“Expectations”
Review of Inglewood Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Inglewood Hotel
Ranked #80 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Sleaford, United Kingdom
“Expectations”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

A group of 10 old friends, we visited this hotel as part of a bus tour. The hotel is situated in a lovely spot, it is a bit tired and dated, but is clean and the staff very welcoming. Manageress Sue, Geoff and waiters Philip and Michael tried very hard to keep everyone happy. The food was plentiful and tasty, the entertainment on both nights we were there was excellent. Considering the very cheap price of the package, it is excellent value for money. I know it gets mixed reviews, but can only say to that "if you want modern and five star - PAY FOR IT!"

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank LesleyF50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I planned to spend 5 days at the INGLEWOOD having booked through Harry Shaw.
Returned home the next day because the whole experience turned out to be a disaster.
Very run down building, mould on bathroom ceiling, food hardly any choice and
tasteless. Lounge badly in need of decorating and glass on floor of terrace.
I could not have stayed to experience another sleepless night. Could not brush my
teeth because hot water coming from both basin taps.

Room Tip: Better to overlook the garden.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank applepie2013

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Oldbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I feel other reviews are wanting the Ritz facilities for budget prices. Yes as per the other reviews the place desperately needs renovation, painting, new bathrooms, new furniture, TV's and a thorough spring clean. But you get what you really need. Crisp clean white sheets on comfortable beds - helpful friendly staff & best of all the food is good and you get proper portions. The home made soup was really nice and the lemon pie was yummy. I stayed here with my mom and our twin room wasn't ready when we arrived so they gave us a larger one rather than make us wait (room 21). Yes it faces the road but with the window closed at night we didn't find the road noise a problem at all. The hotel has been sold to a hotel owner over the road. I would like to visit again in 12 months or so to see what has been done to the place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Karen-Oldbury
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The first impression is not good as the hotel for some reason is painted a horrible shade of pink. However the lady on reception was efficient and gave clear instructions to our room which as requested was on the ground floor due to my ankle injury. The room was very small but the bedding was clean and crisp and the bathroom was clean. Throughout our 2 night stay there was always plenty of hot water.

There was a choice of 3 items for each course on the evening menu. The food was excellent and the service was the same. Breakfast was also excellent.

If the new owner spends some money on a refurbishment this will be a lovely place to stay as the location is ideal.

Take the ferry over to Brixham. It is a lovely little place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aileenBucks
wirral
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Arrived on Monday 2nd September. We were massively held up en-route due to a bad accident on the M5 and then a further hour and halfs hold up to get through Bristol. The dining room staff stayed behind to make sure we got a hot meal on arrival, so big brownie points for that.

I was apprehensive about going there especially after reading some of the other reviews on here, but to be honest it was not as bad as some have made out. Yes it is in administration and could badly do with updating/decorating/maintainance and a good scrub out in some parts but on the whole I have stayed in worse!
The staff were lovely, always helpful especially as we travelled with our 90 year old mother-in-law. Big shout out to Jo-Jo, who seemed to wear several hats, from restaurant manager, chambermaid, cleaner and bar steward. Lovely girl and yes Jo-Jo, if you read this we all know about "Nemo". ha ha.

Our waiter for meals Michael was fabulous too, nothing was too much bother, even liaising with the kitchen to make sure we ate, when we didn't like what was on the menu that evening,
Another of the waiters was our entertainment. His name was Phil but we nick-named him Manuel or Jethro. He could do the sprint to the kitchen for our dinners in 4 seconds flat. We timed him.
Meals were prompt and well presented, silver service but wish there was the option of "hot" toast for breakfast.

Yes I would go back again, would love to see what a new buyer does with the place, face-lift wise. Entertainment every night but needs to be better aimed at the "older" residents. How many 60+s know Chris Rea's Road to Hell??? G&T were the best act, purely for the comedy value but she can really sing.
Well located, 5 minutes walk downhill to the white bridge and you're on the prom.
I stayed in a twin room (11) but it was small .. in through the door but nearly fell over the other bed to get to mine. TV picture kept freezing and only 2 channels.

