“Coffee stop”

Ranked #48 of 353 Restaurants in Torquay
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just dropped in for a drink, I had coffee the other half had chocolate, the service was 1st class,cafe spotless.

3  Thank doddflier640
JulieSweet, Owner at Burridge's Cafe Tearooms, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments I'm so glad your enjoyed your visit. Julie Sweet

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Got so excited about the Ms Marple and Herculet Poirot tea, I thought it will fit perfectly with the Agatha Christie festival theme, since I was already there. The tea place looks nice from outside and quite cozy inside in a way. Not many tables inside. I ordered Miss Marple's afternoon tea which included some small sandwiches- bad quality white bread, tasteless cheese and awful chutney. The scone and cream with jam were lovely, tea bad quality. The sweet desert that came with that was awful. It was 9.99 GBP per set, so in a way you get what you pay for. Well, I did it for experience but would rather pay 25 GBP for the excellent quality set that 10 for the bad one.

1  Thank diorstone
JulieSweet, Owner at Burridge's Cafe Tearooms, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Although you are writing about an afternoon tea that you had three months ago during the Agatha Christie festival in Torquay, I am surprised by your negative comments as this menu was well received by a large number of customers including travel writers, members of staff from Harper Collins publishers. I must stress that we are a small traditional tearooms with only fifteen tables and seating for forty eight inside. All of are products are of a high quality and that is something of which I am very proud, our bread is made fresh each day by a local bakery (who has won many awards), our chutney is from Highfield Preserves a Devon company and the Westcountry Cider Chutney which we use won a Gold Award at the Taste of the West Food Awards 2012, the cheese on your sandwich was a Quickes Mature Cheddar again another award winning Devon cheese, the loose leaf tea we use is a Assam and Ceylon blend which is imported by the Devon Tea Company, the slice of cake was a traditional old English version of Seed Cake the recipe I used was based on one from the 1930's and the sweet desert you mentioned was a Sherry Trifle which was one of my Grandmothers recipes and a family favourite. In fact £9.99 was incredible value considering the quality of the food we used. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit to us but do feel that with any food it is very much down to personnel taste.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Good healthy sandwiches in size and filling. Table decor good and service just fine. Thought it a bit pricey.

2  Thank velsatis1
JulieSweet, Owner at Burridge's Cafe Tearooms, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for writing a review, I am glad you enjoyed you sandwich. The price of £4.85 for a skinny and £5.50 for a doorstep sandwich reflects the quality of the local products that we use and the size of our portions which include a generous side salad and potato crisps. I hope you will visit us again when your next in Torquay.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

After a walk along the coastal path a fabulous pot of tea and delicious slice of home made blueberry/cream sponge in pleasant surroundings, bliss.

1  Thank Janice S
JulieSweet, Owner at Burridge's Cafe Tearooms, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to Burridge's and your slice of Blueberry and Clotted Cream Cake it's one of our favourites too!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We visited one rainy afternoon and had a late lunch with my 5 year old daughter.

Great atmosphere and loved the old fashioned touches like the quaint Torquay victorian pictures, I had a toasted sandwich and my wife had a delicious pumpkin soup with a massive doorstop piece of bread.

Some great home made carrot cake and victoria sandwich cake on offer albeit the portion was a little small for £2.25! We also had to pay full price for a sandwich for my 5 year old daughter.

Overall promising and a refreshing change to Starbucks. Suggest the owners keep refining, increase cake sizes and offer childrens menus.

Recommend.

1  Thank LordKixley

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to Burridge's and thank you for your suggestions. We are a relatively new business, we opened in April this year so we're still learning but think that a children's menu would be a great idea.