“Jam Night - Monday”

Torquay, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Jam Night - Monday”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Can I say what a fantastic night me and friends had at the Jam night last night. A real eclectic mix of music styles and ages, couldn't stop slapping my knees and tapping my feet all night. A brilliant night, thanks to all the musicians and singers who performed, some amazing vocals and musicians, would definitely recommend it ! x

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Michelleg100

Torquay, United Kingdom
“sower grapes?? on the jam night ?”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

as the host os said night I am proud to host as the atmosphere is lovely. and we get such talent make's the job a pleasure to do .... i supply the P.A ... vocal Mic's an electric guitar , acoustic guitar , Bass and percussion so caters for 99% of players .....I was saddened to see the last poster give such a bad rep and i assume its the harmonica player that got rather disgruntled that i was willing to 'Lend' one of my harmonics But ... i would never share a tooth brush with a complete stranger so why one of my "gob irons" .... ( i only gave a rate of 4 as 5 would just be big headed lol ) .... take care see you soon :)

2 Thank Syharp
“Open mic. Dont bother”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Terrible way to run an open mic. In fact should be prosecuted for calling in such. If you new dont bother.
Must be management orders to keep anyone new waiting 3hours to get up so they will purchase more drinks. What kind of band cant play songs with the chords in front of them? Not obscure songs songs every person with ears knows? Then to be promised several times "you on in a minute"

My 6yr old son can play G Am and C
If your face dont fit here dont bother.
As a professional singer i was disturbed how badly run it was.
How the band as above average as they were (and not busy) couldnt /wouldnt let anyone up who theyd pre judged.
I ask you whos ever heard of an open mic band who cant play 3 chords?
Dont go you not welcome here.

Visited July 2013
Nikki B, Owner at The Devon Arms, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Fatheadshubby,

I am very disappointed to hear of your bad experience here in our venue on Open Mic night. May I make a point of letting you know that this is the first complaint that we have had with regards to our Jam night, hence why I feel the need to reply to you and also to other potential customers that may read your review.

Simon our Jam night host is very professional with his approach towards ensuring people have an allotted time slot during the evening in which to showcase their talents. No-one is expected to wait 3 hours for a slot and this has NEVER happened, dependant on what time you arrive at the venue and how many other people have booked in will determine what time you go on.

The House band which kick off the evening are very well respected in Torquay and are welcomed to every Jam night in the Bay. Its very disappointing that you should feel the need to discredit other musicians. The essence of a jam night is for all abilities!

As for Management orders I am the Owner and have never instructed Simon to make people wait 3 hours so that I can make money on drink purchases that is not what Jam night is here for.

Lastly everyone is welcome in our Pub, and we look forward to seeing more and more new talent arrive on our Jam night!! for others reading please do not let this deter you we promise we don't bite!! look at our other Jam night reviews and then make your mind up!! x
Aberdeen
“Monday night open mic night!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Had a recent 3 night stay in Torquay and went for meal here early on the Monday evening. The food, steak and kidney pie and chicken pie, was basic (not home made) but was well presented. The reception from the landlord was excellent and he recommended coming back later in the evening for the open mic night. We returned later and were treated to a wonderful evenings entertainment, with some fantastic music and a brilliant atmoshpere. If only we had a place like this at home, what a great pub!!

1 Thank KeefyAberdeen
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Torquay night life”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

A must visit Pub, recommend the Thursday Jazz night. Great Atmosphere and welcoming by the owners.

1 Thank Larraine_13