“Great facilities, great location, helpful staff all make for a great holiday.”
Review of TLH Leisure Resort

TLH Leisure Resort
Ranked #41 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
“Great facilities, great location, helpful staff all make for a great holiday.”
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here several times and everytime I've thoroughly enjoyed myself. Even if the weather isn't great there is still plenty to do within the complex. Even at night there is plenty to do. The only negative point is the selection of drinks are pretty limited.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
cornwall
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have been to the TLH Leisure resort 3 times and each time stayed in a different hotel on the complex. My first visit was in December 2011 for a work's Christmas party. I was astounded at the cheap price myself and my boyfriend paid for dinner, bed, breakfast and christmas entertainment/disco. Also the use of the pool was included in the price which was lovely. I stayed in the Carlton this time and the service on arrival was great. Our room was also lovely, but it was placed right near the entrance to the hotel so a little noisy, but this was just luck of the draw. Food was amazing, a full 3 course Xmas dinner and we all had a good night.

The second time I stayed was in February 2012 as a Valentines Day weekend break. This time we stayed in the Victoria hotel.We chose the Soul and Motown weekend package as it was an amazing price for 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast. Our room was on the top floor right in the corner and was huge!!!!!! The food was also amazing, set in a gorgeous ballroom-esque dining room. You have your own table from the beginning of your stay, so no fussing to get there early to get a good table. We didn't go to the hotel's entertainment as we met up with friends and went out of the hotel.

My latest visit was in June 2012 and we stayed in the Derwent, and it was a Soul and Motown package again. The price was brilliant for 2 nights dbb. We were aware the Derwent is a 2* hotel, and our room wasn't as good as we'd expected. It was very small and seemed to be slightly on a slant ! As this was our anniversary weekend my boyfriend went down to reception and asked if there was a chance we could swap. The receptionist was very helpful and pleasant and offered us another room, which was much better and we switched. We understood that we were asking a lot but the staff were helpful and understanding. Our new room had tired decor but it was much larger and better. We were surprised at the high quality of the food being that it is a 2* hotel, it was fab!!! The entertainment was also good.

We're going back for our 4th visit this Christmas for another works do....highly reccommend!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the corner of the hotel are the biggest! Not sure which ones these are though so may be wor...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The wife & myself treated the Daughters and granddaughters to a long weekend in the Derwent
Hotel the rooms. food ,pools entertainment & staff were fantastic.We have used the TLH group
for 30 years and they never fail to please.

Thanks TLH. Mr & Mrs P. Wring

Room Tip: Most rooms now in the Derwent have been updated. Food service in Carlton Hotel is VERY Slow.
Rhyl, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Third visit to TLH, and it does not dissapoint..... enough to do in the hotel to keep you entertained whatever the weather, great breakfast and the evening meal is not bad either..... we stay ar the Toorak so cannot comment on the other accomadation, but the there family rooms are well sized and equipped.

Bristol
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We went here during the summer holidays with friends and 4 children. Plenty for the kids to do like swimming, sports & games room. We went half board and a good choice of food on the menu for all of us in fact we probably ate too much! The kids enjoy the bingo on the night too and the hotel is full of all different groups of people rather than just families. We had a great time and will go back again.

2 Thank BristolNic
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My mum treated me and my two children aged 5 and 7 to a few days here early this July. I told the children of all the fun things they could do in the kids club. Games & toys Crazy games
Craft fun Mini discos Face painting Modelling Talent competitions Painting and colouring Computer challenges Swimming galas Video time Badge making all listed
We now live abroad so the children like many other kids there who did not live in UK were out of school. We made three attempts to go to kids clubs but it was always closed. We met others with children who had. Tried but also found it closed. Yes there are other activities but all at quite a cost. It all adds up daily. My children were very disappointed. I filled out a comment card stating this but it's just been used to bombard my in box with offers. I'm sure it's great in season. But AVOID out of school holidays. The food was very good. The staff mostly ok except one in Aztec bar who told me cream teas weren't available even though there were adverts for it everywhere and other staff later told me cream teas were available. I believe that if you advertise a kids club available it should be available regardless of if it's one child or twenty. No response or apology have been made to us.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Cheekychesh
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Leisure Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on you stay this summer. I am sorry you had problems with our kids club.

The club is open all year around and runs sessions in the morning, afternoon and evening, I am unsure why it appeared closed during your stay. We register children into the club and keep this in a log and during the pre summer holidays we have names registered for almost every day over that period.

On a future visit if you are having problems with this please ask at reception to speak to the Entertainments Manager who will be able to ensure that your children are well looked after and get to use the kids club.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Went this past weekend with 15 month & 3 year old. They loved the pools & big soft play areas. Pool & bar area great for meals with kids. We were in the self catered Victoria hotel apartment room 36 so up several flights of stairs which was challenging with luggage and the stroller. No Internet in rooms at all. Ran into a few cases where info. on website & in books in room out of date or wrong (e.g. no launderette anymore, no pool towels available at front desk - you can pay for them at spa £2 without a refund). Staff nice but often unknowledgeable & not quick to jump to help (e.g. waited almost an hour for porter to bring us frying pan for dinner because he went on his break first). They didn't clean our apartment the entire time & only grout new towels in during daily service, had to ask for more toilet paper & take trash out ourselves. Had breakfast one morning about £10 per adult (kids free), VERY limited selection (English breakfast plus cereal, porridge & small selection of fruit)...would recommend other places down the street for better value. Would go back but resort needs some tlc for sure!

Room Tip: Ask for grund floor with kids if needed.