Room Tip: Don;t take a room which windows onto the main road... very noisy all night long and the bin wagon ar...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank lorna98663
nottingham
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Having just returned from this hotel after a 7 day break with my husband i would like to add our point of view. I will start with the positives which are . Good location with just a few minutes walk to the sea front. Good staff with special thanks to Phil ( with one l ) :) What a treasure he was. Nothing was too much trouble. He always had a smile on his face and you could have a good laugh with him. The food was excellent,always hot,plenty of choice and you didnt have to wait to be served. I am trying to be positive about my stay at The Inglewood but i am afraid the bad points outweigh the good. Firstly the room we was put in (no39 ) had a hot water pipe running straight through it which was red hot all the time hence the room was very stuffy,we were assured that it wouldnt be on all night but it was. To be fair we was offered another room but that was right at the bottom of the hotel. Secondly our room was right alongside a very busy main road so we coudnt leave the window open at night to let some air in because of the noise. Our room also overlooked the rubbish bins were werent all properly emptied until nearly the end of our stay and rubbish was strewn all around the floor. Also for whatever reason all 4 big plastic bins were picked up and took away at 4.45 in the morning waking us up. :( And last but not least we could only get BBC1 and BBC2 on the tv in the room and 2 days before the end of the holiday all we could get was a frozen picture on the screen and just sound only. To sum up would we stay there again? Maybe if we had a different room. Just one more thing we ended up having to go over the road to another hotel at night as The Inglewood didnt have a very well stocked bar and didnt have what my husband normally drinks. We would sooner have spent our money in our own hotel than take it elswhere. Just one thing to add about cleaning the rooms. The beds werent properly made and one day we left a dirty towel on the bathroom floor that needed changing and when we got back to our room later in the day the towel hadnt been changed and it had been hung back up on the towel rail :(

Room Tip: Unless you dont like a very hot room when it is really warm outside and you are a light sleeper dont...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank camper5nottingham
Stourport on Severn, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I arrived at the hotel as one of about 40 travellers from around Worcestershire having booked via a coach travel company. Officially the stay was for three nights and four days at a total cost of £164 for half board including a £15 single supplement, this I felt was somewhat excessive as my room could only accommodate one single bed anyway.

On arrival at about 15-30 the hotel manageress came on board the coach to welcome everyone, we were told to book in at reception where we would be given the key to our allocated room and our luggage would be brought to us within a few minutes which it was. After a quick wash and brush up I convened to the bar with another guest where a J2O soft drink and a pint of lager cost £5-75.

Evening dinner was served between 18-15 and 19-00 hours, there was a choice of starters including the soup of the day, a choice of a hot meal or a variety of salads, chicken, cheese or ham. There was always a jug of water and a bread roll and butter on each table. The hot meal was accompanied by two stainless steel bowls of vegetables and a gravy boat. On the three occasions I dined there the meals were adequate, the staff were friendly although on the first evening my table was next to the trolley where the waiting staff stacked the dirty crockery and the noise was annoying to the degree the person sitting with me stormed off to another table.

Breakfast was served between 8-30 and 9-15 we both insisted on being seated elsewhere, our wishes were complied with, there was a good variety to select from, I had porridge, followed by full English, (1 egg, 1 bacon 1 tomato, beans and mushrooms) followed by toast and marmalade washed down with a pot of tea although coffee was an option. On balance I could not find fault with the food.

There was live entertainment each night starting with three houses of bingo in which I did not participate followed by a singer, the barman was helpful and polite. Unfortunately the outdoor pool was boarded over and looked a mess as the surrounds were overgrown with weeds, however there is a patio with tables, chairs and about three sun loungers from which the sea is just visible.

My room had a single bed which was adequate, a single wardrobe with hangers and a lopsided door that wouldn't shut, a small chest of drawers, the second with a liberal dusting of talc obviously spilt by the previous occupants, this remained throughout my stay and a bedside table with tea and coffee making equipment. There was also a fan and radio alarm that had not been set.so it flashed non stop.

The bathroom was again adequate although the toilet seat was chipped and the non slip mat in the shower cubicle showed sigs of mould underneath. The paint-work throughout was chipped and looked overdue for refurbishment.

In summing up although I have pointed out many of the negative aspects of the hotel and make no mistake it is in urgent need of renovation, I did enjoy my stay there, the staff were always friendly and obliging, The newsagent was over the road and the sea front a two minute walk away although the harbour and town centre took considerably longer to reach by foot. During my stay I heard the hotel had just been sold so perhaps the much needed facelift is imminent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo