“The Worst hotel ever”

Grosvenor Hotel Torquay
Ranked #18 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Believe me the title THE WORST HOTEL EVER say's all,The staff lie and don't care, the room are disgusting, the noise at night from the road and street is unbelievable, I'm not an expert but I think the Health and safety might like to take a visit.DO NOT GO!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sndhollo

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Me & my husband have just returned from a 4 night break here at the grosvenor!! On arrival we were check in by a lovely lady called farah she was very welcoming,friendly and professional! She dealt with us pretty much threw out the whole stay. she was always so smiley to every single guest. It was farah that made our stay and have now booked for November and we hope she will still be there when we return :) Another mention goes to Yasmin in the garden restaurant she was such a lovely young girl always smiley!!! The staff make this hotel!! The rooms were a bit dated but you can see that they are in the middle of refurbishing it all! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Haras7591
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the Grosvenor over the recent bank holiday. We arrived Thursday at 11pm to check into our two rooms. A great gal with long blond hair checked us in, and she was the last of the helpful pleasant staff.

And trust me, I was the Director of Marketing for a Health System for over 10 years, i know customer service, and being proactive and honest, means so much to customers and potential customers.

I knew it was a crapshoot when I booked, but it was the last hotel with two free rooms for 4 days for the last minute planned long weekend. And I didn't realize it was a hotel that had its own tv show, otherwise I never would have gone.

I do feel bad for the staff, they are the target of the wrath of the problems, when its managements lack of being proactive and upfront and honest that causes it. And don't call and ask specifically to book a newly renovated room and trust you will get it. Between moved reservations, etc, i heard so many complaints.

Under renovation? post signs everywhere, apologizing for the mess, tell us you are making it better for the future. Offer cheaper rates for crap rooms. Or better yet, spend just a little money doing a heavy cleaning on the rooms that are waiting for renovation. Room 46, disgusting dirty phone, mold in grout in shower, horrible dust in fan in bathroom, black mold on outside of window, musty old bedspreads. Get rid of bedspreads immediately, buy cheap clean white or pastel quilts or something, and wash them. Oh, and there is a layer of dust on the top of the picture frame going down the stairs that made me so angry.

And yes i took photos of all, and yes, i am a letter writer so a letter will be sent.

My hubby had to work on Friday, so I called the phone number on the booking.com confirmation to make sure WiFi was available. I was told it was in all rooms. NOT WiFi was only available within 5 feet of the reception desk. Yes, 10 feet away in the bar, at a table with chair granting some privacy, no bars. My husband spent Friday in a chair in reception, hearing complaint after complaint from people, and only excuses from staff.

Saturday am, banging outside my window at 8:30am waking me up. It was the people taking down the scaffolding. I called the front desk and they had the banging stopped, too little, too late. today, Monday, fire alarm went off at 9am. This is a holiday.

And breakfast, don't bother. Gross, dirty silver wear, floor, chairs, etc. And the full English is not cooked to order. Probably sits way too long. Run to the Singing Kettle down the street. I met the chef at the Grosnevor and he seemed great, Inn has good reviews, but i couldn't bring myself to try the restaurant.

When we checked in, i was told that my daughters would have to change rooms on Sunday. Really? But the clerk told me she would leave a note, and someone would get back to me if they were not able to move things around. no note under door, no phone call, think all is ok and definately not going to talk to some of the crabby people at the front desk. Sunday 3pm, frantic knock on door, we need your daughters moved now.......

Listen, we stay in 5 star resorts, 4 stars and even 3 stars. Clean, proactive, 3 stars with great staff and customer service. i really should have read more reviews before paying 1000£, or about 1,500$ for 4 nights 2 rooms. Never again. Trust me, if I had other options, i would have left. i was so miserable. The only good thing, location, but totally not worth it.

Room Tip: Wish I could. Heard the renovated rooms are much better, but even calling directly and booking is n...
4  Thank Jennifer J
Reviewed August 24, 2013

we did the £10 deal for lunch and swimming. the lunch was amazing , the staff was friendly and very helpful and the pool was clean. just what we needed for a day out. the next time we are in Devon we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mandy B
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Ruffle Famiiy stayed on a 4 night break it is clear that of course this Hotel is indeed work in progress , The rooms are tired but this is in hand and if you casn slightly lower your expectations at this time in line with the room rates then you will see the bigger picture here too i am sure

We had a ball ,. Not sure who was on shift during some of the reviwers stays below as we found the staff really made the exepriance for us , Freindly and attentive.

A great location and our room whilst in need of some modernisation was adequote and had a great sea view

All in all this was a great holiday and we almost looked forward with so many things to see and do to getting back to the Grosvener to rest :0)

I have given this 5 stars after much council form my daughters not only for the experiance we had this week but also for what this hotel is well on its way to becoming with a great team in place.

We will return soon

Thanks to the team for looking after us

1  Thank Ruffsters
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a 4 night short break together with our daughter and 2 grandchildren.
Unfortunately I have some mobility problems and am always very wary of trying a new establishment for the first time. However I should not have been worried as every member of staff were so accommodating and helpful I thought I was in a 5* establishment.
We had a beautiful and very large ground floor room with just 4 shallow steps to negotiate, (I was told about this when I made the booking). The room was spotlessly clean, lovely white bed linen and good quality feather pillows. Overlooking the garden together with side sea views really topped it off.
The food was of a good quality and beautifully presented with a varied menu including fish, roast meat, pasta and a choice of salads.
There was live entertainment on most evenings, although we are not late night people the bar certainly seemed quite busy during these times. Obviously you can here this in the ground floor rooms but it does not go on too late and did not impact on us.
The overriding impact this hotel had on us was the positive attitude of the staff. Their helpful courteous manner was truly appreciated. Some of them are very young but they all have the potential to be a good team.Special thanks to Terry the barman who served our breakfast and could not do enough for us, also Yasmin from the dining room. Rachel and Elaine on reception were so accommodating ,and so many others who made our stay so enjoyable.
This Hotel is currently being refurbished and obviously at times does have some impact but this is kept to a minimum. It is impossible in today's financial climate to close an establishment to allow this to happen and I believe the prices at the Grosvenor do reflect this. It is a lovely old building which will be glorious when the refurbishments are completed.

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms are well worth the supplement. Garden views at the rear are stunning.
1  Thank gillian s
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here with my parents and two children for 4 nights. We had a beautiful room which was very large and overlooked the pool and gardens. We stayed half board and the food was excellent. The restaurant staff were excellent, very special thanks to Yasmin who ensured our every need was met, accommodating my mum's disability, serving all of our meals in the bar area. Terry, who worked on the bar during the day, was new to his position (started on the Monday) was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and he was very friendly. The reception staff were very helpful throughout our stay (having locked ourselves out of our room on several occasions we got to know them well). Rachael and Elaine were very helpful once again ensuring our stay was a very pleasant one. I cannot fault the staff, my room, the food or the grounds in this hotel. Yes, it is being renovated but this did not cause us any problems but for the price we paid I was extremely pleased with it. My children thoroughly enjoyed the pools (it was a shame the outdoor pool had to be closed for two days due to a lack of a lifeguard, however we were offered free use of the pool at The Grand hotel. There is so much to do in Torquay and this hotel is in a nice position for getting out and about.

Room Tip: My parents were in room 2 and we were in room 1. Both are very large with bay windows overlooking th...
1  Thank DCropanese