“Ideal For A Short Stay!”

The Norwood Guest House
Ranked #52 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 24, 2011

My friend and I searched the internet for a hotel in Torquay for a one night stay (Good Friday) Some places were fully booked and others were two - three nights minimum stay.
We finally found The Norwood, the website is very nice and could be misleading if I am being honest. Our room did not resemble the photos on the website however I cannot speak for the other rooms as I didnt see them. We stayed in room 8 which was a good size. It had a four poster bed, dressing table, wardrobe, full length mirror and a television. It also had en suite with towles and toilettries provided. The room was very clean and tidy although is perhaps ready for its decor updating.
The Norwood does have limited parking facilities but you can reserve a car parking space when booking a room. There is also nearby hotels in which parking is available. The location of The Norwood is perfect for exploring Torquay by foot and Paignton and Cockington were a very short drive away. The Norwood has an Indian Restaurant within walking distance, Bombay Express. We had a meal there which was lovely. There is also a Pub, The Bull and Bush over the road which sells pub grub. We had a drink here after our meal.
The Norwood provided us with a full english breakfast which was perfect. Cereal, fruit, yoghurts, toast with a selection of jams were also available.
The highlight of The Norwood is Veronica! We arrived earlier than planned but Veronica made us feel very welcome. She made us a cuppa while we waited for our room to be ready. She asked what we had planned for our visit and recommended where to go for cream tea and an evening meal. When we mentioned visiting Paignton Zoo she found us a discount voucher in one of the many brochures/leaflets available. The following day at breakfast she provided service with a smile and couldnt offer us enough tea, toast and fresh orange. Veronica would do anything to make your stay enjoyable. Her enthusiasm and good nature should be bottled and sold, a lovely lady.
I hope this review doesnt put anyone off staying here because for a short stay it is perfect. A comfortable nights sleep, a shower, a good breakfast and the staff that make your stay feel personal.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank abisfab

Reviewed April 21, 2011

I stayed in this hotel because I wanted a relaxing weekend and it couldn’t have been a better choice. The owners went completely out of their way to make me feel at home, even taking me out on a run in the nearby countryside one day because I said I missed my gym. The food was more akin to that of a top restaurant than a guest house. The rooms were really clean and comfortable and the bed had proper fluffy duvet (always a winner with me). I stay in a lot of hotels, in a lot of places for work (most of them a great deal more expensive than the Norwood) but this really has been one of the best. The owners made me feel at home right away and pointed me towards all the sights, it even seemed like the fixed the weather for me too. A great stay all round, highly recommendable.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Kannice
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Creepy place that smelt of rotten cabbage!
During the night it became so cold as the heating was turned off. When we complained to the owners was told 'If you don't like it here then go somewhere else!' So we did.....stick to Premier Inn's in the future!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
norwood, Owner at The Norwood Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2011

We are a family-run guest house and we pride ourself on providing quality accommodation to the best of our ability. Hospitality and customer care are our priority. For the first time ever we had to ask someone to leave and this review is their revenge.

In this instance, you should take the cabbage with a pinch of salt!

Reviewed December 10, 2010

Booked this hotel recently on business in Torquay to stay there overnight after reading the glorious recommendations on Trip Advisor. All I can say is that it was far from glorious in my experience - I spent the night in a room overlooking a busy main road which meant that sleeping was extremely difficult due to the constant sound of cars lorries and buses running up and down the road all through the night. The room itself was extremely small with an even smaller bathroom, the toilet of which sounded like starting an engine every time you flushed it! True enough the owners were extremely friendly and the breakfast was good but all in all I left feeling extremely jaded the next day which I could have done without as I had an important meeting to go to the following morning.

Needless to say I will not be staying there again!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
norwood, Owner at The Norwood Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2011

It is grossly unfair to give 1 out of 5 across the board because of traffic noise - actually during the night the road is quiet, certainly no buses and lorries. Had the guest spoken to us we would have given him a quiet room at the back of the house. Our cleanliness, hospitality, service, value and location are second to none - read the other reviews. The room allocated was a small double room - more than adequate for single occupancy.

Reviewed September 5, 2010

I stayed at this guest house on business as I was attending the UKIP Annual Conference. It is around 5 minutes walk to the Riviera Conference Centre, perfect for business.

There was no problem with my late arrival of 10pm, and the owners insisted on moving their car out of the limited parking spaces so I could park my car there. Where they parked for four days I don't know, and this gesture was greatly appreciated and demonstrated service which went well beyond what was expected.

Be advised if your room is numbered 14, 15 or 16. These rooms are at the top of the guest house and will mean you climb many stairs - they're on the 4th floor and there's no lift. Not funny with luggage.

At the time of our visit the shower didn't drain particularly quickly, so it's possible to be foot deep in water. The shower door needs fixing as it doesn't close and water can go on the floor.

Additionally, the WiFi doesn't work on this floor, which for me was a real drawback as I was on business.

The breakfast has a wide choice and the full English is freshly cooked to order. The proprietors can never do enough for their guests, and unlike other places, guests are cherished rather than snarled at.

The shortcomings of Room 16 and the 4th floor were the only reason The Norwood didn't get 5/5 - the staff alone deserve greater marks than can be awarded.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ConsumerBloke
Reviewed August 16, 2010

If you want a lovely guesthouse in Torquay then look no further than the Norwood. The accommadation is spotles clean, well appointed to access the town and fantastic service from the owners. We have stayed 3 times in the last 18months and would not think of going elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Stokie056
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Welcomed with Tea or coffee, helped to park, offered to carry bag up to room. clean room, free Breakfast cooked.

Only downside if you are not 100% fit ask for a room lower down, and not room 15!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends