“Where have all the guests gone?”
Review of The Headland Hotel

The Headland Hotel
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed January 2, 2010

We have just returned from a twixmas break, and are glad to get out alive!

I have been going to The Headland Hotel for many years now and they have been steadily upgrading the rooms over the years. I have found that unless you know the rooms within the Hotel the standard of accomodation can be a very hit and miss, my sons room had a toilet that didn't flush and his television didn't have a good picture or free view channels we enjoyed, our room was fine.

The service has somewhat diminished as the staff turn over has increased in recent times and nobody seems to recognise regular guests any more.

We arrived on the 27th December looking forward to a two day Christmas break, on the first evening we had a lovely time, the hotel was very busy, at breakfast the next morning it was it's usual busy self. The evening on the 28th was most strange as after the usual two games of bingo the Hydro Lounge became very spartan of guests, which is most inusual as this is one of the attractions of the hotel as the entertainment is normally very good. My son left early that evening stating that he didn't feel well.

That night he became extremly sick with a very bad stomach. My wife was also taken extremly ill in the night. I went to breakfast the next morning later than usual only to be confronted with a very empty and desolate Romanoff Resturaunt, the staff looked concerned and were whispering to each other 'Where have all the guests gone?'

It became quite aparent after talking to other guests that the majority of people had been struck down by a very violent vomiting bug? Some of the guests were to ill to leave their rooms that day and stayed on. Luckily for me I was able to leave as I wasn't effected.

After many enjoyable years we have had two dissapointing breaks this year and are activley looking for another establishment to stay at in this area.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Fizzabella
There are newer reviews for The Headland Hotel

Reviewed January 1, 2010

We had booked a two night twixmas break, having stayed here twice over the last 12 months, had found the hotel to be very clean, had good clean rooms, food very good, no problems at all.
Arrived on the 27th December, 1st clue we missed, staff cleaning door handles !!
Given our rooms, again nice and clean, Sunday evening no problems.
Monday all again ok, during the evening, the people on the next table to us were taken ill, again clue missed.
Went to our room at 10.30pm, I became very sick at 12.30am, my son became sick at 2.30am, at this time I went to reception to apologize because my sons sickness came so fast he didn,t make it to the toilet.. Was told to call doctor, advised to drink only water and stay in room for 24 hours. I spoke to the manager who said that our room had been booked for the following day , but they would find us another room,My husband became ill at 5.00am.I had to ring reception Tuesday am bout 9.00 because we had not heard from manager, told to wait a little while and they would get back to us, about 1 oclock we were told we could stay in our room.
About 2 oclock a cleaner came into our room, we were all still very tired and ill in bed, he said sorry but thought the room was empty.
We stayed in our room all Tuesday and went to check out on Wednesday.
When we tried to check out, we were charged for phoning doctor, and also for the extra night we stayed due to our illness. The receptionist was very helpful, she could not get hold of the manager. So told us to leave and we would be contacted later regarding payment. Knowing the problems the receptionist was going to face I think the manager should have been there.
We called later and were advised that we did not have to pay for extra night.
In my opinion it was not food poisioning because my son had eaten different foods to us. I think it was a virus. We were given sample kits at 5pm, which by that time there was nothing left to come out of us.
Even now we are still not completely well, tired and pale.
I have never wrote a review before, and feel quite guilty writing this, but want to warn others, that unless the hotel has a very deep clean the problem will remain.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2010

The Headland Hotel was formerly The Overmead Hotel. It is a building steeped in history and that is reflected by the design of the older part of the building.
The hotel is situated on a headland overlooking Meadfoot Bay with a wonderful view across Torbay. Access is by a no through road, Daddyhole Road. Parking is fair in the car park but there is unrestricted parking in the road and a free public car park about 50 yds away.
The hotel is accessible for the disabled and has ground floor rooms with disabled fittings. There is a lift to most floors. The rooms are good with a programme of ongoing refurbishment . Some rooms are a bit dated but they are clean and airy.
The staff are probably the friendliest we have ever come across. Nothing is too much trouble, just ask. The manager is competent and guest-friendly. She is a credit to the hotel.
Food is abundant and with three meals a day you have to look forward to dieting when you get home.
This is our eighth year at this hotel and we stay from Christmas through ot New Year. We have nothing but good memories of the hotel and it is like a home from home. We have already booked for next year.
I appreciate no hotel can be 100% as guests would wish, this hotel goes a long way towards that goal.
The latestaddition is free Wi Fi, a wonderful asset for 'technophobes'.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lookforBournemouth
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Arrived at 14.30hrs 27th Dec' 09 room not ready ordered chicken sandwiches no white bread available chef gone to get a loaf.
That evening we were given a table for one and advised by the couple on the next table that this was were the coach driver normally sat and as this was a smaller table than any of the others we struggled to eat and drink.
Talking of drink we ordered a bottle of wine which arrived at the end of the meal whereby we complained but received no explanation and also requested a larger table for two to be put in place.
We ordered room service for breakfast for the 28th Dec at 09.00hrs, by 09.15 hrs it had not arrived so got dressed and went to the dining hall at 09.20 hrs to find that the normall sized table had not been put in place as requested.
Went to reception to complain and cancel room service charge as not received.
Evening meal that evening was still on a table for one, ordered a bottle of wine which again arrived at the end of the meal, collared the manager who apologised and assured us that our compliants would be rectified.
Unfortunately for my wife one hour later she became ill, we returned to our room where she was violently ill with vomiting until 03.00hrs, consulted with Doctor arranged by reception, who advised us that my wife was one of 6 at that time and that Environmental Health Officers would be visiting that morning to establish the cause, which in the Doctors opinion, could be food posioning, the 6 became 7 as the same illness hit me at 04.00hrs.
We went to reception on departure only to be greeted with numerous guests with the same sickness problem as it appeared to have spread thoughout the hotel, on receiving our bill we found that the charge for the non-existing room service had not been removed and that the telephone call to the Doctor made by reception had been charged to our account.
TWO DAYS LATER WE ARE STILL SUFFERING TRHE AFTER EFFECTS OF THE ILLNESS.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank jerrycSomerset
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I stayed at the Overmead hotel Xmas 1989 and had a very enjoyable time it was spacious and comfortuble. Twenty years later i decided to repeat the xmas break and what a disaster it was the whole place had changed for the worst. The Idea is to cram em in ques and overcrowding every seat was taken or covered with a handbag you needed to be 5 foot or under to use the mirrors in the room ( I had what was called a premire room) no car parking porter who did not know where the rooms were so a route march up and down was required before finding it. Asked to move car to make room for coach and then asked again moved car so coach could park and hay presto the member of management (understatement there was no management just people who thought they were) who was going to show me where to park had gone due to rain just left there. Food all came from freezer bags (have you ever tasted sprouts boiled from frozen ERRRR. I ended up with food poisioning and when i reported it was told it was stress. I remained in bed for two days and was never even asked how I was. And believe me they new I was ill as I had doctors etc. I made the mistake of ignoring this forums posted comments do yourself a favour and take notice. Try somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lbykb
Reviewed October 23, 2009

