“Very poor Christmas party!”
Review of Living Coasts

Living Coasts
Ranked #15 of 39 things to do in Torquay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Living Coasts, an all weather attraction, located on Torquay seafront in South Devon, where there’s plenty to see and do: mingle with the playful penguins, get up close to the otters, octopus and seals, and much more. Visit Penguin Beach to walk with the African and macaroni penguins and catch our entertaining feeding time talks.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

We had our works Christmas party here on Friday and to be honest it was the worst meal I have had. It was a carvery, we were the second to last table to go up and get it. By the time the last 2 people in our group got to be served, they ran out of meats. We were told they would get some more. After about 5 minutes a portion of brown meat was brought out in a small dish covered in gravy. When I started eating it the meat was tepid and the vegetables cold. I called the waitress and told her the meat was tasteless and the meal cold. I asked her why I was served brown meat only but she told me it was turkey breast? I disagreed. She came back and said that chef said the breast meat was brown because it was a free range Turkey! I refused to eat the meal.
When the dessert came, Eton Mess, there was not a trace of Meringue anywhere in it, it was just cream. Two courses £20, not good value
There was not enough bar staff to serve people when we arrived but at least the Disco was good.
All in all a dissapointing evening. A great visitor attraction it may be, however catering for large numbers is not their strong point

George B, Manager at Living Coasts, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2014

Dear orthotech,
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your work’s Christmas party, held at Living Coasts.
I have spoken with one of my colleagues about the incident involving yourself and as I understand it the Functions Manager explained to you at the time that the turkey was free range and that the functions team did everything in their power to make your meal as pleasurable as possible. Our restaurant is run to a very high standard and is well known for serving organic and locally sourced food.
We had the right amount of staff on duty that evening, however I am sorry that you feel you did not think there were enough bar staff to serve people when you arrived. The functions team are used to catering for large numbers, for example we cater for weddings throughout the year, and we always receive positive feedback.
Even though all the other people present enjoyed their meal it is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your own. I am very sorry this was the case. We endeavour to maintain a very high standard, whether it is someone visiting the attraction or someone visiting the restaurant.
Warm regards,
George.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,359)
All reviews
in 32 reviews
"great for kids"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed December 3, 2014 via mobile

I am not one if these people who object to zoos far from it and with living coasts the concept is great , sadly I personally think the execution is very poor , the amount of surface space the seals have for example is tiny and after taking my visitor around felt slightly ashamed somehow, for it to work for me it would have to be much bigger, giving the birds and mammals much more room.
I won't be back unless major changes are made

LivingCoastsManager, Manager at Living Coasts, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2014

Thank you for visiting us at Living coasts. I see from your review you have some concerns regarding the seal and bird enclosures. The seals actually have the use of 3 pools, two that are on show to the public and one that is off show. Most of the time they have the freedom to go between all three pools as and when they want to. The seal pools are the largest on site at 504 cubic metres.
In regards to our free flying birds, Living Coasts has an area of 50,000 metres and the highest point of the aviary reaches 19 metres. This gives the birds 1.8 million cubic feet of flying space. Our birds do not show any evidence of wanderlust and generally only fly further afield to find food or materials to build their nests. This is all provided for them at Living Coasts. We also have a very high success rate with our breeding programmes. This is generally a sign that the animals are content within their environment as quite often unhappy animals will not breed.
As a conservation charity it is always our top priority to make sure our animals live in the best environment possible and are looked after by a fully qualified and experienced team of keepers.

Reviewed December 3, 2014

As I live a short distance from here i have visited several times. My most recent visit was with my 4 yr old niece.Thoroughly enjoyed by all, it was easily accessible with my mobility aid.

Reviewed November 28, 2014

We loved it here. The penguins and ducks come and greet you as you walk around and you can get very close up to the fur seals, otters and many varieties of birds that live here.
It is very informative and for children it's great with lots of interactive stuff going on and also lots of activities for them to do.
I would thoroughly reccomend the Living Coast

See more reviews
Reviewed November 25, 2014

you can get around here within 20 minutes. everywhere seems neglected and the staff must be on a below minimum wage, as their input is at a minimum to say the least.

LivingCoastsManager, Manager at Living Coasts, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2014

I'm sorry to hear that your visit only lasted 20 minutes. According to our in house survey the average visit time is 2 to 3 hours with many visitors staying longer. Many customers take advantage of our feeding/talk times that take place throughout the day. The talks generally keep visitors on site for much longer as each one usually lasts between 10 and 15 minutes. Living Coasts has over 50 species including seals, otters, numerous birds including two breeds of Penguin, as well as 22 types of fish and crustacean. As a conservation charity we strive to maintain our highest zoo licencing standards and keep the environment on site as natural as possible for the animals.