“Pool and facilities very good, restaurant service poor”

Riviera International Centre
Kingsteignton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Pool and facilities very good, restaurant service poor”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We went for the dip and dine option as it was my daughter's 10th birthday. Went with grandparents and really enjoyed the swim. Pool is really warm and the waves are great fun.
The dip and dine option is good value, but wasn't suitable for us on the day.
After we had eaten, I asked the staff on attendance at the bar if I could light my daughter's birthday cake and present it to her. Their reply was quite rude and I was really quite shocked... they said that "on this occasion we could do this, but it is against health and safety and we should only bring a cake if we had prebooked a birthday party and that we would find other places would say the same". We hadn't booked a birthday party because we were going along with grandparents for a family meal and swim, which is what my daughter wanted. We have had family meals at many other places and always brought a birthday cake along. Most of the time the staff have joined in with the celebrations! My family and I were quite taken aback by their response and it put a damper on the day. I have told my work colleagues and other friends and they cannot believe it either! I had sent an email to the English Riviera Centre for the attention of the General Manager to let them know but they haven't even had the courtesy to reply.

Visited November 2013
RivieraCentre, Public Relations Manager at Riviera International Centre, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Customer

Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry for the delay in getting back to you, this comment must have slipped through our net and we have also instructed our IT department to investigate why we have no record of the email that you sent to us back in November.

I am sorry to hear on this occasion you had a mixed experience at the Riviera Centre. Firstly I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our pool and I will pass on your comments to our Pool Manager and her team. In regards to your experience in the Bay Brasserie - we have consulted with our Brasserie team and your comment has highlighted a training issue that we were not aware of. This has since been addressed and our staff are now aware that we allow people to bring in birthday cakes that are not part of a birthday party package.
Once again please accept my sincere apologies and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Riviera Centre sometime soon.

London, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great fun for family with kids”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The riviera centre has a great indoor swimming facility great for family visit. The pool has slides and shower fountains for small and big kids. The pool has waves to make it more enjoyable for the swimmers. Changing and bathroom facilities are cleanly maintained with the centres restaurant for convenience. The price is reasonable with parking charge being credited to the entrance fee which is great! Staff are nice and friendly and place is easy to find if your a visitor in Torquay. You can enjoy a stroll along the promenade after your swimming and lots of places to eat or have a drink after.great holiday we spent all in all!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Kennette Marie L
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Worth every penny”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We paid £7 each to use pool steam room sauna and Jacuzzi Def worth it just what we needed will be back

Visited August 2013
1 Thank mymadfamily
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Water fun”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Just what we were looking for it had the pool with slides and a wave machine. Would go again great value for money

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Natalie P
Widnes, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Ideal for an overcast day!!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Took our 7 month old daughter and she loved the wave pool. Waves are every half an hour and there is a good children's section in there too. The girl on the desk was friendly and brought our pram through to the pool area which was handy. The changing rooms are nice and clean and provide good baby changing facilities. The water was quite cool though.
Was not very busy which was ideal can imagine it to be manic when its the school holidays and the weather isn't great.

Visited June 2013