“Basic but fun and lively!”

Torquay Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #30 of 36 Specialty Lodging in Torquay
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

This hostel does what it says on the tin.. If people want incredible accommodation they've gotta pay for it. This is for the holiday goer on a budget & it's a great hostel.

It's lively and fun, staff are helpful & friendly and I loved hearing stories from fellow travellers.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed June 30, 2013

me and 13 friends stayed here for my stag weekend and everything here was spot on.the people who worked there were brilliant and hopeful.the rooms were clean and well worth the money.the hostel is 2-5mins walk down the hill (its not a steep hill).i would stay here again if i was to return to torquay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed at this hostel with a friend for a couple of nights and couldnt have asked for a better stay!! The hostel is in a great location with the beach just 5 minutes away!! :) Everyone was really nice and we had a good time hanging out with all the long timers there. But the best thing was how clean this place was!! The staff really do an exceptional job keeping the place tidy and clean. Keep it up guys!! Thanks again for a great stay!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here for 4 months Monday to Friday whilst working away from home. Well equipped and clean with the town centre really close by. Bus stop just outside is handy. I think its really busy at the weekeds but much quieter during the week. Well run place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My friends and i stayed at this backpacker hostel for a girls weekend and we had so much fun, :D the hostel is in a perfect location with everything just down the road and has a nice home style feel to it with great communal areas and pool table. We met the long term stayers and staff including the owner who is just adorable with his irish accent and had a lot of fun with them before going out! Everything was super clean with plenty of bathrooms and a very reasonable price, will definitely stay here again and recommend it to everyone who would like a fun welcoming hostel to stay at in Torquay :)

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hostel was fairly cheap, but I just can't stand dirty linen. I was up all night scratching in sheets that smelt of what can only be described as the sweat of a thousand drunk men. This place is in a good location, and it should have been really good, but I just wish I spent a couple more pounds on something a little better.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Chris P
SeanTwomey, Owner at Torquay Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

What a bizarre review. Firstly let me clarify that ALL bed sheets, duvet covers and pillow cases are washed after every guest checks out. As we are at the beginning of our season we have replaced all last years bedding so the bed linen in question has only been used a handful of times. Also may I add that our bed sheets are navy and duvet covers and pillow cases are dark red so I fail to see how yellow stains can appear on them. The guest in question failed to mention that he had a 6 bed en suite dorm to himself for £17 so how we receive one star for value is beyond me. As I had personally checked the room before the guest checked in I can clarify that all the sheets had been cleaned and the room immaculate. Even in the unlikely event of there being a stain left after washing, I certainly couldn't see how it would effect a nights sleep, given the fact that there were 5 other beds in the room to choose from surely common sense would lead you to sleeping in a different bed. Also could I clarify that the guest could have got something much better for only a few pounds more, well if you could I would be very grateful if you could let me know where they are as most B & B's in our part of Torquay charge £60 - £80 per person per night, but you are not really comparing like with like as we are a backpackers not a B & B and we offer our guests completely different facilities. Overall I am disappointed that you didn't enjoy your stay with us, we have in the region of 3000 - 4000 people stay with us each year and in all the years we have been here had not once had somebody say the sheets that smelt of what can only be described as the sweat of a thousand drunk men.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Perfect location, anything you need (pubs, clubs, beach :)) is only 10min walking distance from the hostel. Very clean and comfortable. Great atmosphere! You can be sure that you will feel welcome even if you travel alone. Well equipped kitchen. Good facilities: pool table, TV lounge, free WiFi. If you are in Torquay, don't stay anywhere else! :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo