“fab stay,great staff”

Ranked #22 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Bristol, United Kingdom
“fab stay,great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

another great stay here, only one night wish it had been longer, nothing is to much trouble, fantastic rooms, 2 bedroom rooms are beautiful, you can see where improvements are being made, slept very well :-), bathroom is fab, choice of a shower or full bath, this room is absolutely lovely, couldnt fault it, sea view, room 32 really nice. we had lunch which was very nice, cant fault breakfast,lots of choice. Outdoor pool is brilliant,also has a bar where you can order food and drinks,hot and cold, beautiful gardens. All the staff are great, very friendly. Lucy does a fab job x.
p.s Elaine is still there and lovely as always x

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lucy P, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear fingerbob1973,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your 2nd stay with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time and that you can still see that we are continuously updating and upgrading all areas of the hotel.

Your comments about the lovely staff are also greatly appreciated and I will pass on your comments to Elaine!

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Lucy & the team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
swindon uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

The first you see when you walk in to reception is a life size cut out of the new owner!
We dined in the hotel saturday night,i ordered tomato pasta with garlic bread,when it arrived it was in small dish,no garnish or anything,if i blinked i would have missed the garlic bread,salad
is so cheap it would have looked so much better with a garnish.i wouldnt eat in there if i stayed again,can get much more for your money outside of the hotel.
We had a fire exit door near our room which was out of use all fire exit signs pointed to down stairs,thats ok providing the fire isnt coming up those stairs,this must surely be a big health & safety issue.
The staff were probably the best thing about this hotel,for what i paid for the weekend i was quite disappointed with our room,the furniture was very tatty,i know the hotel has recently been taken over & some rooms have been refurbished but i feel the old rooms should be a lot cheaper to compensate this,sit on the toilet & the toilet lid would fall against your back.
I could go on but i will finish with saying i think this hotel could really do with a visit from Alex Polizzi....the hotel inspector........Dont think i would return.
Lastly no wifi in room......everyone expects wifi in the room nowadays

Room Tip: Room 27 avoid its right at the front & if you need the window open its very noisy in the night
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ferrarifan
Lucy P, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear ferrarifan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was very disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your time here. We are currently in the process of changing our restaurant a la carte menu as we do acknowledge that there are some existing issues. Hopefully, this should be implemented by the end of this month.

Regarding the fire exit you mentioned, I can assure you that we comply with all the necessary regulations as implemented by the local authorities and we are routinely inspected to monitor our compliance.

I'm sorry you were unhappy with your room. If this had been brought to the attention of the reception, they would have endeavoured to move you to a different one. We have almost completed the renovation of all of our guest rooms, but for the ones not yet completed, we do ensure are still to a good standard.

I am pleased that the staff lived up to your expectations as we do pride ourselves on having a great front and back of house team who offer all guests a true warm Torquay hospitality.

I do hope you will consider returning to us so we can try to change your opinion on The Grosvenor.

if you need any further information or would like to contact me directly, please do so on gm.grosvenor@richardsonhotels.co.uk

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

Charming old hotel, perfectly situated near the seafront in Torquay. Lovely garden and outdoor swmmingpool. Spacious and nice room with large bathroom, although a bit warm in the heat as only one window could open. Some of the staff is friendly and very helpful - others less so. Had to ask for missing towels in room three times, the last time the receptionist hung up on me when I tried to explain that our kids would like to shower too. At last we got the towels, but pool towels in stead of the fluffy ones. And stay clear of the restaurant. We waited half an hour for menus, one and a half hour for the food ... And got another main course than ordered. The desserts never came, although we reminded the waiters twice. When we complained, we were told that they had a coach party, a birthday party and more walk-ins than expected this night, but dear Grosvenor, you should not take on more guests than you can serve. We would gladly have gone to another restaurant to avoid having our last night on holiday ruined by your poor service. Won't even comment on the food. This is probably a case of bad management, which is a shame, as several of the staff clearly do their best and this charming old hotel has great potential.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SusiOslo
Dear SusiOslo,

Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your stay. I'm extremely disappointed to see that you had a less than enjoyable experience when dining here and this concerned me. I carried out a full investigation regarding this and the appropriate action has been taken.

Unfortunately, at the time of your stay we had a large number of new team members who are still in the process of on-job training within the F&B Department. The hotel was also extremely busy at the time, yet we would never knowingly put ourselves in a situation where we were unable to handle all of our guests. This is in no way an excuse for your experience and I can only apologise for the poor service you received.

I do hope you will consider returning to us so that we can show you our true Devon hospitality. If you require any further information or would like to arrange a return booking, please contact me directly on gm.grosvenor@richardsonhotels.co.uk and I will arrange accordingly.

Lucy & team.
Harlow, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

I spent my birthday weekend their and enjoyed it. Entertainment fair. Only drawback bars &entertainment finished at 11.00pm.Short of that I would go again.next time I would go withiut my friend because she tried to ruin my break, but the group I went with were wonderful they gave me great support.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Norma F,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your birthday weekend here. (Belated birthday wishes).
Unfortunately, we do finish the entertainment at 11pm to ensure there is no disturbance to any guests that may be trying to sleep. We do, however, keep the bar open 24 hours for all hotel residents and there is always a member of staff around throughout the evening to ensure all guests are taken care of.

I am glad that yourself and the group had a great time with us and we all hope to see you staying with us again very soon.

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Really nice hotel relaxed and friendly. Room was spacious with a large bathroom. Close to seafront and the theatre which was reason for our stay. Has leisure facilities but didn't use them. Would book again and bring our daughter and get family room next time as catered well for children in my opinion.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Caroline R
Dear Caroline R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. I am so pleased that you had a great time when staying with us.

We pride ourselves on being extremely child friendly and as well as offering welcome packs for children, we have cutlery, cups, plates and beakers for children available for all meal times and on the breakfast buffet, special children's menu's, crayons and pictures all around the hotel as well as smaller tables and chairs and high chairs for really little ones. There are also steps, potties and mini toilet seats in all of our toilets along with changing tables and baby chairs in changing rooms.

I'm also very excited to let you know that we are in the process of building a children's room exclusive for our younger ones which will be ready within the next 2 weeks.

Finally, We are also in receipt of a very prestigious award in conjunction with Torbay Council called 'Child Friendly Matters' which is an accreditation given to various outlets that provide a high level of service and equipment to families and young children.

We look forward to seeing you here again very soon.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Booked in for 3 nights June 27th. Room was very spacious and well furnished but spoiled by large brown watermarks on ceiling. Bathroom was not clean and had an unpleasant smell-complained twice- took 2 days and the manageress to sort it. Towels very white and fluffy but minus a bathmat on first day. Breakfast was a disaster on the first morning. I had to search other tables for napkins, spoons and sugar. Although plentiful breakfast was barely warm and toast was non-existent until I went to ask for it. We were offered a free breakfast but had already been asked to settle the bill on arrival!!! Many areas of the hotel appeared tired and used as storage space, oblivious of guests. No indication, either displayed or verbal, that hotel accepted dogs- already booked in when discovery made. Staff not professional-needs much work in this area.

Room Tip: No lift to upper floors.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jean E,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your time with us. With regards to the marks on the ceiling, we are aware of these and we do have a plan in place for all pending works and painting to be carried out. Unfortunately, I was unaware of any smell in your bathroom and must apologise for this as we clean and check all areas on a daily basis.

The bathmat that you requested is the rubber non-slip mat that goes into the bath and as standard we do not have these in guests rooms for hygiene purposes, but when you did request this, we did endeavour the provide you with one as soon as we could.

As you can appreciate, The Grosvenor is an old building and we are working hard to update and modernise is as much as we can, but unfortunately, things like this take time, but please do be assured that we are constantly carrying out various works to brighten up the hotel without losing any of its charm and character.

I can only apologise for your poor breakfast service. We have now placed additional toasters out in the breakfast room for guests to prepare their own toast should they require it, although we do also prepare a tray for you in our kitchen. Staff organisation has now been addressed and all team members have now al been allocated certain tasks and tables to take care of to reduce the confusion.

I'm sorry that you weren't made aware that we accept dogs. We understand that a dog is part of the family and so welcome our furry four legged friends to join their owners on the holiday and we provide a welcome pack in rooms for all our canine guests which include a blanket, a ball and some doggie treats as well as a sign for the door to inform our staff that there is a dog occupying that room.

I do hope that you would consider returning to visit us again and I would be happy to take care of your booking personally.

For any further information, please contact me directly on gm.grosvenor@richardsonhotels.co.uk.

Lucy & the team
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

My 90 year old mother and I stayed at The Grosvenor for 6 nights and were treated like royalty. Our room which overlooked the gardens and outdoor pool was enormous and of 5 star quality. I can't praise the breakfast enough - I ate so much fresh fruit and great Greek yoghurt each day and actually craved it once I go home.All of the staff were friendly and attentive and couldn't have been any more helpful. The actual location was perfect for the local beach, barely 100 metres away. I spoke with Lucy the manager before we left and told her how impressed we had been with our room, Lucy explained that all of the rooms had recently been refurbished to the same standard and other areas of the hotel were due to be refurbished too. Based on our stay I recommended the hotel to my daughter and her children and they have booked in for a week in August.

Room Tip: Room 2 overlooks the pool and you can park your car under your room window too.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank PomOnTour2
Dear PomOnTour2,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay with us.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We have worked hard to ensure that all areas of a guest's stay are as fantastic as possible and understand that as breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so work extremely hard sourcing and offering the best quality ingredients that we can.

We look forward to welcoming your daughter and her children and also hope to see you return to us very soon.