“Think we must've been staying in a different hotel!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Osborne Hotel

The Osborne Hotel
Ranked #29 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Think we must've been staying in a different hotel!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We arrived at the Osborne on the Friday and stayed until Sunday. The staff were very welcoming and polite. The main reception was spotless as were the entrance and all the areas we entered.
Our first night was in a room facing the sea and it was a nice size with gorgeous views.
I wasn't impressed with the shower as the temperature kept changing plus the pressure simply wasn't sufficient enough.
The room had beautiful plush carpets and probably one of the most comfortable beds I had slept in. The furniture was nothing to complain about and everything was clean and tidy. I did have an issue with a dirty teacup on the Saturday morning but this was hurriedly replaced with a simple phone call to reception.
The following day we should have checked out but decided to stay another day. We had to change rooms because it had already been booked, but this was our fault, not the hotels.
The 2nd room was a non sea view room and not as nice as the first. The extractor fan was noisy but the shower pressure was far better so this compensated for this fact. Also to be quite honest when the door was shut you couldn't hear the fan anyway.
The hotel doesn't leave a spare loo roll in the bathroom so unfortunately we ran out. No toilet brush or bin bag in the bathroom bin which is a real bug bearer of mine and one I hope they sort out.
Cleanliness was very good and staff were lovely. The prices are high for drinks, a cocktail was around the £8 mark and a bottle of average supermarket wine was £19.
The food was good. We paid for bed and breakfast and I was a little shocked that I had to pay extra for kippers. It was a very small amount but kippers are hardly expensive and though the breakfast was beautifully presented on a perfectly cooked poached egg,with lemon and lime slices surrounding the dish,this would not have cost any more than a full English.
The indoor pool was situated In a very run down building,the ceiling was peeling and the stairway was unkempt and dirty.However the pool was spotless and the water was beautifully warm, though a little too chlorinated for my liking.
I would definitely stay there again. My husband thoroughly enjoyed himself as well. meadfoot beach is a 5 minute walk away but to get into Torquay you would definitely need a taxi. Also if you're a smoker make sure you take plenty of cigarettes as the hotel does not sell them? I'm not a smoker but I heard numerous moans and groans from people about this

4 Thank 66sunshinebabs66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Thai first
Torquay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Living near the Osborne Hotel, it is very nice to go down and have a drink on the terrace and enjoy the views. Last weekend we decided to have lunch at the Brasserie for a change. What a mistake! I asked for a beef sandwich with red onion relish on brown bread. What I got for an extotionate price of £6.90 was bread as thin as paper containing something masquerading as beef. It was certainly not fresh beef but some pressed, processed rubbish that was full of gristle and which I was unable to chew properly. I complained and was offered another sandwich which I declined. I was told that my comments would be passed to the chef. I can prepare a much better sandwich and am not a chef! It may be a lot further to travel but a beef sandwich at the Berry Head Hotel is served on beautiful, fresh, soft, thick bread and the beef is fresh, Brassiere at the Osborne take lessons from your competition across the bay. In future I will save my money and eat at home or across the bay.

5 Thank 13Anon13
Chester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Scenery lovely and room ok. cleanliness was very good and dining room was excellent but sadly the evening menu was the same every night which was very boring when one had booked in for dinner,bed and breakfast with my elderly mother for a week. Main course when brought to the table seemed to be swimming in oil. No vegetables where served with the evening meal but if you asked for them you had to pay £3 extra for a few that would just about cover a tea plate. If I ever visit Torquay again I would not stay at this hotel.

Brixham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

The hotel stands in its own grounds, the views are stunning, over looking torbay, our wedding party was greeted with very helpful staff, and they were attentive all the time we were there, the sit down meal, what can l say, it was superb, all meals was served on hot plates, and each meal was perfect, melting in the mouth, they made the meals so attractive, and the sweets, well they are to die for, ha ha. The rooms could be upgraded, looking a little tired, but over all, would go again just for the experience.

Room Tip: we had a back room, but the ones on the front have great view's,
1 Thank Madge136
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights as were were down for a wedding. On first approaching the hotel, it did look fairly tired, but the entrance and reception/public areas were clean and well decorated. This is where the fun stops. Firstly, the directions to the room were poor and it took us a while to find it, then we saw horrible stains and holes in the walls along our corridor (pictures included). The room smelt awful, we couldnt put our finger on what it smelt of, but we had to open the windows as far as they could go. That was the next issue, it took both of us to actually open the knackered old sash windows, then use a bin to prop it open. We appreciate that this is an old hotel but there is no excuses for bad smells, poor stinking carpets and distgustingly old bathroom sweet. You can do a place up to look nice and modern and still keep the old flavour of the hotel going! As i said before the bathroom looked grubby, the shower leaked ( i managed to fix that) and the extractor fan sounded like a tractor. The mirror on the back of the door was hanging off. All the appliances in the room, the kettle and the hair dryer looked liked they were from the eighties. This is definately not a £100 a night hotel, it is more like a £40 a night. I wished we had stayed in the premier inn instead. On a brighter note, at least the bed sheets were clean and breakfast was nice as were all the staff working there.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel unless you want a lovely breakfast, but a horrible room. Wipe your feet on th...
Dunstable, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We booked a sea view suite and on a clear day the view was lovely. We some issues with our room which were dealt with quickly, unfortunately one day we actually ran out of toilet paper and the bathroom had not been cleaned. There were 4 coat hangers in the wardrobe, my pet hate and not a good start. The floor in the room was uneven and the carpet was in need of a clean. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and every time we turned over it sounded like the slats underneath were going to collapse. The decoration of the room was lovely. The shower cubicle was tiny. For the price of our room I did expect more. I have no idea why some sea-side hotels think they can charge London room rates
On the plus side we managed to get a parking space directly outside the front door and as we used public transport we did not move the car for 5 days although there seemed to be a lot of parking spaces at the back of the premises.
The breakfast was ok, nothing remarkable and we ate once in the Brasserie where the food was good but the waitress could not speak English and the sauces were served in sachets which I thought was odd as it was not a take-away?
The hotel grounds were lovely. We did not use either of the pools. There is also a tennis court. There is a bus service every hour into town but this only runs until about 6pm. The staff were very friendly and like another reviewer I cannot understand why they don't have a proper reception desk, all a bit understated. We enjoyed our stay but for the price we certainly were expecting a lot more.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a sea view room but did not get a balcony.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Took my mother away for 5 nights and chose to stay at The Osborne Hotel 4th to 9th July. From the start all the staff were wonderfully polite and most helpful. We both had junior suites for sole occupancy. My mother was pleasantly surprised with her suite named Coutts it was extremely large and wonderfully bright with a fabulous view. A nice little added bonus were the separate walk in showers in the bathrooms. My mother relaxed and enjoyed every moment from the time she stepped into the suite till the time she left. I had a suite called Haldon which I was very pleased with. Each of our suites had balconies which overlooked a breathtaking view. It was strange as there were no doors to the balconies just huge windows that you had to open and step out of to get access to the balconies, different I guess not really strange. For my mother and I, the two suites actually made the 5 day break even though the weather was mostly rain. There was only one sunny day so my mother and I grabbed the opportunity to go swimming in the outdoor pool and surprisingly the water was heated just right with no nasty surprises when I first dived in. The rate I paid in my opinion was extremely good value and I am thinking of returning for another break in September. I would recommend the Hotel highly and suggest that you request to stay in one of the suites for a pleasurable relaxing stay. Thank you for making a wonderful relaxed stay for my mother and I.

Room Tip: Choose one of the suites Coutts is really nice
1 Thank Anthony M