“Great food - Warm welcome”

The Singing Kettle Tea Room and Eatery
Ranked #2 of 27 Coffee & Tea in Torquay
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Singing Kettle is a small family run establishment serving home made scones, cakes, cookies, soups, sandwiches & lite meals including a vast gluten free menu and now a diabetic cream tea . We use local produce, suppliers and Fair Trade product where ever possible. We offer free Wi-Fi and have superfast broadband and are proud to have received 'The Certificate of Excellence' for the fourth year running.
Jersey, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food - Warm welcome”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Have just returned to Jersey from a 4 day break in Torquay. We were so impressed with The Singing Kettle that we went there every day for lunch / snack. The food is great as is the service and the atmosphere is friendly and welcoming. I can recommend the cheese scone with onion marmalade and cream cheese - a savoury twist on a classic favourite ! Many thanks to Marlene and her husband and daughter. We will certainly be back once we are in Torquay again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Chris K

Bristol, England
“Yum”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Fancying a change of scenery from TLH, my husband and I walked down to the Singing Kettle. Arriving for a late lunch, there was plenty to tempt us at very fair prices. I chose the homemade tomato soup, accompanied by a hot, freshly baked cheese scone. My husband enjoyed a ham baguette with fresh salad and coleslaw. The highlight however was a fresh, warm, light crumbly scone with clotted cream and jam. Yum yum yum! Will return on my next visit to Torquay.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank MissyH1973
Newton Abbot
“Always a warm welcome”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I visited The Singing Kettle on New Years day. I chose the small breakfast from the reduced menu but noticed that they still had a full specials board available, it was as good as ever and well worth the trip. The owner Marlene and her staff greeted all the customers with the usual happy greeting despite having to work on new years day. The ambiance and décor give the Singing Kettle a warm, traditional feel and it always looks clean.
I always say that the sign of a reliable place to go is where the locals return again and again, which they do at the Kettle, myself included. There are lots of familiar faces I see when I call in, from Stella and Joe who have been going there for years, to David who always sits by the counter and chats away either to the staff or himself!!

• Visited January 2014
Olton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic omelettes”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I too eat regularly at The Kettle and have sat with the gentleman mentioned in a previous review and I cant say that I have heard him make any noises that would put me off eating there.
Also I do know that the The Kettle was decorated in the first year that the new owners took over and now a very nice fire has been installed.
If you have not been to this place yet its well worth a visit .
They do the best cream teas in the bay

Grantham, United Kingdom
“great disappointment”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We visited the café prompted by the great reviews on trip advisor. What a disappointment.The only hot food on offer was soup, which was not very good - noodles very soggy, overcooked or shall I say - overmicrowaved. The café décor is tired, dos not feel entirely clean, the menu and staff 's attitude (ie.what else did you expect?) stuck in the last century- no real cooking going on or any fresh food available. A local man sat at the table next to the serving counter making some awful gargling noises, which put you off any food in an instant. No apologies made, it must be a usual occurrence.I can't understand all these fantastic reviews as we usually follow trip advisor and have done this time, visiting really wonderful cafes in Bath and Stratford upon Avon - perhaps standards are different / lower in Torquay? Would never go back to this place.

• Visited January 2014