“Needs money spent on it.”

Grosvenor Hotel Torquay
Ranked #21 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Needs money spent on it.”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Went here for a night last Saturday with the wife.
The hotel is large, but the carpets are worn. Wallpaper faded and generally needs a facelift. This could be a really nice place in 6 months time.
Our room was nice but bathroom was tatty.
Bar was big and entertainment room was nice, a Robbin Williams tribute act was playing but there was only 13 people in the bar.
The girl behind the bar was rubbish, twice I had to go to reception to ask her to come and serve, she was watching tv.
There is a small pool outside but it was closed.
Breakfast was adequate, nothing special.
We only staŷed here because of the tv programme, I wish Mark and the others were still here because at least he was around all the time and would talk to the guests, I didn't see the new manager once.

1 Thank craigbKentUk
Rebecca S, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry I missed you on Saturday evening. The hotel is in need of some TLC, which we are in the process of doing. I am sorry to hear that my member of bar staff was not very helpful. I will be looking in to this. Customer feedback is really important to us as we need this to improve our hotel daily. I do hope you will return in the future so that you can see all the major improvements we are making.
Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Like so many other reviewers, we visited "The Grosvenor" simply because we'd seen the series on Channel 4. It's certainly in need of a major overhaul which will no doubt cost a fortune, but we went along with open minds. OK, so the plumbing thumped loudly after flushing the loo, and the bed squeaked loudly when you turned over. And perhaps the décor looks like something out of the 1970s. But these things are so unimportant in the scheme of things.

The staff at the hotel really deserve a special mention. We stayed for a long weekend and they really made it for us. Short staffed and run off their feet, they couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable and comfortable. Fantastic, we couldn't praise them enough.

On our first night we ate at the Inn@TheGrosvenor and it was a very pleasant surprise. Gorgeous Exmouth mussels, tasty steak...my husband said his chicken liver parfait was the best he'd ever tasted!! And very reasonably priced, would certainly go there again.

At the end of each evening we returned to the hotel and sat in the bar watching the nightly live entertainment which was of a very good quality and didn't deserve the tiny audiences.

The hotel was just as we'd expected, and we got a real buzz wandering around looking at all the rooms which we'd watched on TV. If you walk around quietly you can sometimes just catch the ghost of Mark Jenkins scuttling around the place....! We'll be back to "sunny" Torquay as soon as we can.

1 Thank Sue E
Thank you for your kind review. The building is very old, but we are working hard to transform it back to its natural beauty. The staffs are amazing; they work hard and love what they do. The Inn produces amazing, locally sourced steaks and fish. The feedback is great. We truly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel so that you can see the investment we are putting in.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed at the Grosvenor mainly because of price, but the location and the excellent staff made our stay. From the manager Becky down they are welcoming friendly helpful and do their profession credit. The hotel is tired but the bedrooms and public areas are clean and the food is of a high standard. This hotel now feels like its going places it may take time and a lot of money but the location and building is ideal for exploring Torquay. We look forward to returning to check the progress

1 Thank chris9gbr
Thank you for your lovely review. My team are a real asset to the hotel. Nothing is ever too much trouble. They are so excited about the changes we have made and are in the process of doing. We are in a great location, and all the money we are putting in to the hotel is all worthwhile. We have high hopes for this hotel. The potential is amazing. I look forward to seeing you again.
Pontypridd
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 2days starting on the 10th June, booked it then read some reviews and at first I thought o my god! Arrived in the evening the check in was very quick and the staff were very pleasant went up to the room number 48 and was pleasantly surprised, the room was clean and tidy decor was dated but okay. Had breakfast which was fine to. The location of the hotel was great for torquay centre and bus stops were near by. To the reviews I disagree with what some of them said I found the hotel fine, it had Plenty of hot running water and the staff were great, would recommend to anyone. We stayed in room 48 which faced the road and was on the 3rd floor might not suit some elderly people or anyone with walking difficulties due to the stairs

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank rob1obe
Thank you for your lovely review. Reviews like this are truly amazing as it shows that all our hard work is paying off. Room 48 is a very large room, a bit dated as you have said but this room is on my list of refurbishments. We are in a great location as you have said. Again thank you for this review, and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Kind regards
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Recently stayed here for 1 night with my husband and 18 month old son as a stop over on a long journey to Cornwall. Was greeted by one of the receptionists who came across a little rude and not really interested. We went up to the room which was fine and a good size for the 3 of us for one night. The weather was nice so we decided to get a drink from the bar and sit outside leading from the bar however there was a large group of drunken louts shouting, swearing and smoking cannabis. The area was scruffy and dirty with bottles everywhere and cig ends on the floor, not something I want my young son exposed to. We went and moved to the lawn area by the pool which was quite nice with more families, this was much more pleasant. We had dinner in the hotel which was fine and the girl serving was very helpful. Breakfast was served quickly and also fine. This hotel really needs some TLC and more management on scene to provent the issues raised.

1 Thank ALH2586
Thank you for your review. Customer feedback is really important to us, especially as we are a new business. I am sorry to hear that you felt my receptionist seemed rude. This shocked me as I normally here good feedback from this department. I will be investigating who was on shift on your arrival, and following this up as this is not acceptable. We did have a loud group in on this weekend and they will not be welcome back again. Unfortunately it is difficult to know who will be turning up to the hotel especially when they book online. My management team have been briefed on what to do if a circumstance like this occurs again. I truly hope that this will not stop you from returning to our hotel as we are working very hard to bring the hotel to a truly amazing destination to bring families.
Tipton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We arrived at the hotel on Monday 2nd June for a midweek break not having stayed here before. The receptionist was very friendly and carried our luggage to our room which was on the first floor. Nothing was too much trouble for the duty managers and staff and they made our stay an enjoyable one. We stayed on a B&B basis and could not fault the full English breakfast or the speed and politeness of our waiter. The hotel looks a bit shabby on the outside and a bit outdated on the inside but but the main thing is it was very clean, it just needs a bit of T L C and some money to give it that refreshing feel which I'm sure the new owners will give this lovely building. We have already booked another break in September here which we are looking forward to. Kath & Brian Perkins West Midlands

2 Thank Brian P
Dear Kath & Brian
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am truly honoured to have such amazing staff. Each and every one of my staff have great customer service, and work hard to ensure they deliver this. We are in the process this week of painting the outside of the hotel, so on your return you will see a major improvement. Once this is completed we are back in to the bedrooms to have the majority of rooms renovated by Christmas. We look forward to seeing you in September, and can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the new and improved Grosvenor Hotel.
Street, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stated here for one night, as the last minute !
So we got a good deal

The staff are very friendly and the breakfast was lovely and the location was excellent !!

It is however very dated and looks tired, needs a good dust around but for a cheap one or two night stay I would recommend it

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your kind review. The Richardson group understand that some of the hotel rooms are tired, and need some TLC. We are in the process of doing this. This is why we offer these great cheap deals for customers. We do have some amazing upgraded rooms which I advise people take advantage of as they are truly spectacular. We have great feedback with regards to our service, staff and facilities. I am confident that once we have all our rooms completed, The Grosvenor Hotel will be the best family, fun friendly hotel in Torquay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards