“Enter a stranger leave a friend”

The Norwood Guest House
Ranked #47 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Me and my girlfriend decided to book a last minute getaway for our anniversary - been in the early twenties we were apprehensive about what reception we would receive upon arrival...
How wrong I was, it was like walking into an old friends house! so very welcome and the staff - especially Veronica were exceptionally helpful as it was last minute thing we had no plans or idea where to go! we had complimentary drinks upon arrival after having a very long journey, room was cosy, clean and very comfortable! location of hotel is fine, just far enough away from beach to avoid vast tourism noise but close enough to get there in 10 mins slow walk. Breakfasts were delicious and served promptly. A car parking space was reserved for arrival however another person used it but the Norwood had a plan B! very very lovely stay - definitely not what I was expecting will hopefully stay there again soon! thank you guys so much!
A & H

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was booked fairly last minute and the proprietors could not have been more helpful. We were organizing a surprise for one member of the party and as everyone was checking in at different times, we needed discretion, which we got. The rooms were very clean and had everything we needed. Breakfast was fantastic and nothing was too much trouble. It is a slow ten minute walk to the beach and town center. We have stayed in other bed and breakfasts in Torquay in the past but would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Wow, fantastic from the moment you phone, arrive, and leave. The most welcoming hotel ever,beats all those big hotels/lodges. The room we had was very, very clean, comfortable. It has all your shower needs shampoo soap etc, hair dyer, tv, coffee and tea making facilities. We had a complementary freshly squeezed orange juice on arrive (tea or coffee was also offered), the breakfast was at a relaxing time for us, no rushing to check out. The breakfast freshly squeezed juiced, fresh fruit, yogurts, and we had a cooked English breakfast, I am not joking when I say it was the hottest breakfast I have ever had, even ones I have cooked myself, toast tea and coffee. The choices for cereals they must have nearly ever one on the Market, the same for jams. The
owners where really welcoming, nothing was too much trouble, and I would highly, highly
recommend this hotel DO NOT try anywhere else before you have been here.
The only down side for me recommending this hotel is they will get busier and I might not get another booking when I want, my problem not there's, we will be coming back, and back so much
so they will be sick of us. The other thing it is only 10 minutes most from beach and town, land
train passes, if needed. What more can I say but a big, big thank you for making our stay relaxing and enjoyable, we hated leaving,but we will be back .

Room Tip: We had room 9, slightly small, but had all our needs and room we needed. Large double bed, dressing...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We've just returned from our second weekend break here, 7 adults and 1 re-cycled teenager !!
From the moment we arrived to the minute we left, nothing was too much trouble. From refreshments on arrival to the superb breakfast.
The bedrooms were spotless & comfy.
Would not hesitate to recommend to anyone
Thanks to the family for our stay

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just returned from a weekend break in Torquay. And what a break! From the warm welcome that we recieved on arrival (complimentary refreshments was a lovely touch, following our journey), through to our attentive service during our complete stay. This family run establishment is not to be missed if you are considering a short British break.
The rooms are spotless and beds truly comfortable, with a fab modern walk in shower. Breakfast is faultless, with lots of choice. From a wide range of cereal, fresh fruits, yoghurts, to the full traditional cooked English (which, may I add is cooked to perfection).
Nothing is too much trouble, and you are made to feel as welcome as one of their own family member. But not in a false kind of way. They truly are lovely people. I'm mentioning this because it's "going the extra mile" that turns a break away into a great memorable break.
It's ideally situated on the popular Belgrave Road, within easy walking distance to sea front and town, and with lots of pubs and restaurants nearby.
Would definitely go back

Room Tip: Note that there are a few flights of stairs, so do request a lower floor if stairs are a problem to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed in Norwood B&B on Bank Holiday weekend end of May. We booked family room nr 16. I would recommend it to a friend and I'm sure we will book room there again in the future. Delicious breakfast! Lots of choices and everything very fresh. We enjoyed this stay. They will make you feel like at home. Our little boy didn't want to leave :-) Thank you very much to Mary and Veronica for amazing hospitality!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Our room was comfortable and spotlessly clean, in fact, the daily cleaning was the best I had ever seen in a hotel, and I travel al lot!
The hosts were so helpful, nothing was too much trouble, the food and service a treat.
I would definitely stay again.
Each morning we would be given a weather sheet at breakfast, eerily this forecast was always a absolutely correct to the hour.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends