“Great Weekend at the Bancourt”
Review of Bancourt Hotel

and 1 more site!
Bancourt Hotel
Ranked #83 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Weston-super-Mare
“Great Weekend at the Bancourt”
Reviewed September 27, 2008

Myself and 2 friends stayed in two rooms for 2 nights over a weekend and had most of our expectations exceeded! We can't really comment on the value for money as one of us works for a travel agents and got a special rate. However everything else was great, when we arrived we were checked in by a member of reception who was a bit dull and lifeless but promptly checked us in.

We found the rooms to be very clean, and although the decor was a bit dated, the fixtures and fittings were obviously fairly new and in good condition. The beds whilst maybe in need of being replaced were comfy and gave a good nights sleep.

The restaurant (where we had breakfast both mornings and an evening meal on the saturday which was inclusive) was quiet and there were plenty of staff to accomodate our needs. The breakfasts were good and the evening meal was very nice and we had our own designated table for the two night stay.

The gardens were very pretty and the pool was quite good, its a small size and was very well heated, and is a nice depth of 1m throughout, great for those who aren't the most confident swimmers or who have children with them.

We didn't use either of the bars as we ventured into Torquay to experience the nightlife. Its my guess from seeing the main bar on the way to the pool that it is more popular with the older generation, and being in my young 20s it certainly did seem that not many people of my age were staying here at the time.

Overall I was impressed as my expectations of this hotel were exceeded and I had a throughly enjoyable stay.

• Liked — Cleanliness of the Rooms
  • Disliked — Dull reception staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank matstone99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Weston Super Mare
Reviewed September 22, 2008

I stayed at the Bancourt last year (I go to Torquay every year with a large group of friends) and remembered it was cheap and cheerful, but having returned this year, it seems to have gone downhill somewhat. I feel their website is rather misleading as to it's quality and finish.
The hotel offers good value for money, but the food we were served and the service generally in the restaurant was poor.
They don't seem to have accepted that many people nowadays suffer from allergies when it comes to food, and they were particularly unhelpful with mine.
I won't go into the in's and out's, but much to my dismay they did little to offer me an alternative. I ended up having a fruit juice (which was half a standard size juice) and was left feeling as though I had some sort of disease that was unmanageable in their opinion.
Anyway, aside from this, anyone who stays here will have to be prepared not to digest their food: the restaurant is only open for an hour, so all guests need to eat during this time, and as soon as you've finished your starter, they've taken your plate and are heading out with your main course. I had to ask for time before my dessert simply because I felt under pressure to finish.
The rooms are basic but clean, and there is plenty of storage. The pool is great for kids and the bar is well stocked (although the evening entertainment is aimed at an older audience, so you may want to plan an evening out after dinner!), and the location is perfect. Close to everything you need, and Torquay is a beautiful place.
I will stay at the Bancourt again, but will probably not book on a DBB basis!

• Liked — Location and value for money
  • Disliked — restaurant, both service and food served
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank bubblesWSM83

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels