“A cost effective self catering half term break”
Review of TLH Leisure Resort

TLH Leisure Resort
Ranked #43 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I have just returned from TLH staying in a self catering apartment in the Carlton Hotel within the complex. Check-in is efficient but staff sometimes try to be a little 'marriott' rather than friendly and welcoming in what is a family-friendly, seaside holiday resort. We have stayed here many time before, usually on a self catering basis which gives greater flexibility with a young family. The bedroom was large, with a sofa bed in the lounge. A well equipped kitchen and bathroom was also on hand. I had wanted to book the 2 bedroom apartment but all were taken, which is often a good sign of how popular the place is. The pools are excellent, especially the smaller one for young children. My only complaint is that duing holidays, the large pool gets crowded and it would be useful for management to explore dividing the larger pool for serious swimmers.

Albert's bar within the complex offers good value for money. At the time of my visit, children ate for £1 when an adult purchased a meal. The Aztec bar is well worth a visit. Added a couple of years ago, it provides an up market feel to the complex. The only issue with the Aztec bar is that food can be very slow to arrive, but when it does it is nearly worth the wait. The sports bar/arcade in the lower section of the complex is good for children (soft play area, bowling, pool etc) but a greater variety of arcade games would improve this and probably generate more more for the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed February 25, 2011

We've stayed in The Derwent Hotel in Torquay several times over the years and it has always been pleasurable. This time our waitress was INCREDIBLE, Monika had a curly hair and she was from Poland,always so happy, very friendly, nothing is too much trouble. We would like to say Thank you to Monika.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I recently stayed in this hotel and was very pleased with every aspect and intend to return in the future.
My only complaint concerns the apparently shoddy treatment of waiting staff. I found them to be pleasant and helpful without exception; however, it came to my attention that the tips which we were leaving for them were not actually reaching them.
I have no explanation for this, but feel that it is a shame when we cannot show our appreciation and reward good service.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Leisure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2011

Dear Reviewer
I am not sure what hotel you stay at on the Resort but would like to assure you of the following. All tips handed in to any of our Restaurant Managers or Supervisors will be banked into a holding account that is paid out to individual staff members through the PAYE system in line with tax law. Staff do have to pay income tax on this. Any gratuity given to a staff member directly is a matter for the individual, who should declare this as income. This is the individuals’ responsibility. As a company we do not withhold any staff gratuities and make periodical payments to them once the fund is at a reasonable level. All of our staff are treated exceptionally well in comparison to other hospitality employers. The staff recieve profit related bonuses as well as training and attendance bonuses. I hope this addresses your concerns.
You are welcome to contact me if there is anything else that you think should be brought to our attention. I am glad that you had an enjoyable break.
Kindest regards. Jason Garside

Reviewed December 19, 2010

We have just returned from a party night at the CarltonHotel, the hotel is great, every member of staff were helpful and very professsional. Would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants value for money, but a good standard of hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2010

Despite being local I did actually stay at the Dewent hotel for a weekend and the accomodation and food is great I can't find fault in this but as a local memeber of the Aztec Spa at TLH This mainly concerns the leisure facilities for those who want club and swimming membership or if your a hotel guest.
The brochures and pictures advertising the pool all look very nice, So I took a one year membership of the Aztec Spa as a new year treat at TLH hotel and feel quite disappointed with the poor value for money and condition of the place. Membership is expensive. One of the main pools and the one and only Jacuzzi is presently closed for two weeks, whilst these are essential repairs I did pay for 52 weeks not 50 or in the case of the jacuzzi less than 48 weeks. There are other problems too! But never mind my membership ends soon so that has helped me decide not to renew. Things are often out of order such as the jacuzzi (that's a separate story later) which is often breaking down and in general the poor state of the place. I would like to have backed up these things with photos, but for some reason photography is forbidden around the pool.
Around the smaller med pool, tiles are missing and there are rusty manhole covers, its advisable to wear flip flops! There are orange railings with chipped paint that have probably not been painted since that part of the pool was built in the 1980s! Pool water jets just don't work and neither do other water features. Its general things like these that give the pool a shabby and run down look and with the prices you expect far better. Of course you would not mind the inconvenience when things are closed, if things were going to be improved such as a new jacuzzi and better conditions etc but when it reopens the shabiness and unreliability continues.

Steam rooms usually lack the aromatic essences that you would expect in a steam room or sauna instead all you get is an unpleasent smell of stale sweat which can't be very hygienic in the humid atmosphere. The essences after all help sterilize the steam making it hygenic and give you that beneficial experience of steam which you don't get here. So really without the aromatherapy vapours the steam room dosn't serve its full puropse. All steam rooms I have visited use these fragrances.

