“Brilliant stay, lovely hosts”

Yardley Manor Hotel
Ranked #49 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Newquay
“Brilliant stay, lovely hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

3 of us spent a night here and wish it had been longer. On arrival, we rang the bell, were greeted in a few seconds and were told we had been upgraded to a bigger room. Great start. We were told where the amenities were and given recommendations on restaurants to eat in at night. Lovely clean rooms with excellent facilities and all freshly decorated. We were made to feel so welcome by both the family and the locals in the pub that we went out to eat in the evening and then went back to the pub instead of going into town as we'd originally planned and had an absolutely brilliant night. People should understand that refurbishment takes time, especially if you're open virtually all year, but from what we saw they're doing a great job. Nice to see Steve & the family have noted peoples comments and are acting on them - fresh tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, top ups of coffee, thick slices of bacon and toast made for you at breakfast. The waitress was helpful and friendly but not in your face. All in all, you'd struggle to get better value for money anywhere. We're having a problem understanding some of the negative comments that have been put on here, but, having worked in the hotel business for many years, I know how rude guests can be! We wish the family all the success in the world with this venture and good luck with the new arrival later this month. We plan to carry out our threat of returning and Paula promises not to wash her hands in anything other than liquid soap! You have been warned!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank NewquayFoodie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Most of the communal areas of this hotel are in need of refurbishment, our room however was recently decorated and modernised. Great sea view which we did not expect. A warm welcome even though the temperature in Torquay was not balmy, and very accommodating to us with the menu as one of us did not eat what was on offer. Breakfast was great as expected and a nice stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed at Yardley Manor in September 2013 as part of my stag weekend. Initial contact was made to a friendly chap called Scott. From the off they were extremely accommodating, given that I'm sure the thought of a stag weekend basing themselves at a hotel probably fills the owners with dread!

8 of us stayed at the hotel and all of us had an excellent and comfortable stay. Upon arrival the staff had arranged for some buffet food to be available as we had all travelled 3 hours plus to arrive in Torquay.

Congregating in The Griffin Bar which is situated under the hotel we were greeted by friendly smiling faces.

The rooms were pristine, and mine especially was a very good size. The rooms themselves had everything you could need in them, with en-suite, television and freeview, a kettle with tea, coffee biscuits and milk.

The hotel served a breakfast each morning which was eagerly anticipated and did not disappoint!

The pricing was extremely reasonable and the staff could not do enough! Jackie, Holly and co were brilliant hosts.

Working the length of the country I have stayed in a number of hotels and this far exceeds the standard of even big corporates that I have stayed at.

I cannot wait to return to this character-full hotel next year with my now wife!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Martin H
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Come to the yardley manor hotel with my family the week commencing half term, me and my family had the most wonderful time!! All the staff could not have been more helpful they were amazing towards my children! They throw the most fabulous Halloween party ever !! The bar was decorated thought out with the most amazing spooks !! A buffet was laid out and we were told to help our self it's was just great!! Also all the staff was dancing with my children witch was really funny as we were all dressed up and having a fantastic time. I will most certainly be coming back !! Thank you so much for the best week EVER !!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Sarahgeff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Hi me and my wife to be stayed in the Yardley manor hotel lovely place very warm welcome. Thank you for recommending the sea vue room upgrade very very big room and bed!we loved the evening meals breakfast was 100% the hotel bar was a bonus very friendly people in there even got us joining in on the jam session on Sunday! Lovely family run business close to town Will be returning thanks to Jackie and Steve and little benji plus rest of fam see you next time !

Stayed November 2013
steve076388, Owner at Yardley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
JK, Many thanks for your review, we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us again, and thanks for mentioning the jamming session, it has become popular with Mike Medway running the session, together with other artists palaying along side him it really makes them now a group, the partisipation of the guests with musical instruments is a great laugh and i know you and your partner enjoyed having a go.
thanks again

Regards

Steve & Jackie
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

After a very rude, threatening and aggressive phone call from the owner.
My original review was removed by trip advisor.
So I have deleted and edited certain parts.
All that I say is the truth. I have nothing to gain by lying.
What is the point of having this website if you cannot help out fellow travelers by voicing your experience and views.

On checking in the owners dog took it upon itself to use the reception carpet as a toilet and considering the stained carpet and funky smell, I can only assume it wasn't the first time.
The Receptionist gave us no information at all, due to being too busy arguing with another couple trying to check in.
The room is very basic with holes in the walls, lights not working in the bathroom, beer mats stuck In the windows to stop them rattling, mis-matched bedroom furniture, a sink plug that did not work and no fire doors. (Please read other reviews, I am not the first to mention these things)
The PAT testing stickers on the plugs were 6 months out of date. So I can only assume that they were not safe. PAT tested or not, I would of liked the management to put it's guests at ease by replacing the stickers.
This is a self assessed 3 star, so In the future I will only be staying somewhere certified by the AA.
We did however have an iron in our room, which I felt unsafe to use due to the information on the plug sockets. Well that and the fact there was no ironing board. We did find the missing ironing board piled outside in the car park with loads of other crap. Not very pleasing to the eye.
The breakfast was adequate.
The only saving grace is the location but be careful as it is atop a very steep hill.
Since I stayed here, I have spent an hour or so going through the feedback left by other guests and the response from Steve (Owner). I only wish I checked before hand.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
15 Thank P14y-Up-P0mp3y
Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Me and my wife stayed in this hotel for two nights a few weekends back.
The staff were friendly,the breakfast was very nice,the room was clean
and it was in a prime location just a short walk to the centre of torquay.
Would recommend but dont expect anything fancy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple