“Excellent mix of English and Indian food”
Review of Lavani - CLOSED

Lavani
Cuisines: Indian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Experience the uncomprehendingly mysterious power of culinary India at Lavani.With two prestigious awards in its first year of trading (AAA Award Of Excellence & Taste of the West-Gold Award), Lavani is a speciality Indian restaurant with an accent of regional Indian and Anglo-Indian cuisine for the global palate.Light,modern and sophisticated dishes that pay homage to the power of culinary India,defines Lavani. Situated only a short walk away from Kents Cavern, English Riviera's most beautiful coves (Meadfoot and Ansteys) and the famous South West Coastal Path we pride ourselves on the quality of service and quality of our ingredients.• Mild, subtle and delicate Flavours of India• Cookery Demo and Dinner Evenings• Imaginative Indian cocktail and Indian wines• 20% Discount Senior citizens card• 15% Discount Hospitality Card• Complimentary Birthday Package• Winter Warmer Menu• Live Music Evenings•LAVANI DIY Spice Packs & Marinades. Party Menu. We are delightful in many ways. While for some it is one of the finest speciality Indian restaurants, to others it is an amazing English Riviera retreat. And there are those that love it for its rose water and saffron marinated walls studded with themed art, red chilli flavoured chairs, buttermilk swish linen and its friendly family feel. Imaginative cuisine, undeniably happening ambience, the flavours, the aroma, the live cooking sounds and the artistic display, presented with the Lavani signature of hospitality. All come together in perfect harmony in an exciting new avatar! Our Cuisine: Careful blending of genuine Indian cooking traditions with high quality, high-end British high in protein, low in fat ingredients not often found in Indian cuisine such as scallops,wild boar,goat,lobster,mutton,wood pigeon,venison,caviar,quail, calf's liver,ostrich and more creates unique and distinct dishes.We take away the heaviness usually akin to Indian dishes and we're focusing on minimising the usage of oil and fat.The extremely comprehensive menu of dishes demonstrates how ancient wisdom and regional traditional cooking styles have been blended with British traditions evolving to become what we get on our plates today.Dig in! Be thrilled! Let the spirit of Lavani enliven you!
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We arrived at 6:30 for our meal which I think was 1 hour 30 mins too early as the restaurant didn't get busy until 8 and I prefer some atmosphere and background noise. Upon arrival we were greeted by the owner who showed us to the window seats, for 4 of us there was plenty of space and had a nice view out side and of the restaurant. On seating were were given the wine list and ordered a few beers and a bottle of the red Indian Shiraz which is lovely and I'd recommend.

The Food menu is completely different from your standard Indian curry house, no where is there a Madras or Korma. Instead, the owner informed us, he prefers we read about the ingredients and the flavours. Personally I found the menu overwhelming but the owner was very very helpful and talked me through all the items and helped me make a decision.
I ended up with the Pigeon Breast and Salmon, both were fantastic. The presentation is unlike any other Indian in Devon that I've been to, the flavours were top notch with their subtle blend of spices and the meat was tender and juicy.

Overall I had a great time, so did the rest of my family and I will be back again soon.

5  Thank Andymayhem

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We were invited by a couple of friends for a "different" Indian meal just last night. Having cooked a three course Indian meal the night before so I was "in the zone" and looked forward to it. On arrival we were met by the very, very friendly owner. Not surprising really as we were the only people there apart from a couple. If I were to make an early judgement I would have said that even at this stage they were trying way too hard.
The decoration is very bright white and brightly lit too with some lovely prints on the walls. The background music was frankly appalling, a mixed tape of awful music. The four of us were ushered into one of the window seats, barely big enough for four, in a virtually empty restaurant. To be honest it was pretty cramped and we had to put some glasses etc. onto the window cill.
We were then brought a drinks menu without the main menu so it was a little tricky to judge the match between food and drink. We went for a couple of orange juices, a couple of Cobra beers, a bottle of Sula (Indian) Sauvignon Blanc. The Sula isn't much like a proper Sauvignon Blanc but is a tolerable accompaniement if pricey for its quality. It was a bit tricky getting a jug of water & even trickier getting it on a very crowded table.
We ordered four different starters and four main courses from the rather overblown menu. I'll only mention that the tiny poppadums were ok but the three relishes / pickles were very thin and the tomato pickle lached spice /seasoning. The little pillows with caviar that I had were a poor texture and had little flavour. My mixed seafood was really quite nice with a selection of small pieces of fish, scallop pieces and small mussels along with stir fried vegetables. The rice was bland and could have used some white cardomom and cinnamon. My wife's four large prawns from the Tandoor were very over-cooked although to be fair when I complained they did take them off the bill. Only my wife had a sweet, a pre-prepared, chilled mangoe sorbet which, although it looked very bland, in contrast to a couple of the other over-dressed plates, was well flavoured.
To improve they could reduce the lighting level a little, change the appalling music to something a little more ambient, present drinks and main menu together, reduce the number of items on the menu and change it to a simpler presentation, be attentive without hovering constantly (timing is important for a good waiter) and never ask whether you can take a photograph to put it on Facebook! Bizarre, but they could improve quite quickly. The food's ok without being great although it is very pretentious and the food is out-classed by a number of Indian and Oriental restaurants in the area. They set an expectation of something very special without delivering at a cost that is too high for the content.

8  Thank Pierreaulit
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Top restaurant for miles and miles around......beautiful setting, very attractive decor, very very clean overall with a warm friendly, attentive welcome. My friend and I had a delicious lunch here - the food was excellent and I can't wait to go back there again to have dinner!

5  Thank Lisa186260
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Utterly amazing!!!
This is the Indian restaurant which I have been searching.
The meat and fish is locally sourced, it's delicate, unique and totally delicious.

I spent ages trying to decide what to order as the menu is so tantalising. I eventually went for the Masala Dosai for starters- potato pancake. Amazing and, the only authentic one which I've had outside of Southern India.
I had succulent King Prawns in a beautiful sauce for my main. I can't wait to go back and work my way through the menu.
My Dad isn't a fan of Indian food and he was totally blown away by it. It's so so gorgeous.
I reckon once word gets out, this place is going to be jam packed every night.
Lush!!

7  Thank JoanneLebon
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We dined here last night and had a wonderful meal. The restaurant was a little difficult to find as most people and taxi drivers think of this being an Italian Restaurant as it was until 3 months ago.

On entering the restaurant two other tables occupied, typical for 7.30 on a quiet Tuesday evening, the host and front man showed us to table and then to be honest was over the top in explaining the virtues ,expectations and future aspirations of his restaurant with himself and his wife from Kerala.

Food was excellent and could not be faulted, there was a slight issue with the bill though as we had attended using my 'Tastecard' discount which was advertised at 50% yet the bill only showed a £21 discount on a £95 bill!!! On questioning it the host said he had contacted Tastecard that morning to change it from 50% to 2for1!!! all a little unbelievable really

Buyers and diner beware!!.

Would I go again? Yes if n the area if only to see if the service and food are the same or if it is a new horse wonder?

4  Thank southerncruiser4