The Jacuzzi

Don't get me started. After a hard day of work and gym I enjoy being able to use a jacuzzi that's why I chose this club. In the last year since I started here in January I have lost count of the amount of times the Jacuzzi has been closed or out of order. The thing is old tatty and other members have said it should of been replaced with a new one donkeys years ago! You do not expect to see such an old shabby thing in a modern facility especially when you consider the prices for membership. Its situated in a dark dusty corner, drain guards around the top are missing not only does that it make it look more shabby it can't be safe either especially if kids use the thing! Its often over chlorinated which stings eyes, its sometimes cold, over flows or leaks, back jets do not work. You actually have to get out to switch the thing on again and the switch is not easy to operate either! Without back jets it really doesn't serve its purpose. A few months back it was closed for nearly two weeks we held our breath and thought a new one would be installed, but were left disappointed, it had only been patched up and given a lick of paint with the other problems persisting such as no back jets guards missing !
Come on Aztec Spa, members pay a fortune in membership plus the money from hotel guests I am sure they could stop being so miserly and provide a new upto date jacuzzi unit! To add to the problems the thing is closed AGAIN for two more weeks together with the med pool, its really not on! I suspect the problem being that the prehistoric Jacuzzi is connected to the main pool system unlike modern jacuzzis which can be independent units and would still be able to function with the pool shut down. Its beyond the joke.

I amongst many others have paid for 52 weeks use of these facilities and have had much less than 48 weeks use of the jacuzzi and only 50 weeks use of the med pool. I’ve talked with other memebers and Once again you do not mind if things are out of service for a few weeks if you get new better things like a new jacuzzi, steam rooms that are nice to relax in, pool jets which work, but we end up inconvinenced the same poor shabby conditions after.

Membership is quite expensive and yes the advertising pictures do look nice but look at it close up and endure the poor service with most facilities being old and outdated or sometims closed. After all if you pay for a years membership which is quite expensive then you expect facilities to be available for that time and to be in good working condition. It is quite a premium price and you expect premium quality, not miserliness such as painting over the cracks of the jacuzzi rather than putting a new one in. I will not be renewing my membership next year. Its partly my fault in that I should have gone for a trial session before paying a years membership. If you are considering membership here, do save your hard earned money and try elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Harleydavidson67
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Leisure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2010

Thank you to the reviewer for their feedback on the Aztec facilities and I am sorry to read they are not happy with their membership package.

Having to close facilities like the med pool and Jacuzzi is not a decision taken lightly and the last thing we want to do as a business is to close facilities. Unfortunately there are some essential maintenance jobs that have to be carried out and do require short periods of closure. The current sand filter work was scheduled when the hotels and pools are at their quietest to cause least disruption, our main Aztec Pool is still open and the Jacuzzi re opened a few days after the work started. I appreciate that it is frustrating for guests and members when they are out of action, but if we did not carry out this maintenance work now it would mean that the facilities would need more work at a later stage, which would put them out of action for longer. All pools operators will have to close for short periods for essential maintenance so this is not something that only applies to Aztec.

Whilst the Med pool is closed I am pleased to say that we are taking advantage of this and completing decoration works, which include re painting handrails, repairing tiles, re decorating the Jacuzzi area and med pool areas. As the reviewer will appreciate decorating a pool area when it is open to the public is very difficult, which is why we have scheduled this work to happen whilst the med pool was closed.

The Jacuzzi was re-furbished as a short term measure this autumn as we recognised that it needed updating. All the jets in the Jacuzzi should be working, however I will speak to our pool contractor to check this. As the reviewer commented the Jacuzzi is connected to the Med Pool and therefore just to replace it with a brand new one in the existing area is not an option to us. However as part of our long term Aztec development plan a new Jacuzzi is being looked at as well as extending changing and locker facilities.

Over the past few years we have had an on going development programme which has included a new fitness studio, gym extension and a luxury Elemis Spa . We also have an ongoing upgrade and maintenance programme which this year has included locker upgrades in the gym changing areas, outdoor pool upgrade and refurbishment, Jacuzzi refurbishment and indoor pool plant room upgrades. I hope that from seeing the work carried out already and from this response the reviewer will appreciate that we are committed to developing and investing in our facilities. I also hope the reviewer can understand that this work cannot all happen immediately and is part of a development plan. However in the duration we will do our up most to maintain existing facilities and keep them in good working order.

TLH Leisure Resort is a family owned and run business and we value our Aztec members and are very proud of how this has grown over the past few years. We have invested a lot of time, money and effort into providing an extensive Leisure Club and will continue to invest, maintain and develop the facilities and the service we offer. I am sorry to read the reviewer will not be re-newing their membership and hope they will re consider their decision. If they would like to contact me directly I would be more than happy to discuss any grievances they have personally.

Reviewed November 5, 2010

Great group of hotels to stay in with very good facilities for groups and families to enjoy - you don't actually need to leave the hotel - but had room 103 (single/bunk) and was woken up at 5am by very, very noisy air conditioning or similar thing outside my window in a courtyard. I think it stopped at midnight. Even on a Sunday morning it was rattling away! no double glazing in my room so heard every rattle. Could have done with another pillow as well but no spares.

Generally complex is very good and the staff helpful, friendly and genuiniely want you to enjoy your stay - food very acceptable as well.

Shame about the noise - it is probably only in a small group of rooms around that small yard as my friend who was in room 3 was also kept awake but others, facing the front or in a different part had no problems at all.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Just spent 4 great nights at the Toorak hotel. Was very impressed with the hotel. Very friendly staff and management, room furnished to a good standard and excellent facilities all round. Especially loved the indoor pool and bowling area. Food was good with only one slight glitch in that the restaurant service was a bit slow on a couple of occasions but that did not detract from my enjoyment of my stay. Will definitely go back again

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple