“Nice and warm welcome”

The Cimon
Ranked #15 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
“Nice and warm welcome”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Myself and my partner wanted to have a night off from the norm so we booked this place. First impretions was good, Its a very nice and warm place, when we got there we was shown to our double room, the room was very small, dont get me wrong it had everything you need in a room but you would have to shuffle the get round the bed. The bathroom was a good size and had a very hot and powerfull shower. In the hotel there is a bar with free pool table dart board and tv. The landlord was the barman that night and we ended up chatting to him for a while, he was more that happy to tell us about the area and the best places to eat ect.. In the morning we went down for breakfast, the full english was perfect. The view from the hotel is stunning, over looking the sea. I would go back there in the summer to make full use of the hotel swiming pool, it was a bit nippy in feb so it was out of bounds.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allen86
Adam B, Owner at The Cimon, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thanks for the review. The compact rooms are a little small, we make that clear on the decription, most people are happy with them if they use the room for is sleeping - otherwise there are plenty of bigger rooms available too.

We're opening up the pool at the end of April, I hope to see you again when the sun is out! Book direct for the best deal of course!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
London, UK
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely stay at the Cimon over New Year. We had a sea view room which was lovely especially when the sun was out! Good location giving easy access to seafront and local high street. Ample parking which sometimes lacks in seaside towns. Lovely family run hotel and Anita cooks the best breakfasts, luckily we weren't staying longer else I'd have come back with a little extra weight than I went with. Will be going back in the Summer to try out the lovely pool! Thanks for a great stay Anita and Adam.

• Stayed December 2012
St.Albans
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Torquay is a favourite destination of mine and I have been going there regularly for many years. The Cimon was such a discovery.
I took one of the special offers and went open minded. On arrival I was pleasantly surprised; greeted by a very friendly young couple who showed me round and made me feel at home straight away. The sun was shining and I took a cup of coffee on the cosy patio, glad that I have escaped from the cold overcast Hertfordshire.
What a treat - a beautiful sea view room, a superbly cooked full English breakfast served in a bright sunlit room, a bar that does hot and cold drinks all day, friendly people when you want some local information or just a chat, and also quiet spots where you could sit with a book or an ipad.
The location is great. Perched on a hill - to capture the last rays of sunshine in the day and the sea views, and yet a few minutes walk to the beach on one side, and a few minutes walk to the shops on the other side. It's also convenient for outings and driving to any destination with the comforting knowledge that there is always space in the hotel car park upon return.
I had a thoroughly enjoyable stay!
On the down side, it was not long enough.
I am already planning my next visit in late April / early May, when I'll be able to try the heated swimming pool.
Looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are the best!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Adam B, Owner at The Cimon, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thanks for the nice review! We say the pool is open from 1st May, but it might be ready a week or so earlier. Best to check ahead if you're hoping to come for a swim in April!
South UK
Reviewed March 15, 2013

In Torquay for a Brass Banding weekend, we needed a hotel that provided all we needed for relaxation before the big contest. Luckily The Cimon provided us with all of this, having a very large room (with two bathrooms), a surprisingly quiet night's sleep, and a very complete breakfast, conveniently located near the Riviera Centre and 5 minutes walk from the town centre. Thanks a lot for an easy and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room further from the entrance.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Adam B, Owner at The Cimon, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thanks for the great review, and congratulations on winning the competition! Good luck in the final!
kent
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Cimon Hotel overlooks Torquay harbour, which is a five or ten minute stroll away. Anita and Adam Batson took over the Cimon about a year ago and are doing a really great job. The only resemblance that other place in Torquay - Faulty Towers - is that there is also a view of the sea!
The welcome is warm, informative and enthusiastic. The rooms are comfortable, clean and very well appointed. Anita's breakfast is delicious and cooked exactly how you like it.
There is a bar downstairs, with a snack menu in the evening.
There are more than enough parking spaces - essential in Torquay.
As I write this, I am conscious that it may encourage others to stay here, but hopefully - with 15 rooms - there will still be one for us next time we come.
Finally, there is a wide choice of restaurants around the harbour. For fish and seafood straight off the boats, go to Man Friday's (up a side street next to Macari's). Not the cheapest, but GREAT value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Thank you Adam and Anita for a wonderful stay, your hotel is very welcoming and family friendly :) my littleone loved the play room and we loved the breakfasts :). Thank you again i will be recommending your hotel to everyone who's going to Torquay, and we will definately be back.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank vixtwix
Adam B, Owner at The Cimon, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thanks - I hope you bring little Lucas back when the pool is open, I'm sure he'd love it!
southampton
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Looked forward to a hard earned break encouraged by the signs of good reviews. We were given a small room with a tiny wet room which had no heating and felt very cold. On arrival at lunch time the room was also cold and we were advised the heating came on twice a day. On return from a bitter cold few hours outing we came back to a cold room / bathroom. The manager gave us a blow heater to warm the room. We booked out the next morning which cut short our planned 2 night stay.Very disappointing. Poor value for money even with voucher.

Room Tip: not near the top in cold weather months
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 396glen
Adam B, Owner at The Cimon, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thanks for your review.

I'm disappointed you didn't mention this as your reason for leaving early - you told me you were leaving early because the weather was miserable and you didn't like Torquay! I asked specifically if the room was the problem and you said it wasn't; it's a shame I have to hear about it on Tripadvisor when I asked you to your face. We would have been happy to move you to a different room if you'd said something.

The heating comes on 3 times a day, for extended periods when it's colder outside, we don't want any of our guests to feel uncomfortable. You had an electric heater and another heater in the wet room, I checked if you were comfortable and you said everything was ok.

I tell every guest that one of us is always available if they need anything and we always do our best to ensure everyone has a great time here. I'm sorry our standards fell short of your expectations on this occasion.