“Cheap and cheerful but in need of renovation”
Review of Inglewood Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Inglewood Hotel
Ranked #80 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Stourport on Severn, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful but in need of renovation”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I arrived at the hotel as one of about 40 travellers from around Worcestershire having booked via a coach travel company. Officially the stay was for three nights and four days at a total cost of £164 for half board including a £15 single supplement, this I felt was somewhat excessive as my room could only accommodate one single bed anyway.

On arrival at about 15-30 the hotel manageress came on board the coach to welcome everyone, we were told to book in at reception where we would be given the key to our allocated room and our luggage would be brought to us within a few minutes which it was. After a quick wash and brush up I convened to the bar with another guest where a J2O soft drink and a pint of lager cost £5-75.

Evening dinner was served between 18-15 and 19-00 hours, there was a choice of starters including the soup of the day, a choice of a hot meal or a variety of salads, chicken, cheese or ham. There was always a jug of water and a bread roll and butter on each table. The hot meal was accompanied by two stainless steel bowls of vegetables and a gravy boat. On the three occasions I dined there the meals were adequate, the staff were friendly although on the first evening my table was next to the trolley where the waiting staff stacked the dirty crockery and the noise was annoying to the degree the person sitting with me stormed off to another table.

Breakfast was served between 8-30 and 9-15 we both insisted on being seated elsewhere, our wishes were complied with, there was a good variety to select from, I had porridge, followed by full English, (1 egg, 1 bacon 1 tomato, beans and mushrooms) followed by toast and marmalade washed down with a pot of tea although coffee was an option. On balance I could not find fault with the food.

There was live entertainment each night starting with three houses of bingo in which I did not participate followed by a singer, the barman was helpful and polite. Unfortunately the outdoor pool was boarded over and looked a mess as the surrounds were overgrown with weeds, however there is a patio with tables, chairs and about three sun loungers from which the sea is just visible.

My room had a single bed which was adequate, a single wardrobe with hangers and a lopsided door that wouldn't shut, a small chest of drawers, the second with a liberal dusting of talc obviously spilt by the previous occupants, this remained throughout my stay and a bedside table with tea and coffee making equipment. There was also a fan and radio alarm that had not been set.so it flashed non stop.

The bathroom was again adequate although the toilet seat was chipped and the non slip mat in the shower cubicle showed sigs of mould underneath. The paint-work throughout was chipped and looked overdue for refurbishment.

In summing up although I have pointed out many of the negative aspects of the hotel and make no mistake it is in urgent need of renovation, I did enjoy my stay there, the staff were always friendly and obliging, The newsagent was over the road and the sea front a two minute walk away although the harbour and town centre took considerably longer to reach by foot. During my stay I heard the hotel had just been sold so perhaps the much needed facelift is imminent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Jerry H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Recent visit. Despite poor reports decided to try as was reasonably priced.Hotel in convenient spot. Entertainment every night The food was very good and the dining room staff very friendly and efficient.Their job was made difficult due to the shortage of equipment ie cups plates cutlery teapots etc..Our room was decent, with a balcony that, although in need of repair and new furniture, had a fantastic view.However, the shower room was disgusting. There was mould everywhere in the shower and slime around the taps and plughole in the washbasin.We know this hotel has recently been taken over and if the new owner makes the necessary improvements it will be an excellent hotel.Unfortunately, in it's present state I would be reluctant to recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid room 53. Balcony with good view, shame about the room.
5 Thank briel2906

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

this hotel REALLY COULD be a real gem if the new owners spend some money on it, tart it up, sort out the gardens, either fix the pool or fill it in and put a play area there or even extend the carpark, cos right now its an eye sore as is, put some flower baskets up, pick up the litter...fix the bin store area they stink...`1st impressions are ever lasting these little things wont cost the earth to rectify.
Rooms are very dated and the matresses are the worse I have slept on, you can feel every spring, next time I go ill take a memory foam bed topper with me.......yes I did say next time.........cos all these things aside the staff are wonderful, they will do anything for you if you ask, from providing extra pillows to extra toast and even local advise, the food is good and location is superb, close to the sea and a flat walk over to the marina and town.
I stayed 3 nights and I don't know if its the bed or the laughing that is making me ache.the most. The best things about this hotel is defo the location and its staff, keep up the good work guys :D for the price you cant expect the ritz ....I'll be back and I hope to see some improvments from the new owners :D

Room Tip: room 49 ground floor ...the bins are stored underneath in the drive, they some times stink so its di...
1 Thank Dawn S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Location of hotel is great but everything else is disgusting!! The rooms were filthy and didn't look as if they had been cleaned for months, there were spiders webs everywhere in the room and the dust was thick on ledges and lamp shades. The chairs in the bar area are meant to grey but they are black, the restaurant staff do a great job and the food was good but the staff at reception need to go on a customer service course as they are just rude!!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank cja1971
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

very disappointing 3 day stay with Harry Shaw. No pool - terrace covered in weeds .
felt sorry for entertainer as stage very small and backdrop dirty curtain with rips.
Room was small and a very small portable t v which broke down first night.
We were facing side of hotel and found it very noisy. Couldnt sleep with window open.
Meals were average.

Room Tip: dont take swimming trunks as no pool
2 Thank beverleytr7
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Never again . First impression expecting sun terrace with stunning views. lots of cigarette knubs and leaves on dirty terrace, Bird sh..on windows. Stunning view of concreted over swimming pool with weeds growing out of it . Small glimpse of sea through trees and .bushes. Room so small we had to keep standing to let each other pass.Bathroom blue bath and sink with white toilet. Mould on shower curtain and at side of bath and toilet. Paper coming off ceiling. Mattress cheap and uncomfortable. Could not wait to get home to my nice home.

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

From the moment I rang Kirsty in the Inglewood the staff have been fantastic. I was booking 12 rooms for a stag party and I am sure the staff had their concerns with 24 men turning up. With ages ranging from 17-62 we had a good size party. The staff behind the bar were fantastic, the ladies who run reception again were excellent. The breakfast was lovely and again staff very helpful and good fun.

If you want a 5* hotel then ths is not for you. However the Inglewood is great value for money, with great staff.

Thank you again for your hospitality and welcoming attitude.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends