“Just for a change”
Review of The Buccaneer Inn

The Buccaneer Inn
Ranked #34 of 338 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A great Pub that does excellent value and quality 'Pub Food' with its own twist. Winner of St. Austell Brewery 'Cask Ale pub of the year 2012'. Recommended in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide 2014.
Derby, United Kingdom
“Just for a change”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Four of us decided that we wanted a change from all the festive food and back to reality so we chose the Buccaneer at Babbacombe and were not disappointed. we took our choice from the extensive menu and we all enjoyed the lovely and well presented meals.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank COLCLOUGH187048

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Korean first
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Buccin Awesome!!!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Occasionally meander up to Babbacombe downs for a drink and the Buccaneer is a must. The staff are always friendly and welcoming and there is always a pleasant atmosphere. We visited last Saturday and tried the food menu for the fist time. I have to say how pleasantly surprised we all were with the quality of the food and how reasonable the prices were. The blonde waitress who brought us our food was very nice and made sure we had everything we needed. We told her how much we enjoyed our food and she recommended the roast beef on Sundays, so we will be back soon !!!

Would reccommend to everyone, whether it's just for a drink or a good quality meal as well!!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank SAK3081
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly place, good menu”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Whilst staying in the sefton hotel we nipped to this pub to get some lunch (fancied a decent pub burger) and to watch the Southampton vs Chelsea game and we were impressed with the selection available (not by the football or the result!). Went for the peanut satay chicken burger which was pretty nice and generous in portion size. My relatives enjoyed theirs too.

Would be even better if the sound was on the tv's when games are on but we enjoyed our time there all the same.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“xmas cheer”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I visited the Buccaneer in Babbacombe Devon across the xmas period and found it to be a really lovely place to go and relax and eat , the food on offer was tremendous , very high quality and priced well , but it was the atmosphere and the staff that made it special , the landlord Steve and his wife and family work hard to make you feel like your a local always taking time to talk to you which was great .
The area is stunning and the position of the pub is second to none in terms of views from the front deck.
Ive already spoken to them about coming down and staying there in one of their wonderfully fitted out rooms (I couldn't believe how reasonable they were considering the location) and it certainly made my xmas break .
My recommendation is if your looking to come to the stunning South Devon coast then drop in and use the Buccaneer ..`you definitely wont be disappointed in any shape or form'...PB.

Torquay, United Kingdom
“Downright Dangerous”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

What a let down. Every now and then, a trip to the Buc for one of their sail boat potato's would set me up a treat. As of today, I'm going to steer well clear. I can only put it down to the Sunday rush, but the chef at the very least should be given the push.
Not only did I find a hair in my potato (which I didn't kick up a fuss about), but some way in, I found myself chewing on not one, but two sharp bits of plastic!!!!! More than likely they had come off the lip of a plastic food container.
The real let down was the manager's off hand attitude to the incident: eager to take the evidence off me, but dismissing it all to his head waitress as 'a problem'. All I got from the waitress was a promise that the matter would be 'investigated'. No offer of recompense or anything in the way of an apology.
Needless to say, this is downright negligent, not to mention a potential health hazard. I shall be notifying the authorities in due course.

1 Thank Joe B
Buccaneermanagement, Owner at The Buccaneer Inn, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Joe B –For the benefit of readers of your review and this response, I will elaborate on the full nature of what occurred. Initially though, may I say that despite your review, as you left no food on your plate we are very glad that you still enjoyed your meal. From what you wrote you obviously enjoyed previous meals here too, though you chose not to post favourable reviews on those occasions;- a shame, but very telling.
On the day in question we were in the middle of an extremely busy period when you bought the plastic to me (the Landlord) at the bar, so as I had no time to deal with the matter myself I handed it over to my wife (the landlady and kitchen manager, not a waitress) and left her to attend to you whilst I continued serving. This was not done in an off-hand manner; it was done efficiently and quickly so that I could continue serving other customers. It was certainly not ‘taking evidence off you’, it was simply placing it (and yourself) with the joint business proprietor for investigation, which she politely told you she was going to do immediately (this despite your abrupt manner, repeated accusations of negligence and firm hints for immediate compensation).
When you realised that before we first investigated where the plastic came from you were not going to get an instant refund, free drinks or some other compensation, you left the Buccaneer without waiting for my wife to return from the kitchen to talk to you.
It is unfortunate that you did not wait, because we quickly established that the plastic was indeed off a food container (chutney to be exact) that was probably damaged in transit from our supplier, and so aswell as a sincere apology we would have made an offer of an immediate refund or a free meal and drinks in the future.
The presence of plastic in one of our meals is of course of great concern and very regrettable, but in no way negligent as there was no procedural failure by us or our staff that caused the plastic to be present. A small piece of clear plastic can unfortunately become camouflaged amongst a large portion of chutney, as you can bear witness to because you did not spot it before placing it in your mouth.
To reassure any reader of this review, our investigation has established the reason for the plastic being in the chutney, and preventative measures have been put in place to ensure no repeat of this type of incident, as far as is practicable. We would also however like to re-assert that any complaints are always investigated to establish if they are genuine before compensation is offered, for obvious reasons.
Finally, regarding the hair that was mentioned, as it was not produced at the time we have to suspect that this is an ‘embellishment’ of the complaint and review to give it more detrimental emphasis.