“Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
West Yorkshire
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

We have just spent four nights here and have to say what a fantastic time we have had. We don't usually holiday in the UK but were in the area for a wedding so decided to make a holiday of it. I booked this hotel based on TA reviews.
We arrived early and had to wait until 2pm to check in so went for a walk in to the Town. The walk was only about five minutes and took us straight to the sea front.
Once we got checked in we found be had a lovely double room which was spotless and airy.
From the moment we arrived to the time we left Carsten made us very welcome and was hilariously funny. This man literally runs the front of house by himself, from breakfast to lunch to dinner. He really couldn't do enough to help and he made our stay fantastic.
We travelled 10 hours to get down to Torquay and then 10 hours back but I would do this again to stay at this Hotel again.
It was spotless, clean, well maintained and the pool area was great.
The food was lovely, again no issues at all, and we ate there one night, the food was lovely and Carsten made me a meal on request that wasn't on the evening menu.
I can 100% recommend this hotel to anyone, thank you for a great time!!

Cleanliness

2 Thank KLP1122

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Hungarian first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

Just returned after spending three days at Riviera lodge, could not fault the hotel or staff, Carston could not have been more helpful or efficient, never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for anything we asked for even though the hotel was full and very busy at the time.

Our evening meal was lovely, well cooked and tasty, i found the full breakfast to be adequate, there was plenty of toast and cereals ect. Again at meal times carston never kept us waiting and does the work of two people. cannot fault him.

Another guest complained about carstons attitude when they arrived early, well we too arrived early, carston informed us that the room would not be ready until 2pm but gave us the key to the room told us we could leave the car in the car park and even informed us of the most popular bars and resturants to visit, i can only assume that the previous guest had a clash of personality.

Overall i thought the hotel was good value for money with bags of character. will be returning next year.

Room Tip: the compact double is exactly that. would choose superior next time
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Julie D
Frederiksberg, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

My family and I stayed here for 2 nights early July. The staff was very plesant, and everything from the meals to the look of the place was splendid. Pool was very nice for a dip, and they had a yacuzzi for free use.

There was though some small negatives:
The rooms in general was pretty small. The bathrooms was extremely small, especially in my single room. Last, the surroundings close is pretty nice, but the city of Torquay is very boring and run down. Go to the cities arround and you'll be good (Totnes for example).
We also payed more in advance for a single room than it was if we would have booked it there, which is kind of a rip-off since the hotel wasn't even crowded!

I would choose this hotel again if I was ever going back to Torquay, but do the best thing: Just visit some other city in the area.

Overall good stay and helpful staff!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RunarBakken
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

3rd stay at this hotel as per usual excellent, we will be back for short stay next year,breakfast is good plenty of choice,but the evening meal is superb .relaxed atmosphere as always and friendly staff,other comments mention greeting when arriving early,then arrive after 2pm as you would anywhere else,at least you can go to bar or use the pool,cannot wait till next year

Room Tip: For short stay double room is fine
      Sleep Quality

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

My wife, me and my parents visited this hotel from 23/07/2014 to 27/07/2014. We read many of the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking and was very satisfied with what was being said. We arrived around 6.30pm and was welcomed by Carsten. The welcome was very friendly, polite and professional.

The hotel is spotlessly clean everywhere. The decor is gorgeous inside the hotel itself. The grounds are stunning with a lovely pool, hot tub and plenty of sun loungers chairs and tables.

The service was excellent. The food was of the highest standard with a great choice for breakfast.

Although the hotel is fantastic. What really makes this place is the people that run it. Carsten and co are fantastic hosts. We were made to feel extremely welcome all the time. Even when saying good bye. We were all sad to leave.

In conclusion the reviews we read before going were exactly as described or even better. I wish I could rate the hotel and staff 11 out of 10.

Many thanks for a great time

My wife and me will be returning around the same time next year. We look forward to meeting you all again.

Wayne and Marion Brodeur

Oxford.

Location
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

We arrived at the above hotel around 11am.We rang the bell. The owner opened the door pointed at us and abruptly said you are early 2pm is the time I told you. We left the hotel respectful that guests may have not left yet. We returned later in the day. I mentioned to the owner my disappointment of his attitude on arrival, he replied the following to my family and myself - I don't need your business? I am German and very efficient. What did he mean? I am in my fifties I am a property developer, landlord, Heating & plumbing contractor and a football coach. I am English and efficient but I don't promote the fact. I treat all my customers and tenants with respect regardless. Unfortunately we felt very un welcome during our stay. Our room was adequate as it was a premier suite, the other rooms were small, all room were very hot with no air con. We were all provided with duvets but no cover sheet so duvet or do without!! Rooms were clean and tidy. Shower room was small and basin waste made syphon noise possibly connected to shower waste? Safe was a problem but told it was fine, to keep the peace we agreed. We are not big eaters so 1 sausage 1 bacon 1 egg beans/tomatoes was adequate, you decide? Pool was nice but a bit cold. even in hot weather. Garden was well kept. I have travelled in this country and several other countries and this is my first review. I'm afraid I will not be recommending this hotel.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank la2014478
Newport -Trefdraeth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel twice in the last five weeks I can highly recommend it. The facilities are superb, well maintained and exceptionally clean.
The food is of a high standard with ample choice at breakfast of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurt, croissants, continental meats and cheeses from a buffet bar together with the hot menu where again there is something for everyone from Full English with a vegetarian option to porridge all accompanied by tea/coffee and toast.
Evening meals were also to a very high standard and the staff were more than helpful and friendly. On both stays I invited friends who have a small apartment nearby to join me at the hotel for an evening meal and they also were very impressed with both the food and the friendliness of the staff.
I have already booked two further stays at this hotel next June and July and am already looking forward to them.
I also have two further visits to the area planned for later this year and am so very disappointed that I will be unable to stay at The Riviera Lodge as it closes over the winter.
As a female travelling alone you made me feel more than welcome and always had time to stop and chat. Thanks guys for making my stays in Torquay so memorable for all the right reasons. Have a great break over the Winter and I'll see you next year. Avril (Wales)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo