“Earths very own sea of tranquility.”
Review of The Headland Hotel

The Headland Hotel
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I recently travelled to Torquay for a family birthday party and a week with the family of our youngest daughters in laws , who had never been to England before. Our stay was the second week of June this year , and the weather was in the 30,s every day.
Some may think it strange that I should mention the weather , but let me explain. We all love the
sun or so we say , but as the temperature rises the more we seem to become pickey,niggled and
in some cases very rude indeed.
So when I tell you that I never once heard a single a complaint from a guest , or from a member of staff the whole week we were there , you can appreciate the level of service and professionalism that the staff were affording the guests , it was amongst the very best that I have seen anywhere .

Hotel wise , the room was a little on the small side but was very well appointed with an excellent level of comfort and cleanliness . The view from the window was looking to the east over the hills at the back and toward a small town, not a sea view perhaps , but a beautiful one never the less.

Our stay was booked as half board so that we were able to choose whether we wanted to eat there or in town a few nights. Well I can tell you now , the food is worth the trip back to the hotel from wherever you may be, not only is it excellent quality , but with all the choices , and so many courses, you are left wondering how they do it for so little money. We were both extremely impressed with the breakfast and dinner menu's . The staff in the restaurant we very professional. But more friendly and smiley than just there to do a job, they made us feel as though we were old friends, and that is the hardest skill of all.

So all in all an excellent stay at the headland hotel with a beautiful lounge area, lovely dining room, excellent staff and prices that are amongst the best in town. And Torquay ain;t bad either. we stayed in room 184.

Room Tip: A little difficult to park so use the free transport provided by the hotel if u can. A new coach and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toby D, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Good afternoon. I am delighted that you had such a lovely experience at our hotel, especially with your young daughter in law’s for their first ever experience of an English holiday.
I completely agree with you about peoples temperament changing in high temperatures and I am delighted that this was not the case during your stay. Our staff endeavour to maintain the highest levels of professionalism and standards of service at all times to ensure our guests have an enjoyable experience. I have passed on your comments and they feel especially proud to know that you feel their service eclipsed that of all the hotels you have stayed in.
Due to the age and nature of the building some of our rooms are bigger than others, but I am glad that you found the levels of comfort and cleanliness to be excellent. We are always striving to exceed expectations.
I am absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience so much and that you found the food to be of excellent quality. Our head chef Zibi and his team take so much pride in creating every single dish. I will pass on your praise to them and I am sure they will all be delighted.
I do hope you will return and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Headland before too long.

There are newer reviews for The Headland Hotel

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Lovely hotel, friendly staff situated on the hill side over looking Torquay. The view from our window was the sea and pool and it was stunning. Like being abroad on a sunny day.
It is a 10 min down hill walk to the harbour and taxi return recommended which is cheap and at certain times a free ride is offered.

Room Tip: ask for sea /pool view
3  Thank sarah065
Toby D, Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Good afternoon, thank you for taking the trouble to leave your kind words. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am glad that you enjoyed the sea views over Torbay and the pool area, our location on the Headland afford us stunning views and I am glad u enjoyed waking up to them everyday.
Our complimentary taxi service into town and back again is always popular, and I am pleased you were able to make use of this during your stay.
I will pass your kind comments on to all of our staff who I’m sure will also be delighted you had a lovely time. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Headland Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Just got back from the Headland Hotel after our 5th stay. We stayed in a club room with excellent views could not get any better. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The only problem was in the dining room the service was very slow were it took 11/2 -2 hours for the evening meal. We have never had this problem before. But we will be going back again.

