“Really enjoyable stay - friendly, comfortable hotel”

The Ansteys Lea Hotel
Ranked #130 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Enjoyed a really nice relaxing weekend at this very friendly hotel. We were met by the very friendly owners who made us welcome from the start. The rooms were clean and comfortable, with extras such as tea & coffee included in the price. All new & fresh decoration. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rob H

Reviewed September 4, 2010

I am regular guest at this hotel and do not recognise the negative reviews. It is clean, safe and quiet. It is in a good location with private off-street parking. Sure it is a Victorian building, as are many hotels in Torquay. The staff are always extremely helpful and you will not find better value in this town.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank LondonSimon99
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Bad state of repair, Victorian mansion that has not been cleaned since Victorian times. pool area unusable, STAY SOME WHERE ELSE!!!! The only good thing about this hotel is the front driveway out of there. if you can get a car parking spot in the driveway as taken up by old rusted Saab cars belonging to the owner,. The room was not cleaned the whole time of are stay. Torquay is a nice place lots of things to do.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bakealot
Reviewed July 22, 2010

When i booked this hotel direct with the owner Roy Gosden..I found him very helpful and friendly over the phone right from the start..We stayed at this beautiful hotel 10nights(12th July-23rd 2010)we had 2rooms both with stunning views..We had the most perfect full english breakfast every morning..The rooms were lovely,clean and tidy with daily maid to clean our rooms that had friee view tv/fast internet in our rooms also shower and very comfortable beds...I am normally extreamly hard to please and i was blown away by Roy and his team who were extreamly friendly and they always went the extra mile with advice on the area and we all loved there good old fashioned service always with a smile(which until now i thought it was long gone)..My elderly parents would go nightly to bar in the hotel for a good natter with Roy and i know my parents will miss that.. The hotel made our holiday perfect..It has plenty of free parking in and around the hotel..The hotel is exctly 1mile from sea front..It took us 15minutes to walk it..The hotel is situated in a very beautiful quiet area of Torquay aswell..I just want everyone to know if you are going to Torquay then this hotel is a must..Thanks again Roy you are a true gent and in the time we stayed we all feel like we found a great friend..Hope to be back next year again.. Paul from North East UK

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank d5udd
Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is the third time we have been to this hotel and it will be the last. Upon arriving at the weekend it was full of young children who were there for a dancing competition in Torquay. They were running around the hotel, slamming doors and being very noisy. After the weekend this quietened and we then found out there they were not doing evening meals so had to go out and find this every evening. The swimming pool was not opened until our last day and we were informed this had only been opened to accommodate the numerous stag parties who were coming in that day. Needless to say that we did not get to sleep that night for them making noise until 5.00 am. The hotel iteself has become very dated and is in need of refurbishment. The rooms are very basic and most of furniture has seen better days. The bathroom could have been cleaner and more water came out of the top of the shower than the shower head iteself. The hotel is not kept tidy. Washing bundles are left strewn all over the hotel. It has supposed to have a bar but unless you go and find someone to actually get you a drink they don't bother opening it. I would not recommend this to anyone unless you are a stag party, etc as we have come across this before and it just keeps happening. very disappointed and will not bother wasting money on this again!

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank Beaus19
Reviewed August 22, 2009

I was so disappointed by this place - from the outside it looks great - set in well-tended large gardens, on a hillside between Torquay and Babbacombe. However, the carpet in the room was fithy-matted long blonde hair and crumbs- and the bathroom floor wasn't clean either. Was only provided with one towel, no hand towel or bath mat. As for the 'swimming pool' - dirty and not much bigger than a hot tub! The bar was full of bags of dirty laundry for the whole of my stay, as was the reception area. Can't comment on brekkie as it wasn't part of my room deal, but was glad I never bothered.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank stormswept
Reviewed April 5, 2009

The outside of the hotel looked bright and inviting. Upon arrival, my colleagues and I were kept waiting for some time whilst the hotelier was on the phone in reception and he totally ignored us and there was no apology for keeping us waiting. When I was shown my room it was small and the bathroom floor looked grubby. It was actually clean but it looked like some stuck down floooring had been removed and the adhesive hadnt been properly cleaned off. I had a twin bedded room and the bedspreads were shabby and one had a large yellow stain on it. The sheets, pillowcases and quilt cover were however very clean and nicely pressed. I also had a lovely flat screen TV that I could watch laying in bed, although the reception wasnt great. The tea cups in the room looked clean, but when I made some tea it tasted awful, I suspect because the cups hadnt actually been washed properly. On the 2nd day the room was 'cleaned' but they never washed up the cup, the bed wasnt tidy and the room hadnt been hoovered - talc from the day before was left where it was. I was provided with a bath towel and a bar of soap only - no hand towel or any other normal hotel offerings were in evidence - this is a no frills hotel!
At breakfast we were given no choice - just 'full english' which firstly came without sausages! When we asked where the sausages were we were told we had mushrooms - but after persisting we were brought some sausages. The waiter was keen to get away and whipped away plates etc before my colleagues had finished. The coffee was lukewarm and greasy and the tea was even colder! On the second day we were given more choice, but the food was just slopped on the plate from the warming dishes with no care for presentation or hygiene and the fried bread had sat there so long it was like cardboard.
In addition to the above, the swimming pool was not in use as it was grubby, the bar wasnt opened in the evening as it was in use for some sort of training session.
Thankfully my stay there was short and paid for by someone else as I was attending a conference.
This hotel needs some updating and some customer service training for its staff, but I wouldnt stay there again and I certainly wouldnt reccomend it to anyone else until there has been a change of management or I was assured of significant improvements.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business