“Great attraction”

Living Coasts
Ranked #9 of 62 things to do in Torquay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Living Coasts, an all weather attraction, located on Torquay seafront in South Devon, where there’s plenty to see and do: mingle with the playful penguins, get up close to the otters, octopus and seals, and much more. Visit Penguin Beach to walk with the African and macaroni penguins and catch our entertaining feeding time talks.
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is a great attraction and visit at least once a month, there are a few reviews saying you can quick step around this attraction in 30 minutes, I can only talk from experience that if take your time and enjoy each section then it does take a good few hours
There is feeding going on at different times, there is also regular competitions to get the children to view different items on the way around and complete an entry form, a lovely cafe and a small play area where the children can colour in and do craft work. I would say this is a great attraction and the building was originally coral island and was closed for many years so the trust have done a great job of the place and turned it into a very informative attraction, give it a go and at least you know the money that is charged at the door goes back into the upkeep of the animals and staff salaries and if we didn't have these places most of us would not see these types of animals up close and personal

2  Thank Jarrod H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,072)

Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Admissions Clerk was very unwelcoming and the attraction looked like a zoo; which it is really. Birds, a family of small Otters, three sleeping seals and some Penguins. Feed time at 2.30pm was a joke as most people couldn't see so we left thinking we should have saved our money for a good meal instead. Unless you have really young children who will be facinated by the place, it is not that 'funtastic'.

LivingCoastsManager, Manager at Living Coasts, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for your recent review. I apologise that you were not given a very warm welcome on your visit to Living Coasts. Customer service is extremely important to us and we ensure that all our staff receive regular training in this. We also have mystery shopper visits to measure customer service levels and regularly receive positive comments so I am very sorry that the member of staff who served you did not meet our usual high standards of customer service. The attraction is marketed as a zoo and aquarium on both our website and all literature so unsurprisingly does look like a zoo. We currently have over 50 species at Living Coasts including seals, otters, penguins & numerous other birds and 22 types of fish and crustacea including starfish, seahorses, lobster & octopus in the aquarium section. I am sorry you were disappointed that you could not see anything at the 2.30pm Penguin feed. This is our most popular talk of the day and can get incredibly busy and the majority of our visitors feel these talks and feeds enhance their visit. Our survey results for October showed that 90% of visitors of varying ages enjoyed their visit which we are always endeavouring to improve.

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I went here a year ago or so, it was an okay day out, it looks huge from the outside but didn't really take long to walk around the whole thing! They should of kept it all at paignton zoo instead to be honest!

1  Thank Hannah-abby90
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Wonderfully located on the rocks ( the cafe's a great place for lunch ). Small but charming. Try to time it so you see the feedings, especially the Penguins - charming and very funny, especially when they played football. A bit overpriced but what isn't when it comes to a Family of Four ?

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I visited this attraction on Monday 21st October 2013 and spent a good few hrs at this place.The Way the Living Coasts Attraction has been designed as well as planned out is a credit to who ever has designed it.
You spend as others have said,half your time inside the attraction and the other time outside,despite when i happened to visit when it rained,and the penguins still came out to greet us just before they got feed i might add,which to me was a wonderful experience and one which i will treasure for a long time to come.
I still saw a lot of interesting things about the various animals who live here.I just wish i had more time to spend at this place.As time has a habit of disappearing i am afraid.
The Living Costs staff who i would say come across very polite,helpful and professional, and work very tirelessly i might add looking after the various Sea Animals like the Penguins,Sea Lions etc.
I really enjoyed listening to the various talks and talking pictures of the Penguins and other Sea Animals that live here.The entrance fee was very reasonable and the TradeWinds(Gift)shop at The Living Costs Attraction was also reasonable price wise as well.I actually went back again later on in the week because i was staying in Torquay,so i decided to check out the Living Coasts Coffee shop and buy some more gifts in the gift shop.
I will have to say that even the Coffee shop is also reasonable price as well.I will defiantly be returning to Living Coasts in the near future

1  Thank tonybullo