Room Tip: Sea view room
1  Thank Jean S
Toby D, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you Jean for taking the time and trouble to submit a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and will be returning. I am sorry if you felt the service in the restaurant was slow. We are happy to adjust the pace of service, but certainly try not to rush anyone through the meal, as we hope it will be one of the highlights of each day with us. I do not know how many of the six courses you had, but can understand that if you have missed some out, then the time you mentioned may have seemed a little lengthy. Our Restaurant Manager would be pleased to ensure the pace of service is right for you next time.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We have just got back from another brilliant stay at The Headland Hotel. This time we stayed for a week and enjoyed every moment. The Hotel is in a beautiful position overlooking the bay. Both rooms we had were excellent particularly my club single with amazing views! The food is 6 courses and first class, exceptional value. Rooms were cleaned to a very high standard and immaculate each day during our stay. Staff are very helpful and our waitress, Christina, was brilliant. Overall The Headland Hotel is defintly 5 star in our book and we hope to be back again in October

3  Thank jcroo65510

Thank you for another very positive review, and I am delighted you found all aspects to be so good. I am particularly pleased to hear your comments on our staff, and I have passed on your compliments to Christina. We all look forward to your return in October.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Recently was guest at The Headland Hotel for a long weekend,
Well run hotel,friendly staff. The dining room was full of character,retaining features from the orginal structure.
Excellent food.
Keep it up 'Duchy group'We will return!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Lovely to receive your concise feedback, and thank you so much for your comments. We look forward to your return to us.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Excellent position on headland overlooking the sea. Staff went out of their way to please. Club room a good size and was more than adequate. Food exceptional for the cost of the DBB and I have felt value for money on this occasion. Dinner is served in the old ballroom of the Romanov's seaside venue. Outside pool, with well sheltered gardens to sit in. Although not one for evening entertainment hotel style, this was nightly and of a good standard. The elderly relative accompanying us enjoyed the performances and was his style. On the poor side parking is not ideal although plans are in-hand for an extension. 10 min walk down hill to the town centre for me but you need crampons and climbing gear to walk back. For most get a taxi back or you will be talking in syllable's for an hour or two after, unless you are fit. In essence I rarely return to any hotel a second time but on this occasion we came across very many who were returning, often several times a year. We stayed three nights as a group of two couples and a mobile 90 year old. Our room (176) was a twin with a double aspect. Other rooms taken 173 and 174 were larger and equally well provided with doubles, all with sea views. We intend to return in October. The hotel was very accommodating for meals outside the norm when we had to attend the hospital. To conclude. Staff good, food good, location good, value excellent. This is a happy and friendly hotel.

Room Tip: Variety of room styles to choose from, see what's available and balance the extra cost that may...
1  Thank Paul H

Thank you so much Paul for your valuable feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your first stay, and that you found us to offer excellent value. The parking improvements you mentioned are well underway now, with completion next month, and our complimentary daily taxi service continues to be very popular. We look forward to giving you a warm welcome again in October.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We have enjoyed many short breaks and New Years at the Headland. Always a delight! something not to your liking? tell the management, who we have found will do their utmost to put it right, don't go away and whine about it on Trip Advisor, just be fair to a very hard working and pleasant team.
Our first room was not to our liking so we were immediately offered another, the room, beds, pillows and linen were fabulously comfortable and clean, the bathroom, spotless with a really good shower and fittings. The hand wash and gel were fine, good quality and efficient ,really cant see why anyone would need to complain about them rather the silly little bits of soap, but if you want soap just bring your own. The partlial refurb, outdoor furniture, and lavatories in the ballroom were much needed and very successful. The ballroom/bar/entertainment suite does need updating, too many chairs crammed in make it look messy and village hall like not in keeping with this elegant hotel. The food and service as always were impeccable. We were blessed with great weather too so the swimming pool was a bonus. Love staying at The Headland. our favourite short break hotel.

1  Thank dancingqueendorset2
Toby D, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

We are very appreciative of your valuable feedback, and are extremely pleased you enjoy your stays with us so much.
Yes, we do strive to rectify any issues reported to us so that our guests can enjoy their stay, depart happy and return to us, which an extremely high percentage do.
The improvements you mention are on-going, with minimal disruption to our guests a priority.
We hope you will fit in another break with us soon, and look forward to seeing you again then.