“Great food... let's go again”
Review of Reah Brothers at The Pavilion - CLOSED

Reah Brothers at The Pavilion
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2012

A long, long time ago I was in a restaurant with my Aunt and, because the lighting was so subdued, she struck a match to inspect her dinner when it was served.
It was bit like that here... but I didn’t have any matches. The waiter sympathised but explained that when all of the lights are on it’s too bright.
I can see that, on a bright summer’s evening the light streaming through the historic windows would be great... but on a dismal, moist March evening I think that I’d have been prepared to take a risk and switch the lights on (or get some free-standing lamps).

That, though, is about all the criticism I can offer... the restaurant is located in the upper floor of fantastic old building on the harbour-side. It’s a large but pleasant room. I like the sails in the ceiling, the decent tablecloths and proper napkins. The staff were pleasant, approachable and able to explain menu items when asked. Talking of the menu... the one we had was printed on standard A4 paper. It seemed to be a long term menu, rather than just for today, so I think I’d invest in some higher quality paper, more in keeping with the overall feel of the place.
The wine list is nicely laid out, comprehensive without being overwhelming and had some interesting and unusual options at reasonable prices.

The food was good... scallops to start were tasty, of good texture and cooked well. The puree and sauce was good too. My wife had bream with crab cake and seafood veloute. All of which was excellent... although the generously sized crab cake was a bit lacking in crab flavour (actually a lot lacking).

My pork belly was rather good. Less fatty than some you come across meaning the meat was of a firmer texture but that’s the way I like it. The chicken, chorizo & bean stew upon which it was served was quite refined and full of flavour. The star of the whole meal, though, was the crackling... dry crisp and melt in the mouth. How do they get it like that?

Desserts of chocolate and salted caramel tart with ice cream and a lemon brulee with ice cream were very good too.

We went on a Groupon offer... sometimes you feel that on these deals you may be getting a ‘little less’ than proper customers. That wasn’t the case here... we had a very pleasant evening out with good food and service and would certainly be happy to pay full price next time. Sort out the lighting, though, eh?

1  Thank eyecooper

Reviewed March 18, 2012

The Pavillion is ideal for a lunch time drink in the summer. Sat outside on the balcony superb view of Torquay harbour.For a centre establishment the drinks are reasonably priced.There is also a large selection of food available.Worth a visit we go there a number of times in the summer when the weather is OK.

John & Sue in Torquay

Reviewed February 4, 2012

This was great. The setting is the beautiful Pavilion on the front and we ate there on a wet and windy Saturday evening. The food was beautifully prepared, with seafood being the speciality, which we had, but my eyes darted over at other people's steaks which looked equally good. One of my reasons to really love a place is whether I want to try the items on the menu for my next occasion, and looking at the food coming out of the kitchen, this place met this criteria. There is a lovely looking terrace which no doubt is packed during the summer months. This is a must do if you're in the area. Very friendly and lovely service-it's a family run business, and they're doing it right. We loved it.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

First time to this restaurant and would definitely go again. Good service throughout - bar and restaurant. Meal was great, I had red mullet, partner had goats cheese, followed by herb crusted cod for both of us and then an eton mess and sticky toffee. No complaints at all, well cooked, nicely presented. Good selection of wines.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Booked a 4 day stay at the Imperial Hotel from 24th Dec but wanted to eat out in local restaurants. Trawled the internet to find places which were open over this period. Contacted Reah Bros. via their web site and booked a table for 8pm Boxing Day night.

Arrived early, ordered a pre-dinner drink and were very surprised to be told we were the only booking for that night. The interior of the Pavilion is magnificent and surely warrants more people using it. We had a fantastic meal, tempura king prawns as starter were superb and our main course of pan fried salmon was exceptional - one of the best meals we have ever had. It did not spoil the ambiance that there were only the two of us - very good menu (6 starters, 8 mains, 5 desserts plus cheese board) , beautiful place settings, linen tablecloth & napkins plus a reasonably priced wine list.

A lot of restaurants may well have decided to cancel the booking as we were the solitary one - it would have been possible as they had our name and also the name of the hotel where we were staying.

Really glad they did not - rest assured should we return to Torquay we would definitely eat there again.

Give it a try - you will not be disappointed.

Thank you Reah Bros.