I have travelled round the world and stayed at so many hotels and decided to holiday in the uk this summer as i was going to florida in october.so we choose torquay which we loved and stayed at the westbourne hotel for the first 4 nights it was brilliant but they were unable to accommadate us for the full 10 nights so i had booked the Headland for the other 6 nights BIG BIG MISTAKE the rooms were FILTHY the bathrooms were never cleaned there was hair in the sink from the last people staying there.my sister and niece had to be moved to another room due to the fact that their room was never being cleaned or hoovered i had the manager up and had many discussion with him to no avail i got in touch with the owner MR S. FURNESS.he offered me a weekend break at christmas or new year which i could not take as we had driven down from scotland i asked for compensatio and have had no reply so i have put it into the hands of a solicitor.that is how bad the room was i know for a fact i was not the only guest to complain.so my advice to you is stay else where you are wasting your money and the bar prices are a complete RIP OFF so again all i can say is DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL YOU DO NOT GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

• Stayed: July 2009
4  Thank FLORIDAFANNY
Reviewed September 10, 2009

We stayed at the Headland hotel for 3 nights with our parents and extended family members. We had 3 of the best rooms booked (or so we thought)!! This hotel has some lovely views. We booked the highest price room and so expected quality. What we got was an okay view, over car park but you could see the sea... not spectacular and over the front entrance of the hotel so noisy in the evenings as that is where guests end up the night with a drink and a game of snooker! Okay, everyone entitled to enjoy their stay you may think. This was not such a problem as I have ear plugs. The BIGGEST problem was the old floors above our room. They were so noisy it was like being tortured. We went up to the next floor to investigate, having been woken at 6.30am and been tortured until 8am, fo find that the floors were so in need of repair they creaked for Britain. You would have to experience it to believe it. We had booked to stay 3 nights for a relaxing break as we work extremely hard. We spoke to the reception staff and they couldn't change our room. We left it at that and found the manager when we booked out... he response was totally and utterly ineffective. He replied by saying "thankyou for informing me... it is an old hotel". When we said that it is not fair to expect guests to pay very top price for a problem that was clearly unacceptable he just smiled at us!! We were told by other guests that had the room before we arrived that they too found the room unbearable and had booked for much longer so got moved. Therefore, this manager was clearly well informed about the problems of this room... i suspect many others suffered the same problem.
The reception staff were pleasant but again very ineffective... it seemed that as long as you were lucky to get an acceptable or maybe good room then it is okay but if you were not so lucky you could have a very different stay. My parents and relatives also stayed and had pleasant rooms... needing refurbishment but fantastic views without the noises. I did suggest to the manager that he really needed to spend the night in the room to fully appreciate that we were not moaning old crows. I would have expected a discount on the room and think that it is very poor customer service to let a customer leave whose family had spent a considerable amount of money between them. The price they will pay is this negative review and none of us will be returning to the Headland. The question being "how much has this actually cost the hotel when it could have been far better addressed by paying a little more attention to a genuine customer complaint and ensuring that customers don't pay for something they don't get!
The waiting staff at breakfast and evening meal were extremely lovely and attentive ..... if only the manager and reception staff were in the same league!!!
The food was pretty good, not the best we have had but certainly good enough.
To finish, it is fair to say that we had spoken to the manager at the beginning of our stay and he was extremely pleasant. He spent time with us and chatted. This made it more difficult when we checked out and he simply did not respond as you would expect. The Headland could not find us alternative accomodation so they should have compensated us instead of making us feel like we should have just 'put up and shut up'

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family