“In The Top Restaurants In the World”
Review of Lavani - CLOSED

Lavani
Cuisines: Indian, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Experience the uncomprehendingly mysterious power of culinary India at Lavani.With two prestigious awards in its first year of trading (AAA Award Of Excellence & Taste of the West-Gold Award), Lavani is a speciality Indian restaurant with an accent of regional Indian and Anglo-Indian cuisine for the global palate.Light,modern and sophisticated dishes that pay homage to the power of culinary India,defines Lavani. Situated only a short walk away from Kents Cavern, English Riviera's most beautiful coves (Meadfoot and Ansteys) and the famous South West Coastal Path we pride ourselves on the quality of service and quality of our ingredients.• Mild, subtle and delicate Flavours of India• Cookery Demo and Dinner Evenings• Imaginative Indian cocktail and Indian wines• 20% Discount Senior citizens card• 15% Discount Hospitality Card• Complimentary Birthday Package• Winter Warmer Menu• Live Music Evenings•LAVANI DIY Spice Packs & Marinades. Party Menu. We are delightful in many ways. While for some it is one of the finest speciality Indian restaurants, to others it is an amazing English Riviera retreat. And there are those that love it for its rose water and saffron marinated walls studded with themed art, red chilli flavoured chairs, buttermilk swish linen and its friendly family feel. Imaginative cuisine, undeniably happening ambience, the flavours, the aroma, the live cooking sounds and the artistic display, presented with the Lavani signature of hospitality. All come together in perfect harmony in an exciting new avatar! Our Cuisine: Careful blending of genuine Indian cooking traditions with high quality, high-end British high in protein, low in fat ingredients not often found in Indian cuisine such as scallops,wild boar,goat,lobster,mutton,wood pigeon,venison,caviar,quail, calf's liver,ostrich and more creates unique and distinct dishes.We take away the heaviness usually akin to Indian dishes and we're focusing on minimising the usage of oil and fat.The extremely comprehensive menu of dishes demonstrates how ancient wisdom and regional traditional cooking styles have been blended with British traditions evolving to become what we get on our plates today.Dig in! Be thrilled! Let the spirit of Lavani enliven you!
Torquay
“In The Top Restaurants In the World”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'm real foodie and it takes something quite special for me to write a review. The meals I've had here are in the top 10 meals I've eaten around the world. Cooked with love presentation and prefect amount of flavor and balance seriously yummy.
I hope you enjoy be well Tony Taylor

6 Thank Tony T

Torquay, United Kingdom
“An Indian Indian”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

If you want to blast your brains with a Chicken Jalfrezi this is not the restaurant for you. The menu is sophisticated, thoughtful and imaginative. It certainly does not follow the Bangladeshi stereotype and "Balti" is mercifully absent. The emphasis is on the subtle blending of flavours and textures together with the use of locally-sourced produce. The owners clearly love the dishes they re-create from their home regions and have the perspicacity to realise that some diners appreciate quality, individuality and originality.

6 Thank BarrieS22
“Indian food but not as we know it.”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

A new experience for my wife and I, proper Indian gormet style food in Torquay. The menu is a decent size and all the ingredients locally sourced. The quality of the food was excellent and the service swift and attentive. Couldn't fault it and will be back. The only minor gripe would be that the wine list seemed pricey to us but overall very good all round.

6 Thank DaveSwede
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Great meal”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went to Lavani for the first time tonight. I went with three friends, we all had different dishes. All meals were fantastic, an Indian restaurant with a difference, the menu is extensive with lots of fish as well as meat and vegetarian dishes. The owners are really friendly, helpful and ready to discuss all the options. This isn't your usual Indian restaurant -no biryani, jalfrezi, korma masala etc but lovely aromatic dishes with a difference, very attractively plated and so so tasty. I definitely recommend this place and I will be back again as soon as possible

6 Thank Valerie N
London, United Kingdom
“What a great find...........”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I choose this restaurant as we were in the area for the weekend for my daughters birthday and read some reviews about it on trip advisor on my iphone. I was not wrong.Our family and friends had a wonderful meal at this restaurant this Saturday.This has been an unforgettable evening especially for my daughter.The complimentary birthday cake and sparklers that came out in the end even without us requesting for it made her Birthday ever so special. The host and his wife who is the chef seems to be very passionate about the food and the business and explained to all of us the different regions and origin of the dishes.The menu had dishes never seen before.The meal at Lavani brought back memories of the long lost flavours of home cooking.I tried the Shrimp coconut fry which was the Chefs innovation of the day.Other had Tandoor ostirch, kingprawn vermicile,scallops,wood pigeon, calf liver,chicken pakora and dosaai for starters.All the starters were very well presented and tasted very fresh. The sauces and the crispy salads that accompanied were very tasty too. I had the Lamb shank as my main and it was out of this world. Others has brixham crab cake which was the Creation of the day,venison,tenderloin of pork , king fish, ocean prawns, anglo Indian chicken and lavani platter. Presentation was excellent and so were the flavours.Very subtle and the king fish which my wife had was delicately flavoured and very tasty. Main courses came with breads and vegetables and rice which I thought was good value. The free soup after the starters was a great touch.I was amazed to find such an exquisite Indian restaurant in Devon. Although I waited a bit longer for the mains to arrive I feel it was worth the wait considering how busy the restaurant was.The place is spotlessly clean and the minimal décor is apt for the fine cuisines served.I looked around and it was quite noisy yet the ambience very comfortable. I would definitely class it as fine dining Nouvelle Indian cuisines at par with some of the top Indian restaurants in London and would recommend it to all who loves India and its rich heritage.

6 Thank sidhi a