eaters but even we couldn't stomach the food . The hotel had a funny smell to it and the down stairs toilets was a lot nicer then the rooms , The entertainment was for the over 80's ,but one good thing we had the swimming pool to ourselves,The staff was helpful and polite .I dont usually write reviews but this hotel was so bad i thought people needed to know. :(

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Hayley118
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I am sorry that the hotel’s room choices did not meet your expectations. The first room is used as a specifically designed disabled room with a wet room. It is also a large room with a private balcony that we use for families. The hotel had already sold many of their other rooms and therefore the choices on arrival would have been limited. However, there is no excuse for curtains hanging off their rails. The hotel has now rectified this and is investigating your concerns regarding any smells you experienced. We do cater for children and the hotel, and the menu choices are available on request. I am pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We really do value your custom and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel Richmond for three nights as part of our holiday touring the South West. We had a lovely time and came away rested and very happy. We stayed in a lovely room with balcony and stunning sea views over the bay. The room was excellent, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The room was light and airy and the king size bed very comfortable.

The public areas were very nice and the staff were excellent. Terry the manager was very helpful and eager to ensure our comfort. Fernando on reception and Rob, night reception were both amazingly friendly, helpful and very professional. I must apologise that I did not find out the names of the girls in houskeeping and the restaurant but would like to emphasise that they were also excellent. Staff here cannot be faulted, they were always friendly and happy to oblige with any little request and were most helpful with information and advice. A nice relaxed atmosphere where customers really matter.

We enjoyed our breakfast each morning, i especially liked the choice of yogurt and fruit in addition to cereals and the cooked breakfast was fine. I do not think the breakfast ingredients were of the highest quality but on the other hand they were perfectly acceptable. The coffee was very good. The restaurant was only open for dinner on one evening of our stay so we did have to go out for evening meals but we had planned to do this anyway! When we enquired about evening meals, we were informed it was because all guests were booked in on a bed and breakfast only basis which we fully understand.

The indoor swimming pool was lovely, small and warm. We used it every day and mostly had it to ourselves. Only down side was the door from the pool area to outside was locked and I would have liked to sit out and come in a swim from time to time. However, I am sure if I had asked the door would have been opened for me, but frankly I was so chilled I could not be bothered to go and ask, which speaks for itself really.

I cannot wait to return to the Hotel Richmond, I loved it. It has a nice homely traditional feel and is excellent value for money. Do not expect a boutique style poshness, expect traditional values and excellent customer service dished up with friendly care.

Room Tip: Rooms 8-11 have balcony views and have been recently refurbished. Lovely rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debby1606
Thank you for you positive comments regarding the hotel’s facilities and the hospitality of the staff. The hotel aims to offer quality accommodation, excellent hospitality and good value for money. I am very pleased to read that we have met your expectations. We really do value your custom and Terry and his team will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
Bristol, England
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed here on a 2-night deal with our 18-month old granddaughter. First impressions were not good and it all looked a bit tired. Limited parking (which was full), but we managed to find some nearby free parking on the road. No wi-fi available in the hotel (they don’t even have their own website).

I struggled on my own with two suitcases and a couple of bags into a small grubby-looking lift to our room on the 2nd floor while my partner parked the car. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I reached our room to find this review’s redeeming feature, which was a lovely large room with a small balcony containing a table and 2 chairs with view over the garden down to the sea. The room was reasonably clean (although I did find a few long hairs around, particularly in the drawers etc), had tasteful and modern decor and contained a double and a single bed.

We had asked for a cot to be available but there wasn’t one in the room (we had initially been told this would be charged at £10 per night, but when I looked it up on a website and found they were quoting £5 a night, I called them and they reduced the price). Anyway, I went down to Reception and asked about the cot. He said he had no note of it, but would see what he could find and sure enough, he turned up in the room a few minutes later with a brand new travel cot and a couple of sheets and a pillow. He said they didn’t have a blanket or quilt available, but luckily I had brought a small blanket and as the weather was very mild, it was OK. He was however very helpful in pointing out places to visit and suggesting some nice things we could do.

The room contained a hairdryer and had plenty of storage space (although like many hotels, it could do with a few more clothes hangers). There was a basic beverage tray and a kettle, but no complimentary toiletries, only a couple of plastic ‘glasses’ in the bathroom and a miniature bar of soap each. The towels however were white, clean & looked pretty new, although no bath sheets, only bath and hand towels. The shower was not much cop, not very powerful and ran out of hot water before we could both complete our shower in the morning.

It was very warm on the first night and we had the patio door wide open and slept on top the bed. However, the maid didn’t even bother to straighten the bedding or plump the pillows the next day or even make up the cot again – all she did was empty the bins and replenish the coffee.

Breakfast was an unimpressive affair. It was very basic – no fresh fruit or pastries and only the cheapest unboxed cereals and bowls of tinned fruit and yogurt, with the cheapest apple & orange juice and sauce & marmalade sachets that money could buy. It was however the quickest cooked breakfast I have ever seen appear, as they were obviously pre-cooked and ready on the plates for collection from the kitchen and thus not very hot – contained 1 cheap sausage, 1 slice of bacon, beans, a fried egg, ½ a slice of fried bread and a tomato. The service itself was a bit of a shambles, particularly on the second day when we had to sit at a table which was un-laid, as all the tables that had been laid had been used, although not one of them had been cleared and no attempt was made to clear them whilst we were there, despite there being 3 waitresses apparently on duty. We had to ask for the juice to be replenished, for paper napkins and went to fetch our own milk for tea, as we weren’t supplied with any. I left my tea to brew for quite some time, but it was still as weak as dishwater – I probably only had second use of the tea bags. One of the waitresses was particularly miserable – when my partner asked her to replenish the juice, she didn’t even bother answering him and I noticed another couple, who had just had their breakfast plonked in front of them say ‘excuse me’ to gain her attention and she just said ‘two minutes’ and walked off, never to be seen again during the entire service, so they had to fetch their own cutlery to eat their breakfast! I was even more unimpressed when leaving the hotel to be able to look over the railings at the front to see several of the kitchen staff ‘having a fag’ with a very full ashtray on the floor by the kitchen door.

There was a bar available and an outside decking area, which could have been really nice, but instead it had several broken chairs and only 3 parasols available for the entire area. The area outside the breakfast room looked dirty and was covered in weeds. The patio doors were kept shut in any event, even though the breakfast room was very hot and stuffy, and the windows were dirty. The gardens down below however seemed very well kept.

All in all, I am being very generous in giving the place a 3-star review, and one of those stars was for the nice room we had. It wasn’t all bad and it is a shame, as it would only take a few changes and a bit of effort and staff training to make the place nice, but I got the impression they just couldn’t be bothered, or it was just a franchise looking to make a cheap buck. However, it was good value for money on the deal we had, particularly for the nice room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank badgeress
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Hotel Richmond. I am pleased to read that the standard of the room did meet your expectations. However, I am sorry to hear that the service in the restaurant and the quality and the food was not our usual standard. The hotel has addressed these issues and the feedback has been extremely positive. Wi-fi is now available is the bar and lounge area of the hotel. We have taken on board your comments and once again thank you for your feed back. We do really value your custom and hope we can welcome you again in the future.
Crewe, Cheshire
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My partner, my daughter (5) and I stayed for 2 nights on the KGB deal. Was well worth the money. Two bad points were room 7, bed was too creaky and every time one of us turned over it would wake the other up, so slept with my daughter as it doesn't creak when she moves. Second was room far too hot, sweating all the time even tho temp outside was average. However lots of good points, staff are fantastic, reception staff and breakfast waitresses. Very good with my little girl, always talking to her. Got to swim in the pool, small pool, but had it all to ourselves. Played indoor green bowling and skittles too. The man who was on nights 11th aug was brill. Really nice, friendly and welcoming. I would recommend you to stop here if you want a traditional seaside break but if you want a modern stylish boutique hotel then your looking in the wrong place! Very clean rooms but old. Would recommend to anyone and will return, if we can get a good price again! :-)

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Leannepogo
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Booked via National Holidays, Really good value for money. Wouldnt recommend for those with restricted mobility but apart from that fine. Easy reach to town centre and sea front. Reception, bar and restaurant staff all very friendly and excellent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Jeffseaton
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Hotel Richmond. I am really pleased to read that experienced a warm welcome from all the staff at the hotel. The hotel is in an elevated position. You can access the beach from the back of the hotel, through the gardens which is less elevated. We do have a lift that services a number of our rooms. We really do value your custom and Terry and his team will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We made our reservation via the Hotel and the service was very professional. We stayed in July 2012 for 4 x nights and was given a very comfortable room with beautiful seaviews. The bed was large and comfy and the pillows were brilliant/best I have ever had. We will definately stay again it suited our requirements and we enjoyed our break. Thank you so much to Terry Hazelwood the General Manager of the Hotel who made us feel so welcome. We will be back!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor room with seaview and balcony, lovely
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 187065Decland
Thank you for taking the time to write a review a review about the hotel. I am pleased to read that your stay exceeded your expectations and the friendliness of the staff was delivered. I will ensure that your comments are feed back to the hotel. We really do value your custom and Terry and his team will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2012

very dated but clean and very friendly staff .breakfast ok never had evening meal but the view from our room was 'wow' and the room was very big .. great location had a really nice relaxing weekend ....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LynnN67
I would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about the aspects of your stay that you enjoyed. I have taken on board your comments regarding the décor. We really do value your custom and Terry and his team will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.