“Burlington Hotel”
Review of Hotel Burlington

Hotel Burlington
Ranked #83 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Was due to stay 3 nights but left after 2. Had gone with my sister,mum and kids for a birthday celebration. On arrival hotel was freezing as it had been empty all week and was being opened for weekend to coach trips. The owner put the heating on as coaches arrived resulting in everyone in coats and scarves throughout dinner and evening entertainment , which by the way was absolutely average.
We had two family rooms. There was one in the basement which was the pits. The sink was in the bedroom and the shower was like a dark hole in the wall which my mum refused to get into. The room was perishing all nite and despite having 2 quilts on the bed my poor mum was frozen . She was moved the next day to a slightly better room. My room was on the first floor it had 3 single beds. The shower was cold and there was nowhere to hang clothes as the hook had come off the door, and nowhere to put your soap or shampoo whilst having a cold shower.
Food absolutely average. Hotel situated quite a walk from Torquay with no pubs or restaurants nearby. Cleanliness very poor with lots of cobwebs , just don't look up. Bar was not always open and basic. No food available other than at breakfast or dinner. Only one positive was clean sheets and towels.
The break was cheap I know but I expected to be warm, have a nice shower and for it to be clean but felt so dirty, cold and miserable I had to return a day early. I honestly feel that leisuretime should not send people to this god forsaken hotel. I am not normally a moaner but if you have certain standards please do no visit this hotel.

Room Tip: Experienced 3 rooms all of which poor.
8  Thank susan2901

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed here from 22nd March for 2 nights
yes i agree with most posts, it is only a 2 star
hotel, it is very dated, our room was small,
the tv was so old it did not have remote at all,
there was a kettle and tea/coffee,
bathroom was very large, plenty towels,
the bed was very uncomfortable and drastically noisy,
every time i turned over i thought i would wake
up the whole hotel and it was close to sounding
like it would break.
They are Very Strict on the meal times
8.30 for breakfast and 6.30 for dinner Be Warned,
saying that we had Sue for our waitress she was superb
can't fault her, lovely lady, nothing to much trouble,
well done Sue you are an asset to the hotel.
We found the food to be very nice,
not massive amount, but enough,
We were however very annoyed that the swimming pool
was not working as we booked this hotel on the understanding that
it was, so that was a let down.
The hotel is on a steep hill so for anyone with mobility problems
might find it a trek to go up and down to the sea front.
there is not a lift as previous people have mentioned the same.
And as for the entertainment we only watched saturday night
and because we kept to ourselves was made uncomfortable
by the so called comedian/singer Chris for not completely joining in,
swaying to his tunes i suppose,
not sure if it was part of his act or if it was just us he was
reffering to... whatever....
No we would not go back to this hotel...

comedian

Room Tip: If you are fit try the attic room 44 distant sea views, has got fire escape door, huge bathroom...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BEVERLEY L
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed here from the 18th March until 22nd March.After reading other reviews I was a bit wary about staying here.On arrival,It was a bit hectic,with only the girl on reception,but it was okay.We had a room on the first floor, was quite small but it was okay,the bathroom was very small,with only a bath,NO shower,which I find so unusual in this day and age,but we managed.The room was clean,as was the bedding and the towels.The window frames were dirty and could have done with a good clean,but again that was not a major issue.The food as medioco,but okay,had a small choice,but actually got a bit better as the week wore on,the breakfasts were very good with quite a good choice.The waitress,name of Sam,was a charming girl and nothing was to much trouble for her,so pleasent and always asking how we were etc.The only thing I have to say with regret is,there were two girls from Thailand also staying,lovely girls,they came to breakfast one morning about 5 minutes late,and were turned away,which I found quite shocking.I understand the rules,and yes if there were a lot of people being late I could have understood it,it did not give a very good impression of English hospitality.The Hotel has NO lift,and as there are a lot of elderly people staying it must have been very difficult for them,climbing all those stairs.Luckily we had a little help taking the suitcases to room,but upon leaving,there was only about five people knew about leaving your cases outside of room,and that was only because we asked,I feel there should have been an anouncement or a notice put up informing people.The entertainment was fair,but nothing to write home about,except the comedienne on the first night he was excellant..The Bar prices,were very reasonable,and quite a good choice.The hotel is set on quite a steep hill,but there is a bus service into Torquay,there is also a small supermarket just down the road,where if you desire you can buy a newspaper,as these are not supplied in the hotel.The swimming pool not working,and after reading reviews I understand has been that way for a while.It seems such a shame,that these things let the Hotel down,and in these hard times if they were put right,and a few things bought up to standard this Hotel could do well.Upon leaving the Hotel,there was not anyone wishing us goodbye,I have never come across that before.So all in all,it was not to bad at all,on saying that,I think we were lucky with our room,because a few people did have some complaints,and had to be moved,but you will always get some people complain about everything.So anyone planning to stay here,I say expect,what you pay for,a short break at a reasonable price,this is not a 3/4/5 star hotel but is quite okay.There is a lounge with a TV and very comfortable,a small bar area,just off the ballroom,where the entertainment is held every night.Would I stay here here again,well yes I would for a short break,.

Room Tip: The room we had number 34,was small,but clean,the television was tiny and to high up on the wall,p...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed March 19, 2013

we stayed here for a weekend in march 13 and to be quite honest we were put off by the comments on here before we went but we were pleasantly surprised the hotel is a bit dated and the bedrooms a bit small but it was very clean we had multiple choices in the restaurant and the food was acceptable the staff were very organised the drinks in the bar were not overpriced and we had entertainment overall we think for what we paid for our trip we had very good value for money people cannot expect to pay 2 star prices and get 5 star accommodation you need to be realistic the hotel is very cheap and well worth the money.

Room Tip: the restaurant in this hotel is in the basement and no lift but they are willing to set up a dining...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank beverley j
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Burlington hotel in Torquay for Mother's Day it was a complete disaster the hotel was freezing cold the shower didn't work the state of the bathroom was disgusting broken tiles on wall toilet holder hanging off wall no loo brush head when you took it out of container black around tiles in shower and round edges of shower base shower doors hanging off Food was warm Entertainment was terrible they had a comedienne on that night he was so blue telling his jokes that we found him disgusting and in front of children we will never go there again staff was useless to say the least didn't have a clue receptionist was not helpful at all didn't want to know Leisuretime should pull there socks up and have more sense in sending people to these places I won't be using there company again they should pay me not me pay them AWFUL

Room Tip: Don't go in to room 23 all rooms we were told were cold and old rethink about going to this ho...
8  Thank 220Tricia1234_5
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was dreading staying here after reading the reviews, I booked with leisure time a mothers day trip, I agree with most people the deco is dated could do with updating, there isn't a lift which was quite difficult if you were unable to climb stairs, we were in the attic, room was clean and warm, bathroom was cold though, no shower only a bath. food was nice, we had evening meal breakfast and sunday lunch which was enjoyable, people arrived late for breakfast and still got served. This hotel is very much you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: hotel only suitable for mobile people, no lift at this hotel
1  Thank claire291276
Reviewed March 3, 2013

just got back from a weekend here fri-sun, room 15 was awful, small smelly and freezing cold, no heating at all in the room, bathroom was full of mould. reported the heating problem but nothing was done about it, the food was ok, and if ur late for it u dont get any !!!! staff could do with going on a training course to help them deal with customers, because they have no customer skills at all !! entertainment was ok if ur in ur 70's...... the hotel needs a good clean and a make-over ! they say u pay for what u get but it still cost us 200 quid !!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends